As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

FTL - Faster Than Light

Zip the continue.sav, attach to post. It's near the bottom.

Also, it's kinda scary how little variance there is in the saves.

Read through, nice reports guys smile

I think the sector winner so far is Molach, on fuel and scrap.

One point I want to disagree with is Nicolae's stance on boarding. I actually think it makes the game much easier due to the increased loot, and unless you are on the osprey (damned artillery beam!!!) it's not particularly hard to micro . Generally I find as long as you have at least one mantis boarding is fine.

(February 23rd, 2013, 05:50)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: Zip the continue.sav, attach to post. It's near the bottom.

Also, it's kinda scary how little variance there is in the saves.

I may have absentmindedly closed ftl without saving... smoke I'll get it right the next time

I think there may be more variance after sector 1. As you said at the beginning of your write up the kestrel is a solid overall ship, unless you find something really cool there isn't really a better build path in sector 1 than just upping your defenses.

Oh, it's definitely much easier once you know how to board because of increased scrap rewards.

Also, Osprey is actually an excellent boarding ship. It starts with a Rock and Mantis, and the teleporter is fairly close to the medbay. Just make sure to depower the artillery beam, it's not like you'll need to punch through shields once you have a good boarding crew set up (unless you need to shoot your opponent's medbay).

FTL is surely an interesting game, fun to play, but it has one crucial problem: repetitiveness. I've beaten the game once and can't bring myself to fire it up again, and roguelikes are supposed to be replayable.

How about:
So, votes for the save to be used in REDish.
Votes for next sector in GREENish.

Reports due by (friday + 3) = tuesday night. GMT. Ish. Then vote by wednesday (can vote before & even change votes if a better save rolls in, just write it's a change from X so it's easy to keep track). At midnight, GMT, whoever first is on can pick the right save, advance to next sector and save&upload. Not sure I can do it but anyone could.

I see no problem with lurkers voting for saves - not sectors. But I'm irrational.

My save already advanced to next sector, so unless the vote is for the sector I chose, it is invalid.
I'll try a playthrough with exact same choices and see if I get same outcome, if not just leaving it.
EDIT: Playthrough gave a unfairly better result at one node - plus generally was just better at fighting - so not gonna upload it. If we go rebel need some other save than mine as I'm not playing it again.

Vote: Zoltan sector
(more possibilities for variance wih the zoltan, not just fighting. Even though it may be optimal. We will win easy regardless.)

Quote:FTL is surely an interesting game, fun to play, but it has one crucial problem: repetitiveness. I've beaten the game once and can't bring myself to fire it up again, and roguelikes are supposed to be replayable.

Agree, there seems to be certain tactics that really work better than others. Weapon-wise for example. And how to pimp the ship.
There could be 1000 more encounters, not a programmer (laugh) but since they do not require any graphic or advanced calculation I guess it's just a matter of coming up with them and writing the text.

After taking the save, Steam seems to have synched the save with all the unlocked ships to my account.

I really didn't want that. Anyone know how I can delete this so I can start again new? (Only had a handful of ships unlocked and would rather do it myself).

Thanks!
On average, everybody thinks they are above average.

I think that only happens if you copied over the prof.sav file.

Nevermind - figred it out.

As far as voting:
Sector - Zoltan
Save - NC (looks to be very close to Molach but includes the scrap scoop)
On average, everybody thinks they are above average.

It's a repair arm, not a scrap recovery arm. It suuuccks.

It repairs 1-2 hull every time you find scrap, but at the same time, scrap collection goes down by 15%. Each hull point is 2 scrap this early, so once you're regularly hitting 25+ scrap/encounter, it's actually a net loss.