As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Cheerful Cat Crew Have No Clue (Sury of France)

This is quite probably going to get me yelled at.... :P

We were the last to finish (partially due to technical issues) and I wanted to get the game moving. So I moved the scout to the plains hill as Catwalk and I had previously discussed.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0889.JPG]

I didn't really see anything to convince me to move, there was two useless coast tiles, some jungle and a floodplain, we lose three of our forests and gain a plains hill. None of this looked spectacular so I stayed put. Our capital is a little food deprived (we may need to farm a floodplain or two), however it's very versatile in the early game, with good ability to switch between commerce and production. I went worker first (duh) and set research to mining. We could switch to pottery however, if we want some extremely early cottages down?

Turn has rolled so we can move at any time. I'd probably move the scout N/NE onto the jungle tile. The plains hill W/SW looks to be on a little peninsula rather than anywhere vital.

Thanks for playing, I agree with SIP/Mining/Worker. Also, there is no need to consult with each other before decisions as we're trying to keep this very casual. I will yell at your decisions whether you consult with me or not tongue

(November 1st, 2012, 17:10)Catwalk Wrote: Thanks for playing, I agree with SIP/Mining/Worker. Also, there is no need to consult with each other before decisions as we're trying to keep this very casual. I will yell at your decisions whether you consult with me or not tongue

Haha good to know. I'm going to play the second turn now, just to keep things rolling. I wont be able to get anymore until evening GMT though.

(November 1st, 2012, 17:49)slowcheetah Wrote:
(November 1st, 2012, 17:10)Catwalk Wrote: Thanks for playing, I agree with SIP/Mining/Worker. Also, there is no need to consult with each other before decisions as we're trying to keep this very casual. I will yell at your decisions whether you consult with me or not tongue

Haha good to know. I'm going to play the second turn now, just to keep things rolling. I wont be able to get anymore until evening GMT though.

Ok I've provisionally played the third turn. Moved the scout, revealing a very nice city location with pigs and wet corn. I also changed research to pottery. I think that a floodplains cottage will be a stronger second improvement than a grasshill mine. We can switch back to mining if you object vociferously though. Switching also has the added bonus of confusing the hell out of anyone doing C 'n' D>

I think Mining is more about getting Bronze Working as fast as possible, I like chopping. I usually don't go for Pottery real early, but I don't mind trying it out. Have been super busy all day today and yesterday, will try to see if I can get the tech problems sorted out tomorrow.

(November 3rd, 2012, 15:20)Catwalk Wrote: I think Mining is more about getting Bronze Working as fast as possible, I like chopping. I usually don't go for Pottery real early, but I don't mind trying it out. Have been super busy all day today and yesterday, will try to see if I can get the tech problems sorted out tomorrow.

BW will be the third tech. I don't think it'll delay it to much because of the commerce boost of an early cottage. Specifically, chopping should still be able to be used on the first settler.

For anyone reading, we plan on not reporting on this game to keep time commitment low. If there's anything you're particularly interested in knowing (and can ask in a way that doesn't spoil us about Lewwyn and Bigger having 200 horse archers 3 tiles from our expansion), feel free to ask.

I might report now and again but probably not consistently.

Anyway, not much to do but move scout and press enter. Although we have a worker and pottery in two so will have two units to move smile. Regarding our scout, did you pop a hut for experience Catwalk? I've left him unpromoted for now, although given the surroundings I think that Woodsman II is probably the best promotion.

We also appear to have drawn an island start. There doesn't seem to be anybody else here though, that means we should run light on military and get galleys out as fast as possible. We are going to need to start settling some islands pronto, annoyingly this reduces the power of our creative trait, we won't even have any borders with which to war early game frown. I'd say this means that city site 1a is our second city, because our second city is going to need to produce some galleys. We loo to have some good initial expansion prospects, but, unfortunately the south looks rather resource dry.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0910.JPG]

Are you sure you are on an island? Have you excluded the possibility of more land to the north? I can't see all the way up there on your screenshot.
Fie, fie! you visionary things.

(November 8th, 2012, 16:55)Tredje Wrote: Are you sure you are on an island? Have you excluded the possibility of more land to the north? I can't see all the way up there on your screenshot.

There is the possibility that the north is a further land connection. However, the land up there looks like an upside down reversed 7 with a width of about one or two tiles in diameter; if it is a land connection it's a weird one. I'll put a closer screenshot of the north up when I next login, because what I'm describing defnitely isn't visible in the picture.