As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

Thanks for continuing!

I make it with no further problems to the more populated area around Blockfaint (south eastern corner of the bay). Which is the capitol of the local civilisation. Not quite sure what their name is.
Anyway, Blockfaint is a rather large town. However, I only stop by in the keep to exchange a few words with their law-giver.
Then it is onwards south to the hamlet of Feralfull, where I will leave the coastal areas for good and continue to track inland tomorrow.

The next morning I set off ealy. Visit a fortress with a very maze-like layout but high quality items in it.
Onwards through creepy forests full of weird noises, dry deserts. Apparently this is goblin country here.

I finally make it to the hamlet of Bristlewax, which is near the spring of one of the rivers, which I think carves the system of canyons I hope to find.

I travel a short distance further south, following the river until the hamlet of Slipurns, which is the last human settlement for a long time. I will have to await the end of the day here and continue tomorrow.

I am a bit confused by the local political situation. These people here belong to The Coincidental Empires, with Futurewheels as the capital far to the east.

Anway. I hope to see some wonderful vistas tomorrow.
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

And the trip was well worth it for this alone:
[Image: 12603221waterfall.png]

[Image: 12603222waterfall.png]
An impressive waterfall into a deep canyon! As far as I can see, those are 12 z-levels. I can even make out alligators down there through the mist. So basically I don't jump down, as a part of my brain was pushing me to do.

I move a little distance upstream, to cross the river, as I will have to continue following it on the other side.

I am unprepared for the rush of the river here. None of the rivers I crossed before has been that strong. Although the river is very narrow, I do not make it to the other bank before the water pulls me further and propels me over the cliff!

12 z-levels!!!

[Image: 12603223waterfall.png]

If you would not do it in real life, don't do it in DF either!!!
---

When I regain conciousness, this is what I remember:
[Image: 12603225waterfall.png]

And this is my status:
[Image: 12603224waterfall.png]

I don't remember seeing any beaches I could climb out of this canyon.
All I remember is seeing that alligator down here!!!

But first things first, lets see if I can actually stop drowning.

[Image: 12603226waterfall.png]

Fail!

Killed by a natural wonder!
Urgh. Why on Numthur did I have to take the risk and cross that river so close to the waterfall! Why, why, why!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! Frustrating!

Here the journey of Harmless Girlishbridge:
[Image: traveld.png]

DF, Ladies and Gentlemen!

So what next?
A fortress mode game or another adventurer?

Still nobody up to give this a go as an adventurer?

mh
---

(November 15th, 2012, 03:59)mostly_harmless Wrote: And the trip was well worth it for this alone:

An impressive waterfall into a deep canyon!
Nice! I guess the grapical representation really helps here visualizing the beauty of this place, compared to the ASCII graphics. smile
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

(November 15th, 2012, 10:06)mostly_harmless Wrote: You vomit.
The vomit disappears into the water.

lol Incredible game.
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Hmm. Perhaps start a new adventurer at/ near the last capital you visited?

( this would mean choosing a new starting nation wink )

------

Also, I wonder, did your body and armor/weapons float down the river after you drowned? And if so, where do you think it would have stopped? I don't see that river flowing out onto a beach frown ... but assuming it does, which beach would it be?

It's a rather long river and it empties out into the central section of the ocean. See world map in Post 5.
My stuff and body will not float down it, though. It will stay where I died, I believe.

My items where not that valuable, to merit a retrieval mission, although bringing home the body of Harmless Girlishbridge would be a nice quest.
Unfortunately, I think I would have to swim that river upstream from some point to find his body. And there are alligators!

Maybe I do this tonight.
A friend following his travels, "asking" around to find where he went, and then trying to bring him home, to bury him in the "right" soil.

mh
---

(November 15th, 2012, 10:27)Kylearan Wrote: Nice! I guess the grapical representation really helps here visualizing the beauty of this place, compared to the ASCII graphics. smile

If you spent hours playing with a ASCII UI, you can "see" the beauty, right there as well. smile Kind of like that guy watching the Matrix thing on the screen, saying blonde woman, brunette woman, ...

I think people even managed to export the DF world into MineCraft for visualisation.

mh
---

Epic death lol