As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

So the pretty-for-a-pol one? What is the difference between Far Right Classic and Populist? Sounds like Coke flavors.

I'd say the whole right/left thing is a Shelling Point that obfuscates more than helps anymore, but France is where it came from, so. :shrug:
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(February 20th, 2018, 23:16)Commodore Wrote: So the pretty-for-a-pol one? What is the difference between Far Right Classic and Populist? Sounds like Coke flavors.

I'd say the whole right/left thing is a Shelling Point that obfuscates more than helps anymore, but France is where it came from, so. :shrug:
Marion's rhetoric and general political idea is to go back to the good old 19th century where France was white straight and catholic. With death penalty, law and order etc... That's the classic far right. Marine is less conservative on those issues and tells the people to take the power back from [insert whoever she's targetting in that speech]. That's more populist.
Overall Marion is more popular than her aunt with the classic christian conservative right.

Edit : Also on economic issues Marion embraces classic screw-the-people right wing economic policies while Marine is more of a mixed bag.

I suppose the difference is keeping the africans as servants vs kicking out all the africans

(February 21st, 2018, 04:18)AdrienIer Wrote: Marion's rhetoric and general political idea is to go back to the good old 19th century where France was white straight and catholic. With death penalty, law and order etc...

And no Woman's suffrage

(February 21st, 2018, 05:17)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: I suppose the difference is keeping the africans as servants vs kicking out all the africans

Meh, both want to kick them out. It's one of their main point of agreement.

(February 21st, 2018, 08:07)Rowain Wrote:
(February 21st, 2018, 04:18)AdrienIer Wrote: Marion's rhetoric and general political idea is to go back to the good old 19th century where France was white straight and catholic. With death penalty, law and order etc...

And no Woman's suffrage

You don't need to go as far as the 19th century for that. In France women only got to vote in 46.

I feel that I have to do one final Senate update in order to avoid looking dumb. This is because the GOP is struggling to track down good candidates. So here we go--it's time to not give the GOP the benefit of the doubt. If Mueller pwns or the economy tanks this list doesn't count.

MI: Easy to understand.
MN-S: Not comfortable to put in solid even if the GOP fails because she has never campaigned before.
ME: Vote-splitting won't be enough if he's against two ham sandwiches.
MT: Trump won by 20%+ so I'm not comfortable putting it in likely but I would see why you would do it. The current GOP frontrunner is annoying.
FL: Toss-up if Scott declares.
ND: GOP pulled through here.
MO: GOP frontrunner is weak but the incumbent is a bit weak too. A third-party run will also hamper her as the left likes wasting their vote more.
TN: It looks like the current GOP frontrunner could lose. I expect that this will be an illusion as the DEMs run against Trump in an attempt to take back the House. I consider the House to be a toss-up, or maybe even a slight D-tilt, after the PA decision.
TX: That 8% poll was from all adults; not likely voters. That's very bad news for the DEMs here as whites vote far more than other ethic groups in TX and it's far more racially polarized in TX than AZ. On top of that what will happen in TN will happen here too.

Solid D: HI, CA, MA, MD, VT, NY, WA, RI, MN, CT, DE, NM, NJ, VA, MI
Likely D: MN-S, PA, ME
D-Favored: WI, OH, MT, FL
Toss-Ups: AZ, MO, IN, NV, ND
R-Favored: WV
Likely R: TN
Solid R: WY, UT, NE, MS, TX

See you guys in November.

It's come to my attention that ranked-choice voting very likely be in for ME. They will still have primaries through so the political system will be the same but you can no longer be spoilered. ME is now Solid D. He has a 20% lead on the governor already. So my final list is:

Solid D: HI, CA, MA, MD, VT, NY, WA, RI, MN, CT, DE, NM, NJ, VA, ME, MI*
Likely D: MN-S, PA
D-Favored: WI, OH, MT, FL*
Toss-Ups: AZ, MO, IN, NV, ND
Likely R: TN

*Move down one level if GOP successfully recruits.

Well there will be an MS-S after all. I would slot it in at Likely R but my list cannot be updated anymore because I've tuned out politics. If he tries to take out Wicker that won't work because of what happened with Moore so MS is still safe.

I'm surprised at people not commenting AfD becoming official opposition and the possible LOL of League/5SM (very unlikely but possible).

Edit: Screw it, I'll just guess if the GOP successfully recruits and slot in MS-S. FL is very likely to be successful because of Scott's gun-control reaction and so I put MI to be unsuccessful to balance things off. This list was made on Feb. 22 and then updated in response to things on Mar. 6. ME got bumped up due to rank-choice voting, FL got bumped down due to Scott obviously running and MS-S got added.

Solid D: HI, CA, MA, MD, VT, NY, WA, RI, MN, CT, DE, NM, NJ, VA, ME, MI
Likely D: MN-S, PA
D-Favored: WI, OH, MT
Toss-Ups: AZ, MO, IN, NV, ND, FL
Likely R: TN, MS-S

What is AfD, LOL, and League/5SM?

Darrell

AfD is the German far right, M5S is the Italian populist movement that just "won" the elections, league is the Italian far right that made a big push