As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

(May 16th, 2023, 21:46)Seravy Wrote:
(May 16th, 2023, 21:01)Suppanut Wrote: I don't know if this is intentional or oversighted but when I turn hero's race into life creature without being fantastic, they could not be resurrected by Raise Dead in combat but when I turn other normal units into life creature without being fantastic, they still could raise from dead normally in combat (but could not do that anymore once they has fantastic perk). Is it intentional? And what is reason for this inconsistency?

I don't see anything that could cause this in the source code (but the code has been refactored around that place recently).

The only conditions are, the unit can't be irrecoverable dead, and it can't have "Fantastic" set on the current unit (base unit is not checked).

(Did you test on the Chosen maybe? The Chosen already counts as a Life creature and fantastic unit during combat, Raise Dead has no effect on them)

(other effects that grant "Fantastic" flag to a unit in the hardcoded part are EncNoHeal, Blood Lust, Undead, Chaos Channels.)

I test it on modification of Sanctify to turn normal unit into non-fantastic life creature and cleric units to be fantastic life creature with MP and this work well with everyone in synergy with supreme light while not cut off units from raise dead except for hero. I give cleric condition to Taki the War Monk and hr become life fantastic hero with MP under sanctify. Then I noticed that he could not be raised by raise dead which is same as other cleric unit under sanctify. But as others who work with me worry that he could not raise while not get access to unique life spells is not good for him so I give condition for hero to not become fantastic creature under sanctify but I found that even when he nolonger fantastic creature but still magical realm race (life, death, sorcery, chaos, nature) still prevent hero from being viable for raise dead spell.

Any chance you made the unit to be fantastic in the base stats and it carried over in the save file even after you updated the script to no longer do that?
If not then it might be a bug that was removed during the refactoring without noticing it.

Likely not because script for sanctify turn unit to life and fantastic creature only activate in combat and back to normal outside combat.

Hi Caster of Magic is probably the most fun I've had with a strategy game in probably years and I really appreciate the difficulty, had two runs so far all Life book run and all Sorcery Run.  But when I played the all Nature run I'm wondering if elemental armor is working, sometimes I don't take any damage from ranged magical attacks while often times I take a surprising amount of damage and the spell says protection against magical ranged attacks +12.  Does it matter if it's a unit or a fantastic creature?  Not working for the most part.

(May 17th, 2023, 19:39)upliftresort Wrote: But when I played the all Nature run I'm wondering if elemental armor is working, sometimes I don't take any damage from ranged magical attacks while often times I take a surprising amount of damage and the spell says protection against magical ranged attacks +12.  Does it matter if it's a unit or a fantastic creature?  Not working for the most part.

It doesn't matter what the attacking unit is, as long as the attack type itself is magical. Maybe the attacking unit simply dealt that much more damage because it had armor piercing, illusion, or had a very hit chance to hit so the 12 additional defense wasn't enough to stop the damage?
If you find a battle where the damage is significantly more than expected in a reproduceable way, please post the save file and I'll check.

i just installed fresh com for win (gog)

cannot launch it
https://i.imgur.com/ZM2sDU6.png

--
com dosbox works ok

Might be a missing file from a failed installation.
Try installing it again.

The game window is visible which means the game finished loading the files, but the background of the main window was not drawn so it probably failed to load that image.

If reinstalllng does not help, change your modding.ini to forcedebug=1 then start it again and post the generated log.txt file.

if i buy steam version would it work any better?

Attached Files
.txt   log.txt (Size: 4.64 KB / Downloads: 3)

That looks like it loaded everything without a problem.

Try deleting units.dat, spells.dat, items.dat, Window.INI, and CoM.Set, maybe there is some corrupted data in one of those. If the files are missing, the game should create them after started.

You can also try running the game as administrator. Maybe the game is crashing because you don't have write permission to save files or something like that.

(May 21st, 2023, 02:50)Seravy Wrote: That looks like it loaded everything without a problem.

Try deleting units.dat, spells.dat, items.dat, Window.INI, and CoM.Set, maybe there is some corrupted data in one of those. If the files are missing, the game should create them after started.

You can also try running the game as administrator. Maybe the game is crashing because you don't have write permission to save files or something like that.

https://i.imgur.com/sGXKArr.png

i delete all this file, game create them again but again same error

I try run as admin, no difference