As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Using +2 naval movement on pangaea. yuris125 of England

Oledavy's offer ended up being a countdown, it came up again with 9g this turn. Well, let's hope it works smile

Well, this is shit. It was NOT a countdown after all. Oledavy accepted my reply to his offer. We're at war with Seven, and I lost 2 Longbows and a Great General. I didn't expect war to start right now, and I didn't expect it to start on Seven's turn!

The 10 turns is the (automatically put in) minimum duration of the war.
I don't know if there is a declare in 10 turns option in MP.

Yeah I already realised that. I just absolutely didn't expect Oledavy to accept. His last offer was war from both of us, 9g from him. I changed it to 10g to indicate that I was going to declare a turn after and sent it back. And he accepted. Damn. It's annoying, and loss of 2 Longbows and my only GG is painful

The dangers of hidden messages in diplomatic offerings combined with the marvelous, intuitive and easy to understand interface of Civ 5 alright

Well, I could be in trouble. Str15 Longbows don't do much against str22 cities Seven has, and I ignored the Metal Casting/Steel branch completely, so don't have melee units better than Swordsmen. Ignoring Metal Casting was a mistake in any case, because I could not (and still can't) build Workshops. Although my income never was good enough to support Workshops

Anyway, now I really need to get to Rifling as quickly as possible, and even that probably won't be quick enough

Ok, that means you cant hurt his cities, can he hurt yours though?

I can hurt his cities, if I spawn another great general and get lucky with RNG smile Or if I build enough units, any attack deals at least 1dmg in Civ5, so 10 Longbows attacking a city can kill it even if its strength is 3 times higher

Seven has Cannons, so he can hurt me if I'm not careful. Longbows + Knights should be able to defend, as long as I'm prepared. I don't have siege weapons at all, pre-Cannon siege weapons require iron which I didn't have until recently, and Longbows are better because they deal comparable damage and can attack from farther away. But I do need Cannons for Renaissance era combat

Techs I currently have:

Astronomy
Chivalry
Machinery
Construction
Iron Working

and all pre-reqs. I also have will get a great scientist in 3 turns. The plan is to build a Caravel to explore the inner sea and figure out if Ships of the Line will be any help. If so, I will bulb Navigation. If not, I will research Metal Casting - Physics - Steel - Gunpowder and bulb Chemistry. It's not too bad

Well, it looks like Seven researched Rifling on the same turn I researched Metal Casting. And he has a lot of gold for upgrades. This is going to be... interesting. I only see 1 Rifle so far, but I'm sure more will be coming

T100

This is what I saw after opening the save

[Image: Civ5Screen0153.jpg]

2 units I had in the region were both killed, and it looks like Seven will take the city easily. Probably even more cities in the south

Looking back, I made a huge mistake by not researching the Steel branch earlier. Yes, Longswords are not that great, especially when there is no iron around, but this branch is a pre-req for Metallurgy and Rifling, which are both key techs. And didn't concentrate on producing great scientists, I'm sure they played big part in Seven's teching

The war against Seven was necessary; the misunderstanding in diplo hurt me, but not that much. But I did not realise how far ahead in tech he was. I probably would've lost this war in any case

Well, I'll do my best to defend. I thought about burning my great scientist on Steel, or spending my whole bank on a Castle in this city. Decided against both, losing the city will hurt me a lot, but won't be the end of the world either. As long as I survive and keep my core, I will still be able to do something, and the great scientist should be spent on a more expensive tech

Keeping as many of my cities as possible with inferior units is what I will need to concentrate on now