As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic Release thread : latest version 6.06!

(October 14th, 2015, 02:17)Seravy Wrote: All "Cavalry" have first strike, except orc. So the baseline is having first strike, and the lack of it is a disadvantage.

I don't follow. Orcs are the baseline units. They were deliberately created with no special abilities. If there is any error, it is High Men Cavalry being priced at 40 when they should be at 60.

Quote:Horsebowmen are not "Cavalry" they are a special unit. (and it's quite pointless to have first strike when the bow does the same thing better)

Have you looked at Horsebowmen? They're right where cavalry should be in the Nomad build line, and Nomads don't have cavalry. Their stats are identical to High Men Cavalry, except they have first strike removed and ranged attack added. They cost 60 which is in line with the other cavalry that have special attacks (except the High Men Cavalry discount). After they shoot their bows, they fight in melee as regular no-frills cavalry. This is one of the things that makes them such a great unit, they're one of the only ones in the game that are good at both ranged and melee.

Quote:First Strike enchantment? I believe that would cause balance issues, it is a very powerful ability, although I like the idea...
The problem is I don't have any spells left that I would want to remove in any realm. The last one was Unminding but I already used that for a new, poison element direct damage spell, which Death needed really badly. I even used up all item power slots that could be used.
An even bigger problem is that every single bit in the Unit Enchantments flags is in use so it's impossible to add a new enchantment without permanently removing another one.

Well, put it in an item or something. How about a spell to give units other abilities, like wall crushing or fire immunity or large shield? How about scouting, or lucky? Summon demon is just itching to be made into a very rare unit enchantment and people would play your mod just to be able to cast the spell.

Aww, you took away Zaldron's Counter Magic spell? That's one of the things that made him so great. He was good from the beginning of the game all the way to the end. He was the only way to get that spell if you weren't playing blue. It's like how Serena is the only way to get Healing if you're not in white.

(October 15th, 2015, 00:41)Tiltowait Wrote: Aww, you took away Zaldron's Counter Magic spell?
It was completely useless without the slider and I removed the slider from heroes because of the problem with free slider for spells from items.
If someone can fix the bug in a better way so that it only removes the slider from the spell on the item, let me know and I'll restore the spell. At the moment I have no idea how the game distinguishes the spell from the item and normal spells.
Pumping spells for free is a pretty serious exploit, I rather not have the feature than to keep the bug.

Edit : as far as I can tell it does not store the fact it is casting a slider spell anywhere. It only checks "is this spell in the item" when subtracting the mana, if yes it removes a charge instead. To fix this we would need to do the check, which is easy for the AI, but in case of the player item spells are chosen from the same book as other spells, to tell them apart we would need to manually check the item, and there is no space in code for that.
Short answer : cannot be done in a reasonable amount of time, if at all. As there are only 3 spells remaining with a slider (Counter, Dispel, Disjunction), I'm not going to try, it's not important enough.

Quote:Well, put it in an item or something. How about a spell to give units other abilities, like wall crushing or fire immunity or large shield? How about scouting, or lucky? Summon demon is just itching to be made into a very rare unit enchantment and people would play your mod just to be able to cast the spell.

I think buffing units isn't very Death like.
Fire Immunity is available in the item power "Inner Fire".
Lucky is available in "Divine Protection".

Wall Crushing is redundant, Disrupt and Cracks Call already lets you destroy walls and you can use Spell Charges to put them into your sword or staff or axe or whatever.

Large Shield is only a situational 2 def, don't see the point, there are plenty of non-situational defense buffs.

Scouting isn't powerful enough to research a spell for it, and we have Earth Lore and Nature's Eye already, both better.

But as I already said, items are also full. I've used all 4 available item power slots for new powers. You have :
-Divine Protection, grants Lucky and Death Immunity
-Inner Fire, grants +1 attack, Fire and Cold Immunity, Immolation
-Merging that now works
-Teleporting which grants Endurance (+1 to defend and +1 move) and Teleporting movement type.

Summon Demon might not look that impressive but it's opening up all Death realm combat spells for use except the very rares, so it's awesome to have if you miss any of those spells. It's also the cheapest caster 40 unit in the game if used overland which makes it quite powerful.

Oh, and try to see if you can get the alchemy slider to only use even numbers when converting. It's annoying having to play with it and it's always giving you odd numbers.

(October 15th, 2015, 06:20)Tiltowait Wrote: Oh, and try to see if you can get the alchemy slider to only use even numbers when converting. It's annoying having to play with it and it's always giving you odd numbers.

If anything, I would like to have it allow a higher amount of conversion at once like 2000 or 10000, but I think this is a low priority problem.

(October 15th, 2015, 01:05)Seravy Wrote: Summon Demon might not look that impressive but it's opening up all Death realm combat spells for use except the very rares, so it's awesome to have if you miss any of those spells. It's also the cheapest caster 40 unit in the game if used overland which makes it quite powerful.
It's the unit ability Summon Demon, you're thinking of the summoning spell Demon Lord. The unit ability just lets the caster summon Demons x3. This would be bad-ass.

(October 15th, 2015, 13:38)Tiltowait Wrote:
(October 15th, 2015, 01:05)Seravy Wrote: Summon Demon might not look that impressive but it's opening up all Death realm combat spells for use except the very rares, so it's awesome to have if you miss any of those spells. It's also the cheapest caster 40 unit in the game if used overland which makes it quite powerful.
It's the unit ability Summon Demon, you're thinking of the summoning spell Demon Lord. The unit ability just lets the caster summon Demons x3. This would be bad-ass.

No, the mod actually has Summon Demon as a spell at very rare. And they have Caster 40. And, you can use it in combat or overland. (and yes, Demon Lord can summon 3 of them)
Wait, didn't you say to replace the SPELL Summon Demon with a SPELL that grants an ability?
I'm starting to get confused.

Ohhh you mean a spell that grants "Summon Demon" ability to units. Now that's an interesting idea. It wouldn't work for technical reasons, though.
The procedure that applies abilities granted by buffs is run every combat turn. When Summon Demon is used, it just removes the ability from the unit, as base abilities do not get updated, they are only moved over when the unit is entering the combat.

Unless...if I made it happen where the unit is entering the combat then it would work.

Problem is this :
Unit Enchantments, the doubleword containing flags for the enchants, is full. Every bit is used by something.
Wait...Stone Skin is free, I removed the spell. This might actually be doable, although a lot of work.

Isn't it more straightforward just to summon the demon yourself? Or let your heroes do it for 50mp using the normal spell?
Do we really need Paladins, Golems, Warships and Catapults summoning demons?

If anything, I would rather put "Summon Demon" on a suitable normal unit by default, like how Warlocks have Doom Bolt but the problem is, Demons are far too powerful with Caster 40 to do so.

Trying to play the mod, but I've unzipped the latest version into the game root directory and don't think that it has worked properly. When playing nature I still have Stone Skin and Giant Strength listed in the spell list despite it saying they've been removed and replaced in the documentation. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

(October 15th, 2015, 15:22)MrBiscuits Wrote: Trying to play the mod, but I've unzipped the latest version into the game root directory and don't think that it has worked properly. When playing nature I still have Stone Skin and Giant Strength listed in the spell list despite it saying they've been removed and replaced in the documentation. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

That's interesting.
-Check if you actually overwrote the file when unzipping
-Did you run the correct game? I believe you have tried multiple mods so I think you have more than one game folder.

If you did it right, spelldat.lbx should say 2015-10-13 for the date.

Also, did you install the proper folder? The zip contains a subfolder for changing portraits, but you need to first install the main folder even if you want to use that option.

(October 15th, 2015, 15:37)Seravy Wrote:
(October 15th, 2015, 15:22)MrBiscuits Wrote: Trying to play the mod, but I've unzipped the latest version into the game root directory and don't think that it has worked properly. When playing nature I still have Stone Skin and Giant Strength listed in the spell list despite it saying they've been removed and replaced in the documentation. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

That's interesting.
-Check if you actually overwrote the file when unzipping
-Did you run the correct game? I believe you have tried multiple mods so I think you have more than one game folder.

If you did it right, spelldat.lbx should say 2015-10-13 for the date.

Also, did you install the proper folder? The zip contains a subfolder for changing portraits, but you need to first install the main folder even if you want to use that option.

Whoops you were right, I'd installed it correctly but the shortcut was still pointing to the Master of Magic folder rather than the new one I'd made for the mod. Doh.

Well, I didn't know you had changed demons. Usually they're not accessible at all. Having a spell to give Summon Demon x3 would have some cool name like "evil chosen one" with some entertaining flavor text, a high research cost and a high maintenance cost. It would be like having an item enchanted with Phantom Warriors x3, except cooler. It's not workable if they all have Caster 40, summon demon ability is overpowered to begin with and this just pushes it over the edge. Well, just go down the list of unit abilities, I'm sure there's one of them that can be turned into a spell. http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Unit..._Abilities Have a "necromancers" spell that gives a unit the ability to create undead, but it doesn't turn undead itself. Get creative with it.