As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

American Politics Discussion Thread

Ex-CO governor is all but certain to declare. I'm bumping up CO to Lean D. He's not the strongest but he's "moderate" for a DEM and has half a brain. He'll go work out at a gym, like Josh did, to avoid being damaged in the primary and lean on the vote being split. He'll then pivot like crazy to the center knowing that if the Presidential contest is not competitive Trump loses CO by 10% and it wouldn't matter what he does. If it is competitive the left wing DEMs will vote for him anyway to stop Trump from getting a vote in the Senate (every vote matters a lot, Kav barely passed because the AK Rhino would vote no and no-one wants to be the "one"); while he picks off moderate voters from Gardner and suppresses his turnout.

The situation hasn't really changed anywhere else. Collins approval rating isn't impressive but most of the drop came from Republicans who will vote for her anyway especially with ranked-choice ballot. I'm bumping up KY and VA to solid through. They could flip in a great year but if that happens the rest of my map is wrong. The challengers being weak in those states pushed me over the top. I thought about adding a "safe" category to my ratings to deal with situations like that but that category doesn't make sense because every seat could come into play because it's always possible for something dumb to happen: dumb last-second third party write-in campaign or someone getting caught with $90,000 in the freezer. I will change the descriptor to "all but certain to win" for Solid seats through.

As for my for-fun tilt ratings I'm confident in NC. Don't know where to place AZ in a vacuum but GOP getting a free pass in MT inflates their chances for it goes tilt R (edit: meant tilt D). Bullock is by far the most likely person to be successfully recruited and he would sink MT from solid to tilt R. I also think Kobach is likely to win KS primary due to no runoff but eek out a general election victory because of enthusiasm gap being less, the fact that the only senator that matters is the 50th Senator and the DEM nominee being Pro-Choice will hurt a lot more because of that person having to sit in committee with GOP if they win (they are ether lying about respecting the committee/GOP or they are lying believing that being Pro-Life is unacceptable).  

Overall Senate rating: Tossup/Tilt R. If the DEMs have a reasonably good year they win AZ&NC and only have to eek out a victory in only one more state and there's a lot of states up for GOP. The DEMs only needing a reasonably good year is enough to push it below Lean R but nowhere close to Tilt D. GOP has a slight edge still.

Solid: All but certain to win.
Likely: I almost call it.
Lean: Clear edge.
Tossup. Everything else. The tilt rating is just for fun in an attempt to guess everything; too subjective and based on intuition/emotion to be serious.   

Careful with Iowa, Trump's agricultural policy isn't popular there and it might be a little closer than expected

(August 15th, 2019, 04:24)AdrienIer Wrote: Careful with Iowa, Trump's agricultural policy isn't popular there and it might be a little closer than expected

The current DEM frontrunner released an internal poll showing her down by 25%. If they had a real candidate then it would be Lean R at best.

GA Special starts at Lean R because the jungle primary for special elections adds a lot more chaos. GOP still should win this, if the Senate is at stake for this seat, because if Trump wins DEMs won't get Senate and if he loses it will benefit the GOP candidate and minority turnout goes down during runoffs too. However, jungle primaries add too much uncertainty for me to put this at Likely R.

Overall Senate rating: Tilt R, 60% R.

Joe Manchin to declare or not for Governor tomorrow. If he goes for Gov I'm sure state GOP will change the law so the seat would remain vacant until the special election to prevent him from appointing a Pro-Life Dem which would make the seat Solid R. This would also cause the Senate to be 49D-50R on tiebreak so DEMs have to win both tiebreaks to win the Senate. I almost put the Gov race at Lean D and combine this with a small chance of a Vice-President being R (while having 50R) would put the tiebreaks together at Lean R. If he doesn't declare I have Presidential election at Lean D still so tiebreak is Lean D. Trump is unlikely to still be president with 50R (so if there's a tiebreak it's very likely to go to DEMs) but a tiebreak being useless doesn't change what the tiebreak is. I would call the tiebreaks together "Vice-President or Vacant West Virginia seat tiebreak". The tiebreak going from likely D (if there's a tiebreak) to Lean R would bump up the Seante to Lean R from Tilt R.

Manchin doesn't declare so Senate is tilt R. DEM's target to abolish filibuster (aside from stuff like tax increases via the budget reconciliation process) and do stuff this presidential election is 51 seats as he's the last remaining DINO. I put 50 or 51 D seats at Tilt R for now.

This picture aptly sums up Donald Trump:

[Image: hurricane.jpg]

For those of you that haven't been following the story, you have my congratulations and my envy. Trump tweeted that Hurricane Dorian threatened Alabama and was widely mocked for his lack of geographical knowledge. Because he's unable to admit a mistake, he produced this obviously altered chart to prove he was Right All Along.

If Trump were just some random pseudo-celebrity, this wouldn't matter, but instead somehow he's the head of the US government. In more serious circumstances, say a ruinous global trade war or, God forbid, an actual shooting war, his refusal to face facts could be catastrophic.

I feel for you. Having a polarizing head of state is bad enough for any country, but adding incompetence and refusal to admit mistakes to the list doesn't help. From an outsider perspective it switches between horror and comedy day to day.

Whenever I read Trump news I think of a sweet old couple I stayed with in August 2016 while visiting Natchez (Mississippi). They jokingly said that they'd have to emigrate to Canada if he was elected and we had some laughs about how ridiculous it would be. Him being elected was unthinkable at the time, at least to me. Your system needs help.

The thing that is mind-boggling from the outside is that (at least according to 538)  Trump currently has an approval rating of 41.1%. crazyeye

I mean, before he was elected, people were maybe not really taking him and his demeanor completely seriously. But now that everybody has seen all the nonsense he talks on a weekly basis and the crazy stuff he does, why on earth would anybody still support a President Trump - even if you were to agree on his policies?

(September 5th, 2019, 08:06)Gustaran Wrote: why on earth would anybody still support a President Trump - even if you were to agree on his policies?

As far as I can tell, Trump supporters fall into three camps:

1. Trump is embarrassing, but the economy is doing great and lots of conservative judges are being appointed. I've voted Republican my whole life, and I'm not going to stop now.
2. Trump is the best president ever! He doesn't say or do any more dumb stuff than previous presidents, it's just the media distorting the record.
3. Yeah, Trump says dumb and xenophobic stuff, but so do I!