As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoiler] First rodeo: Jalepeno takes the bull by the horns.

You sure its worth putting Warfare->MS in there?
While I get the command posts, I'd put them behind vampires given that their benefit to the staple units is minimal.

Chariots plan...I'm not sure if its worthwhile.
A big part of this is if the primary intention is to pillage his cottages, then the chariots are going to be slaughtered on defence.
I think even a moroi rush would be superior, and I worry that we'll gain a mortal enemy for little to no benefit.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(August 7th, 2013, 02:37)Qgqqqqq Wrote: You sure its worth putting Warfare->MS in there?

nope! lol It does have the added benefit of getting the heroic epic up. CP's are 80 hammers for +20%, so breakeven is like 4 vamps (if city will make fewer than 4, don't bother). but the added tech slows vampires so... noidea

(August 7th, 2013, 02:37)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Chariots plan...I'm not sure if its worthwhile.
A big part of this is if the primary intention is to pillage his cottages, then the chariots are going to be slaughtered on defence.
I think even a moroi rush would be superior, and I worry that we'll gain a mortal enemy for little to no benefit.

Yeah, I'm just trying to be more forward thinking with plans. In SP I just expand and build economy until the AI's force war, then finally build and army and conquer. In this game, with first strike advantage what it is, I feel like I need to be the one initiating combat. Besides, with TBS in first place are right on my doorstep, we're gonna have to fight eventually. And if I send a couple moroi as stack defenders and he's only got hunters/fawns it could work. Still, I've got like 15 more cities dotmapped in my* region and the best play is probably just to continue expanding (with a decent defense).

*The opinion stated here is solely that of the poster and does not necessarily reflect those of the lurkers or other players in this game.

Turn 65

I'm sure glad I got the drama bard when I did.
Yeah, that's Yell0w's golden-age GNP going through the roof.

But wait a minute, I finished opening a dungeon this turn, maybe I....
nope

Run away! I'll be continuing onto the next dungeon or even the graveyard if it's still there. Sounds like more fun than meeting Sian (alright nothing personal Sian, just want me some goodies).

Guess I need to work on my economy the old fashioned way.
1-turning markets should do the trick

Turn 66
Screenshot didn't take, but someone got a great commander this turn. I noticed two people had warfare a couple turns back, so sounds like it was a race. Means I'll get some nice prereq bonus if I decide to head that way.

City number 6!
Not mine unfortunately. frown

Our sixth city will be settled next turn on the sugar. Plan had been to settle C6 first, but when I ran the opening micro for each, C7 came out way ahead in food and hammers, lower in commerce. Deciding factor was instantly connecting the sugar, meaning both Paradigm and Synergies (unhappy now) can work an extra tile for the 6 turns it'll take to get the other city settled. Collaboration would also have otherwise grown into unhappiness for a couple turns.

Seeing how beneficial that change of plans will be has me reconsidering my dotmap down south. If I move C5 so that it can work the incense, the filler city can be moved to claim the clam. That would also allow the fish city to settle on the sign, gaining it access to some production which it would otherwise be sorely lacking.

Options:
  1. Original spots - tight spacing, but should have enough good tiles to get even the filler to size 10+
  2. Alternate filler - Shares rice and grabs clam (very hard to grab otherwise) and it's own mine. Might be taken as a bit aggressive by TBS; border is indefensible regardless.
  3. put the filler city on the dyes - gets the clam and shares the pig. wastes dye frown
  4. Northern alternate C5 - pretty much just gains the incense. It's a couple turns slower getting the corn hooked.
  5. southern alternate C5 - gains a mine and incense, but slower to get both corn and ivory hooked. Also a bit further away than I want to settle right now.
Really can't decide between northern alternate C5/alternate filler and the original spots. Any thoughts Q?

Demos:

I'm at breakeven (70%) research, so GNP really isn't that bad. What is bad is that trailing TBS by only (!) 26 foodhammers/turn has me feeling pretty good.
Ending turn finished off hunting. Plan now is to saved gold for a turn or two, then pound through masonry and construction before reevaluating what comes next. Current thinking is either cartography (flower) or HBR (hammer).

Ok, If you try to settle the NW of dye spot, I can pretty much guarantee TBS will burn it - there's no way we can get away with settling like that unless we get a nap explicitly allowing it. Thus, we can settle on dye (eh) or SE. I think SE is probably impractical with border city, but hear me out.
It seems like the border city might be unable/unreasonable to get with them settling N. And if we can get it, then we can pretty well settle a cirt S (or SE? That ridgeline is hard to discern) as a alternative. Meanwhile a city where indicated would be strong for a) giving tight and immediate control over the mana, whilst not over-stretching our borders. b) requiring TBS to invest in a navy (which he may even be unable to do if his SC are off coast) if he wishes to attack it and c) being an actual decent non-filler city.
If that is too disruptive for the border, then I agree with dye. (oh and remember that the border may change hand a few times - and if so, we'd be attacking across a river in the current position).

