As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

picklepikkl embarks on the Fool's Journey

Sometimes; other times it didn't work like I expected it to, which I now guess is because I'd counted my moves wrong. I even commented on it earlier in this thread:

(May 10th, 2016, 09:50)picklepikkl Wrote: Could have turned research on this turn; elected not to, since I get an Academy on t56. Will keep saving gold for now; founding The Emperor either next turn or the turn after (I can't get my head around how moving road->unroaded flatland works). Jowy built a Shrine, as expected.
Civ 6 SP: Adventure One 
Civ 4 MP: PBEM74B [3/4] PBEM74D [3/4]
-Dedlurker: PB34

It's ok - he hasn't burnt it. If you retake there is no resistance, and it pops it's old borders. Curs beat knights!

For the record, you are always allowed to use any fraction of movement without penalty. Gets really confusing with railroads.

That makes Engineering rather better than I'd previously thought, yeah.

Not sure how to get enough cuirs/cav to push him back -- I currently have five cuirs and five knights, and he has rather a lot of knights. I have the problem that I'd expected to be able to see an impending attack via The Empress's enormous culture + my scouts and defend there. Now my front is split between Wheel of Fortune and The Magician. I guess we'll see what horrible thing he's done that I didn't know how to do the next time the turn comes around.

He will never convert those tiles whilst you're alive - you will have a huge mobility advantage and need to use that. He cannot use your roads remember.

My hopes that Sian had nothing in range to hit the Musketman in the north were futile, as were the hopes that he wouldn't notice his boating-vulnerability. He also popped into a Mausoleum-powered Golden Age, because of course he did.

He's gathered his force to attack me at Wheel of Fortune. Spent what gold I could to upgrade units, promoted everything, and finished Walls (then, of course, I researched Rifling and obsoleted them, because I am incredibly new to warfare and have no idea how to do it; should have whipped a Longbow instead).

At least now my Cuirassiers are coming out as Cavalry instead, but his quantity has a quality of its own.

On the plus side, this is teaching me a lesson in compassion; I've read threads from other games where third-parties criticized how quickly targets under attack folded, how they didn't put forth the effort to defend. Now I understand how much a blow to one's morale and willingness to play being attacked by a superior opponent can be in a game that has occupied your mind for months. It's kind of brutal.

In any event, now that I have Rifling, next turn I'm going to swap into Nationhood, wince at the blow to my GNP, but see how he likes drafted Rifles.

With drafted rifles, cavalry, and the mobility advantage, you have all the tools to make Sian choke on what he's bitten off. So don't lose heart, good sir, and may the RNG smile upon you. hammer

(July 11th, 2016, 14:50)El Grillo Wrote: With drafted rifles, cavalry, and the mobility advantage, you have all the tools to make Sian choke on what he's bitten off. So don't lose heart, good sir, and may the RNG smile upon you. hammer

This. I came back from last in every demographic (for quite some time!) to progress to the next round in second place. You can do it! It can be incredibly demoralising, but this CAN be turned around.

Status: We have progressed from "everything is completely fucking terrible" to "things are pretty terrible, but a few nice things happened."

Let me show you a screenshot:

I did my best to provide a fancy picture-in-picture shot of the salient stacks, like I've seen done in other threads. We won all the Cuir vs. Knight ~75% battles, and even won the Cav vs. Knight fight untouched which was very lucky! Combat log reveals we killed four Knights in the defense of Wheel of Fortune, which is OK. One salient point that did not make it into this screenshot: greenline declared on Sian and razed a border city! Don't know how much he's going to press, but any strength Sian has to spend to his north is a win for me. The switch to Nationhood hurts, but I drafted the maximum of three rifles and whipped another.

Interesting note: that Great Wall I one-turned just for the giggles is paying dividends. J Edgar Hoover cozied up with a pair of maces, one of whom became a Rifle for free once I had him promoted and safely covering my offensive stack, one of whom became a rifle for not-free once I had him promoted and covering The Magician, and we're already most of the way to a second General. I'm playing it by ear, since as I mentioned upthread, I am a complete novice at Civ war and especially MP war, but I feel about as good as you can feel when you're down two cities from the start of the war. Sian has the tech for Cuirassiers now, but it will take him some time to get them deployed and on the front lines, and hopefully my mobility and tech advantages will persist long enough to reclaim my losses and even extract a pound of flesh.

One concern: Where to build my Heroic Epic, now that I qualify for it. Currently thinking either The Fool or The Magician, for the sake of their central locations.

(July 12th, 2016, 18:10)picklepikkl Wrote: Status: We have progressed from "everything is completely fucking terrible" to "things are pretty terrible, but a few nice things happened."

Let me show you a screenshot:

I did my best to provide a fancy picture-in-picture shot of the salient stacks, like I've seen done in other threads. We won all the Cuir vs. Knight ~75% battles, and even won the Cav vs. Knight fight untouched which was very lucky! Combat log reveals we killed four Knights in the defense of Wheel of Fortune, which is OK. One salient point that did not make it into this screenshot: greenline declared on Sian and razed a border city! Don't know how much he's going to press, but any strength Sian has to spend to his north is a win for me. The switch to Nationhood hurts, but I drafted the maximum of three rifles and whipped another.

Interesting note: that Great Wall I one-turned just for the giggles is paying dividends. J Edgar Hoover cozied up with a pair of maces, one of whom became a Rifle for free once I had him promoted and safely covering my offensive stack, one of whom became a rifle for not-free once I had him promoted and covering The Magician, and we're already most of the way to a second General. I'm playing it by ear, since as I mentioned upthread, I am a complete novice at Civ war and especially MP war, but I feel about as good as you can feel when you're down two cities from the start of the war. Sian has the tech for Cuirassiers now, but it will take him some time to get them deployed and on the front lines, and hopefully my mobility and tech advantages will persist long enough to reclaim my losses and even extract a pound of flesh.

One concern: Where to build my Heroic Epic, now that I qualify for it. Currently thinking either The Fool or The Magician, for the sake of their central locations.

HE should be a city that maximises as many hammers as possible. Do think about whether you would want to build ships from it. Also, when putting a GG on a unit, remember that the XP goes to every unit on the tile. So you can either get 1 super unit, or a lot of extra promos on many units. As well as the free upgrades, a GG unit also has access to extra special promos (morale for +1 movement being the most used) and when upgraded keeps all its XP (if you buy an upgrade for a unit, it looses all its XP past 10 otherwise)