As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 35 IT and Tech Issues Thread

After considering the alternatives, I have decided to ban all aerial bombardment as a solution to plane turn split abuse. Reasons for turning down other alternatives (from least to most viable) are as follows:
  • Bombardment ban only on strategic resources - Solves the most broken aspect of aerial bombardment, but doesn't solve all issues regarding bombardment. Since differences between the 1st and 2nd person in the split should ideally be minimized, this is not viable.
  • Sequential turns - Solves vast majority of all turn split issues, but absolutely kills turn pace with 5+ players without adjusting player order according to play window (and even then, 7 players simultaneous is too much even with that addition). A possibility if down to 3-4 players, but has to be considered on a case-by-case basis.
  • The 1-2-1 turn split - The best compromise that tries to equally balance both turn split issues and turn pace, but complicates the turn split more by adding a third slot. A viable alternative but IMO it is better to avoid a third split to keep the game running as simply and smoothly as possible.
It is true that banning all bombardment nerfs air power, but being enacted before T0 means that everyone is still on the same boat so no unbalance has been caused. First post has been updated to include this rule.

(July 17th, 2016, 19:12)El Grillo Wrote: I could mod the number of religions (down or up), if you'd like. I'd also be interested in teaming up with someone with more time and experience for this game.

(July 17th, 2016, 20:09)Commodore Wrote: Lurker civ is a no-mod method; can even put a barb 6 tiles away to eliminate after founding.

Interesting ideas. I'll admit that I'm not sure how to mod a religion out of the game (without WB the game after we've already started) or the viability of including a lurker civ to kill off a religion, but they are a starting point.

Since we won't be starting anyway until the end of the month, let's wait and see what numbers are like before trying something unorthodox.

The mod option would require all of the players to download and use edited game files that I or someone else would prepare before the game started, similar to how RtR/ToW/EitB games are run. I'd open up Civ4ReligionInfos.xml and simply adjust the number of items to match the number of players (and add/remove the appropriate missionaries/buildings/art). I ran a few tests on adding and removing religions a couple of months ago, and it works out in a pleasantly intuitive way - even the Religion Advisor screen can accommodate it.

It has been suggested to me that some of the snake pick bans could be changed. While I am still in the process of deciding how to act (although it is very likely that the ban list will change), I will first clarify my position on settings discussion:

While originally settings will only have been changed with a strong player consensus, my primary motivation for making the pre-game discussion a dictatorship is so that settings are decided on before/during signups are locked in, not after. That said, I am far from the best civ player here (not to mention rusty). In addition this game format is unexplored territory so despite best intentions it is very easy for an individual to miss something important when coming up with settings for this game. I highly encourage anyone (including players) with an opinion on improving game settings for either players or lurkers to PM me. I will consider any and all opinions, as all I want is a game enjoyable for everyone. smile

The first post has be changed to include this paragraph, and will be updated to include changes in snake pick bans once I have come to a decision.

After consideration, I am going to change the snake pick bans as follows:

Byzantium, France, England and Russia are now unbanned
Justinian and India will remain banned

Any player that has an issue with this change is free to PM me for discussion. First post has been updated.

Bump.

Still have room for signups, and we still need a mapmaker/admin.

Looks like we're struggling for signups. frown I'm anticipating high lurker interest for this game, but if we can't get off the ground then it's all for nothing.

No matter how we decide to run the game, we do need a mapmaker. The mapmaker does not need to be the game admin and the settings for the map will be quite clear so not much thought needs to be put into it. Is there no-one willing to spare some time in a one-off scenario so we can proceed?

As for the signups, 7 players is ideal to split religions evenly but we only have 3 ATM. If we can't get that, then the next best alternative is to drop down to 6 which appeases Commodore for a natural cylinder map (even if we need to do something unorthodox to get around the extra religion) but even then we still need 2 more signups. A Ren era start is one of the few game concepts that we haven't explored in RB yet. What else needs to be said?

Maybe this game was proposed at the wrong time? I'd like to ask everyone for ideas, because I'm starting to run out of them.

(July 21st, 2016, 02:26)WarriorKnight Wrote: Looks like we're struggling for signups. frown I'm anticipating high lurker interest for this game, but if we can't get off the ground then it's all for nothing.

No matter how we decide to run the game, we do need a mapmaker. The mapmaker does not need to be the game admin and the settings for the map will be quite clear so not much thought needs to be put into it. Is there no-one willing to spare some time in a one-off scenario so we can proceed?

As for the signups, 7 players is ideal to split religions evenly but we only have 3 ATM. If we can't get that, then the next best alternative is to drop down to 6 which appeases Commodore for a natural cylinder map (even if we need to do something unorthodox to get around the extra religion) but even then we still need 2 more signups. A Ren era start is one of the few game concepts that we haven't explored in RB yet. What else needs to be said?

Maybe this game was proposed at the wrong time? I'd like to ask everyone for ideas, because I'm starting to run out of them.

I would have if it weren't for too many games.

Yeah, I'd love to play, just not sure my RL can justify another game right now.

(July 21st, 2016, 02:26)WarriorKnight Wrote: No matter how we decide to run the game, we do need a mapmaker. The mapmaker does not need to be the game admin and the settings for the map will be quite clear so not much thought needs to be put into it. Is there no-one willing to spare some time in a one-off scenario so we can proceed?
I'm considering this, but I don't want to promise anything until I actually find the time to at least make a first draft. Sometimes I make maps without issues, sometimes I end up delaying a game start for a month. I won't promise anything this time until I'm confident I can deliver.

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on the map settings you have in mind? For instance, when you say 'lightly edited Mirror map', do you mean Seven's Mirrorland script, or is there a mapscript called Mirror? What sort of edits do you have in mind? I assume something around strategics - which ones are even important for a Ren era start?

And if you end up accommodating Commodore's request, what script/settings would you go for then?

------

Unrelated: if you were to make a post about the Ren era start itself, that might induce people to start thinking about what they would do, which is the first step in signing up wink. Which techs do you start with, what units? Are there any wonders available from T0?
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker