As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Heroes and abilities

What if we drop the drawback and simply do

"This unit cannot take more than 5 damage from any attack or attack spell"?

Think it would suit chaos more than death - "warp physics" or something like that. Matches the theme of Warp Reality and Doom that chaos can ignore the normal combat rules. And a Chaos defensive ability is likely what heroes need the most - all other realms have at least something for this except Chaos.

Problems : Too much synergy with healing magic (albeit zero synergy with other defensive item powers, as this would be applied last) and making the hero able to actually withstand doom damage.
Another shady area would be Crack's Call and Wave of Despair still bypassing this effect (and maybe even other special spells that do not go through the normal attack spell procedure and ignore defenses)
Also it's not that great for a Chaos wizard in practice, because they can't heal at all so the hero still ends up dead, just not as quickly.

(December 22nd, 2017, 12:20)Seravy Wrote: What if we drop the drawback and simply do

"This unit cannot take more than 5 damage from any attack or attack spell"?

Think it would suit chaos more than death - "warp physics" or something like that. Matches the theme of Warp Reality and Doom that chaos can ignore the normal combat rules. And a Chaos defensive ability is likely what heroes need the most - all other realms have at least something for this except Chaos.

Problems : Too much synergy with healing magic (albeit zero synergy with other defensive item powers, as this would be applied last) and making the hero able to actually withstand doom damage.
Another shady area would be Crack's Call and Wave of Despair still bypassing this effect (and maybe even other special spells that do not go through the normal attack spell procedure and ignore defenses)
Also it's not that great for a Chaos wizard in practice, because they can't heal at all so the hero still ends up dead, just not as quickly.

I like this, chaos high men crusaders to the rescue!

Channels: hero gains all 3 chaos channels buffs and counts as a fantastic unit.
Ferocity: hero gains increasing bonuses based on how much he is wounded.

Chaos Channel is permanent, it would stick to the hero after removing the item.

I like Ferocity. (and it would be a really nice combo with that "no more than 5 damage" ability if we do want to remove flaming.)

Ferocity is easy to do and I see no particular drawback to adding it. Fits Chaos and Death both quite well, too.

If added, I think it should be something around +1 attack strength per damage taken and +1 defense per 2 damage taken or maybe 2/3 defense for each 1 damage? Yeah, 1 attack and 2/3 defense sounds about right. Not sure about resistance, probably none of that.

I rather name it something like Anger or Vengeance though.

Wait, I see one big problem with this. Exaltation and other max health granting effects. You can literally have your hero have 32 damage taken while it is still at its original health if you use Exaltation on it 4 times. That's bad.
Wait, I guess we can subtract extra health from the damage taken and ignore it so then there is no problem.

This would stack with whatever other defensive bonus the unit has though so it does not have the advantage of the other one that it isn't cumulative with other ways of reducing damage.

Can you make it percentage based? lose 25% life get +1 attack +1 defense lose 50% life get +3 attack +3 defense lose 75% life gain +4 attack +4 defense +1 to hit, lose 90% life gain +5 attack +5 defense +1 to hit +1 to defend?

Feel free to change numbers, but percentages prevent maxhp shenigans that turn +5maxhp into +5 to all stats.
I really like ferocity, it seems simple and fun and interesting, you could give ferocity to death and warp physics to chaos or vica versa?

My problem with Ferocity is that it makes already hard to kill Life heroes even more impossible to kill.
It might be better to have something that does not stack with all other defensive abilities.

I wouldn't give them any extra defenses. I'd do more like +1 to hit per 5 damage taken (note I'm specifically using +to hit so as to put a cap on it so that a hero with 50+ HP doesn't get astronomical stats), and +1 to combat speed per 10 damage taken.

That sounds...useless. Well the attack part, Chaos has no problems with dealing damage though heroes, it has problems with keeping the alive. And the last thing I would want a damaged hero to do is to attack things (unless it applies to ranged as well). Movement would be useful but I can't add it easily.

Now that I think about it, the last thing I would ever want is a hero with lots of damage on it. So this item power would be useless no matter what - it rewards a situation you will try to avoid in the first place. Aside from making already near immortal heroes completely immortal through a massive defense boost, I can't imagine any situation where I'd want damage on my hero in exchange for higher stats.

*shrug* I agree with you that defense would be too stromg. Giving someone like torin (or anyone with super constitution) +6 to hit seems fantastic to me.