As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Couldn't they already do that before?

Really, in this day and age where everyone has a web browser on their phone, a situation where you can't make a quick post here that something came up should be extremely rare. Slip into the bathroom and spend the 60 seconds to make a post during your 24 hour emergency IT shift or family emergency... whatever. More likely is (it needs to be said) people who miss the turn roll and don't post about it are just selfish and irresponsible. It's holding up the time of 32 other people and you signed up for it so you have the responsibility to stick with it.

So that's the answer, don't be selfish, keep communication open, and I can't see what the complaint could be.

Well, I do feel like saying, WLP, that my phone does not have internet or web access. I'm probably not in a situation where I'll miss a turn, but if an emergency does come up, I'm unlikely to be in a position where I can post on this forum.

Completed: PB 28, PBEM 55, PB 18, PBEM 60, some other stuff, PB 2

I've been in the situation where I was unable to post (at Christmas this past year) but I feel like this is rare enough that we can accept a permanent pinch hitter. Its the only way well get a decent turn pace, and if people have lost interest this fast, turns would be excruciating in 50 turns time without Gaspar.

The crowd begins shouting... "Let him play! Let him play! Let him play!"... lol

(May 30th, 2014, 20:48)Whosit Wrote: Well, I do feel like saying, WLP, that my phone does not have internet or web access. I'm probably not in a situation where I'll miss a turn, but if an emergency does come up, I'm unlikely to be in a position where I can post on this forum.

In a true emergency, I think missing a single turn is not something that will be high on one's list of problems.

And a missed turn being an actual emergency is unlikely enough that we should not be accepting multi-hour pauses every turn just in case it's a real emergency.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

Okay, how about we have a list, with two categories: People who are okay with Gaspar playing for them, and people who would rather just allow the turn to roll.

For the record, I emailed my PW to Gaspar yesterday. I have already held the turn twice due to a combination of circumstances beyond my control and not having access to RB after Calderon finished server maintenance, I would much rather someone (anyone!) play for me than waste people's time again.

Yes, in a true emergency, I doubt anyone would think much about this game. The main reason I posted what I said is because I find it a bit annoying when people assume that everyone has 24/7 access to the internet in all situations.

Completed: PB 28, PBEM 55, PB 18, PBEM 60, some other stuff, PB 2

(May 30th, 2014, 21:23)Whosit Wrote: Yes, in a true emergency, I doubt anyone would think much about this game. The main reason I posted what I said is because I find it a bit annoying when people assume that everyone has 24/7 access to the internet in all situations.

I'm not sure that that is the assumption. Speaking for myself, I know that things come up, internet/power service is interrupted, people get sick, etc. But in general, and we as a group have been over this a number of times now, I think having Gaspar as a backstop >>>> retire to AI/missed turn. In a number of scenarios where you may run a chance of missing a turn, a quick message to the tech thread, even via mobile phone in most cases, combined with a quick signpost in game should give Gaspar enough instruction to not totally derail your game, which the AI would do. I think a missed turn is generally less bad than the AI, which is the ultimate fallback if we lose a player for 2+ turns.

While I don't necessarily want Gaspar running my civ without knowing my plans, I'm glad he's around and willing to save us all from the AI and infinite pauses.

---

I have added nothing to this conversation. +1 post count.

I'm adding another voice to the "home internet goes down->no internet access" pool, just for reference--mine's been reliable recently (since I switched over to Google DNS), but that's still a possibility with how horrible my internet/cable provider can be.

And of course, if we need more people in the lurker pool, we just need to start killing players more quickly hammer