Otherwise, I think I prefer the southern C5 to quickly claim the area culturally, unless we feel a port there is necessary.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(August 8th, 2013, 03:43)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Ok, If you try to settle the NW of dye spot, I can pretty much guarantee TBS will burn it - there's no way we can get away with settling like that unless we get a nap explicitly allowing it. Thus, we can settle on dye (eh) or SE. I think SE is probably impractical with border city, but hear me out.
It seems like the border city might be unable/unreasonable to get with them settling N. And if we can get it, then we can pretty well settle a cirt S (or SE? That ridgeline is hard to discern) as a alternative. Meanwhile a city where indicated would be strong for a) giving tight and immediate control over the mana, whilst not over-stretching our borders. b) requiring TBS to invest in a navy (which he may even be unable to do if his SC are off coast) if he wishes to attack it and c) being an actual decent non-filler city.
If that is too disruptive for the border, then I agree with dye. (oh and remember that the border may change hand a few times - and if so, we'd be attacking across a river in the current position).

Otherwise, I think I prefer the southern C5 to quickly claim the area culturally, unless we feel a port there is necessary.

hmmmm, lots to consider. I was thinking I'd email TBS before settling NW of dye, but that spot does give him a 3-way fork of cities. Here's a clearer overview shot of the deep south. I've placed dots on the spots I understood you to be talking about (red-C5, Orange - filler, Yellow - border). If you meant orange to be SE of dye (on the goblin fort - at least there's only 1 archer) that invalidates moving C5 SE, although leaving C5 as before would work. I've also drawn in Yell0w's latest city which makes yellow dot rather untenable. This is a real puzzle. I wish I'd settled incentivize 1N on the deer, as it would give me a little more room down here. We don't have that much time to figure this out either: settler for C5 finishes this turn (will take a couple turns to get down here).
[attachment=614]
taking another quick look at the map, I almost favor settling C5 as originally planned, then settling a city 3S-1W (on GL hill by wheat/incense) as soon as possible afterwards. just popping that city's BFC would pretty much prevent Yell0w from settling north of the fur.

Hmm yes that is a difficult puzzle.
Taking a look at it, I agree that my border spot isn't tenable. I think I favor settling on the dye then, and maybe the original C5+3S1W spot, and the original border city, as that makes the strongest border and fits best. (In other words, all the sites you suggested and none of mine lol - we could swap out the dye city for SE of clams if we don't care about furs too).
If that's the case, Id want to rush a C6 down to the GLH so as to establish border control, then probably the clam filler on the dye to block TBS off. This is a valuable area, and I think we'll need to commit to it fast if we want to claim it all.

(August 8th, 2013, 14:11)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Hmm yes that is a difficult puzzle.
Taking a look at it, I agree that my border spot isn't tenable. I think I favor settling on the dye then, and maybe the original C5+3S1W spot, and the original border city, as that makes the strongest border and fits best. (In other words, all the sites you suggested and none of mine lol - we could swap out the dye city for SE of clams if we don't care about furs too).
If that's the case, Id want to rush a C6 down to the GLH so as to establish border control, then probably the clam filler on the dye to block TBS off. This is a valuable area, and I think we'll need to commit to it fast if we want to claim it all.

Ok, glad to see we're on the same page! That makes the spacing a little tight, but there's a ton of good tiles that need to be worked (and resources that need claiming). One nice advantage here is that if Yell0w settles up on the north, we can combine furs border and dye filler to SE of clam to still claim the mana and actually work the dye.

Re covering the saves: The micro sheet is fully updated. I've also put a number of signs up in game; hopefully they match whats in the google doc and it's not confusing! Also, I screwed up and left a worker uncovered that HK can take (stupid dwarven double movement in hills). frown If he declares, there's a bloodpet in Synergies that can take him out. If not, cover the worker while he roads. Any questions, just post them here.

Hopefully I'll have time to post a T67 update before I leave, but I'm doubting it.

Turn 67

save gold for two turns on masonry, then 100% research masonry ->construction

[/i]Heal him up a little if he survives before just generally looking for the dwarves to the SE. Pop dungeons!

Can either pop the dungeon or the graveyard down south. I'm leaning towards graveyard first.

Our agreed on settling dotmap.

T68:
I decided to pop the dungeon first, as it is best to cash in now when the graveyard could be popped/he's killed on the way.
Warrior survived griffon, healing next turn.
Covered the worker, he didn't declare (too busy healing smile).
Micro followed to the letter (thanks for the signs!), forgot to rename the new worker. Couple of tiny errors in the sheet, but they shouldn't matter.
10xp bloodpet exploring before doubling back for city 5.
Pressed END TURN!

sounds good! i want a GE. oh, be wary of the lake down by c5. there was a super powered griffon hanging there a while back.