As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

I Remember You: The Return of an Ice King (Spoiler)

Wow, that really stinks.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(April 14th, 2013, 15:36)Ellimist Wrote: [Image: Illiansgone.jpg]

Sorry things didn't work out better, Selrahc. Thanks for playing.

My condolences for your horrible luck. Any parting thoughts?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Really, I might have been able to do a slight hanging in, but I was blindsided twice by the Mistform. The first time, I didn't realize he was able to enter borders since I was working on the misconception that Mistforms had been changed to animal AI. I carried on playing as normal and he wiped out my worker. Then he caused havoc for a dozen turns, then vanished into the ether. For another dozen turns afterwards I was unmolested, I got another worker out, and tried to play catch up. I even managed to build a farm. And then suddenly the Mistform was back, killed my replacement worker and started murdering my warriors at a frightening rate.

I've had bad dungeon luck before. There isn't really much to do about it... in my single player games I'm less cavalier about popping the early dungeons. But I've tried doing that in MP games, and just found myself losing out time and time again to those who pushed lairs and found a great person. So you have to tilt at the fences, or you're out of the race. But sometimes you stumble at them and you're out of the race anyway.