As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Tides of War, a balance mod

Have you tried Ctrl-I or Alt-I to toggle the interface?
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

LP's description is precise, I suggest checking you match that.

For the record I have the steam version. I wouldn't expect an issue from that.

Can't help much more til monday.

I have a Programs -> Firaxis Games file, but it has no Beyond the Sword file in it, just the base game. It is presumably the folder from when I had the disc Civ IV installed (I own the base Civ IV as a disc, then my friend purchased me the bundle of all 3 Expansions since I only had 1, so I now use the Steam version).

EDIT: Where is your Tides of War mod installed Seven?

This thread contains pretty comprehensive instructions concerning mod installation.

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=6866

Funny enough, I just got it to work while loading this page! Amusingly, by not putting it in my Steamapps etc folder.

Well, mostly working, the trait changes and units changes and so on appear to work (Tested in a quick opening designed to test), but Mining and so on don't appear to be re-costed for me? Bizarre.

EDIT: Fixed i t. Mod appears to 100% work now! Thank you everyone.

(April 5th, 2014, 02:57)Lord Parkin Wrote: Have you tried Ctrl-I or Alt-I to toggle the interface?

Didn't work, unfortunately. frown

Kuro, what did you do to get the mod to work?

(April 5th, 2014, 13:25)GermanJojo Wrote:
(April 5th, 2014, 02:57)Lord Parkin Wrote: Have you tried Ctrl-I or Alt-I to toggle the interface?

Went into my Steam folder, double clicked the shortcut for "CustomMods" to see where it went, downloaded the mod there. Then I launched it, saw the techs were messed up, downloaded it to the Steamapps etc folder, which worked. (But just doing one without the other never did)

Hmmm, that's what I did too. I wonder if my problems could be related to the BUG and BULL mods...

(April 5th, 2014, 13:25)GermanJojo Wrote:

Jojo, if you've the Bug mod installed not as a seperate mod, then your problem could be in the configuration settings file. Go to the mod folder, open that file up in notepad and change
Code:
; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 0
to
Code:
; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 1

Once that is done, you should get your interface back up and running.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Since suggestions and such are allowed, I thought I would throw my hat into the ring with two suggestions, though neither are important enough to need an update before the PB/PBEM or anything, but is more food for thought. Specifically, I propose that Ethiopia/Japan's UBs should be buffed/replaced and here's why. (Since you said you don't want small changes, it'd probably be a replacement)

Ethiopia: The problem with Ethiopia is, right now, it feels like a strictly worse version of the Ottoman Empire. Janissary are generally going to be a lot better than Oromo Warriors, save on defense: I'll take +25% vs. Archery, Melee AND Mounted compared to the 2-3 First Strikes. However, the Ottomans also have the awesome Hammam unique building, while Ethiopia has the near worthless Stele building (Even in cultural victories it isn't amazing and culture is hard to do in MP). In addition, the Ottomans have Agriculture + The Wheel, which is most likely preferred to Hunting + Mining in a lot of situations. While Ethiopia doesn't need a huge buff, it would be good if they had a good unique building that made them a reasonable option compared to the Ottomans.

Japan: Japan has a UU and techs that, while they would not be top tier, would at least make them pickable, but the Shale Plant is one of the worst UBs in the game, both in terms of power and design. Replacing it with something that doesn't suck would make Japan viable...or at least buff it some so it isn't just +10% Production tacked onto a Coal Plant, which is incredibly weak at that point in time. Maybe double speed for Productive leaders or an additional building boost? Not as important as the Ethiopia one IMO, but Japan has a lot of room for a useful and flavorful UB that would essentially let another civ be viable and I dislike the Shale Plant a lot.