As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Serdoa as DeGaulle of Maya

Nice test. If you saved your sim, you can see "new random seed" on the settings tab of the victory screen.

(May 8th, 2013, 15:55)Ceiliazul Wrote: Nice test. If you saved your sim, you can see "new random seed" on the settings tab of the victory screen.

The save was linked at the end.I tried to attach it to this post, but apparently:

"Please correct the following errors before continuing:

The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type."

Just click the link and download from my dropbox account if interested.

I ran the test to see what would happen with a GP produced entirely from overflow GP, that is, with no typed GP points after.

No GP is produced and the box remains full, and the counter is not incremented.

(May 8th, 2013, 18:49)Kofiman Wrote: I ran the test to see what would happen with a GP produced entirely from overflow GP, that is, with no typed GP points after.

No GP is produced and the box remains full, and the counter is not incremented.

This is also what happens if one gets only non-typed GP points for the first great person, like from the Great Wall with no espionage.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

It seems if you lose a tile due to culture you do lose it BEFORE the game calculates your commerce for that turn. That's kinda odd, as in PBEM it is the other way round. Anyhow, due to that I didn't finish a tech but instead I'm 4 beakers short of finishing it. Annoying.

(May 11th, 2013, 02:17)Serdoa Wrote: It seems if you lose a tile due to culture you do lose it BEFORE the game calculates your commerce for that turn. That's kinda odd, as in PBEM it is the other way round. Anyhow, due to that I didn't finish a tech but instead I'm 4 beakers short of finishing it. Annoying.

Maybe it depends on whose turn is processed first between you and the one you're culture warring with.
I have to run.

[Image: Sneakingupfrombehind.JPG]

Yeah, second place now. Not sure I can hold that at all, probably not, and maybe Commodore will kill a few of my cities, but I am happy with my performance in this PB, especially given my start and how much I hurt myself on top of it by wasting many turns early on not putting enough thought into how to play it best.

Meanwhile Xenu has 666 points :D
I don't get the defeatist attitude. Just go man~
Yeah, I'm not happy about my past behaviour either. shakehead

The thing is, leading the score-board alone doesn't do anything for you to win. I still have the least land of all contenders, I still have on all sides neighbours that would love to kill me, I still have many cities that could get razed easily and which are not probably only because it didn't make sense till now to do it. What happens if Commodore falls more behind and believes he can't win anymore? Right, he will simply smash himself into me, to have fun. That's how Commodore works. I basically have to make sure that Commodore can stay relevant, so that he isn't attacking me out of fear to throw his game away (which he would most certainly because at that point I wouldn't have to lose anything either).

That's btw a reason why I haven't attacked the Zulu yet, despite them opening their flank widely to me. Even if I take cities off them, that will only lead to Commodore feeling that I take what is rightfully his and again we are in a fight that neither side will win. Also the reason I have yet to advance on xenu. Not that I think that Commodore would see xenus cities as his. But if I took them my score would go up, latest 20 turns afterwards when I get the land points (plakos score for example is higher because he has more pop, but also because he has more land. take that away and I'm probably leading in tech - which might be more important down the line, we will see). And again we are at the situation that Commodore might feel he is without chance to win and attack.

And that's btw not even taking Bigger into account whom I will have to deal with somehow. I still debate if I should point my 40 Knights in his direction. He should have the same amount of troops, but I doubt they are where he would need them. Rather I know they are not wink But again, if I take him Commodore might look to attack me.

So, I wait. And hope that Commodore attacks the Zulu or slowcheetah, so that I can safely do my own attacks.

Good reasoning, Serdoa! Very interesting to see how you look at the game from a meta perspective!