As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic Release thread : latest version 6.06!

If a unit has 11 resistance, then poison at -1 is still 10 resistance meaning 0% chance for poison to do any damage. Correct?
And what if the unit has 0 resistance. Then against poison there is -1 resistance. Any negative resistance is same as 0. Correct?

(May 22nd, 2020, 13:01)WhiteMage Wrote:
(May 22nd, 2020, 12:29)Seravy Wrote: You can press the patrol button, see the additional area, then unpatrol the unit and keep moving. This isn't obvious in CoM I because you need to actually do something that refreshes visibility, like move another unit, to have an effect but in theory it should work.
Setting patrol status has no cost or consequences and can be undone instantly so it shouldn't be granting any bonus.
This is a heavy exploit that I even call a bug. Can you change it to only work by beginning of next turn? If you can't then second best option is to disable Done button completely and make Patrol end the turn for that unit.

I think disabling the feature entirely is a better option than messing with the UI. I have never seen anyone actually use it anyway.

Quote:If a unit has 11 resistance, then poison at -1 is still 10 resistance meaning 0% chance for poison to do any damage. Correct?
And what if the unit has 0 resistance. Then against poison there is -1 resistance. Any negative resistance is same as 0. Correct?

Yes to both.

"I think disabling the feature entirely is a better option than messing with the UI. I have never seen anyone actually use it anyway."
That would be my third preference. I only played 2 games of CoM, and found this out. It worked well in my last game where I was stuck on a small Island and was expecting incoming attack from multiple directions. Then I can move my fast strong army in the correct direction. It does have strategic value. I planned to use it in my next game too. But the exploit is really bad that it feels like cheating and time consuming to apply every turn for every unit. In original MoM this was less of a subject, when units moved much slower.

Why does Gold Bonus % change from 10% to 0% when I settle down? Then why does it change to 3% when it grows into hamlet?
I started with Fairy Dust spell and only 3 Green books. Its mana cost was 12, but book displayed as 13. Why the difference?
Alchemist Guild should clarify that all new units get magic (+1 hit) MELEE weapons only. (Not ranged.)
If battle ends in draw, I still raise undead. I was just running around avoiding melee. This should not be allowed. But when I had draw with a sprite then there was not undead raisning, which is correct.
What does -1 Spell Save mean in Enchant Item use?
Spiders have normal move 5, but in battle they walked on 2 hills and on grass which is 5. Then they attacked. That is 5.5. See screen shot. They spiders on bottom came from red cross then killed my hero.
[img]blob:http://www.realmsbeyond.net/d04d4dbd-06c8-4765-8ff6-863a8914df59[/img]

Attached Files
.docx   ScreenShot.docx (Size: 468.9 KB / Downloads: 4)

Quote:Why does Gold Bonus % change from 10% to 0% when I settle down? Then why does it change to 3% when it grows into hamlet?
https://masterofmagic.fandom.com/wiki/Ro...Ocean_Gold

Quote:I started with Fairy Dust spell and only 3 Green books. Its mana cost was 12, but book displayed as 13. Why the difference?
Typo in help, fixed for next version.

Quote:Alchemist Guild should clarify that all new units get magic (+1 hit) MELEE weapons only. (Not ranged.)
It works on ranged attacks unless the ranged attacks are already magical in which case having magical weapons won't make a difference.

Quote:If battle ends in draw, I still raise undead. I was just running around avoiding melee. This should not be allowed. But when I had draw with a sprite then there was not undead raisning, which is correct.
In case of a draw, the defender is considered the winner, so the defender can get undead and regenerate. The attacker cannot.

Quote:What does -1 Spell Save mean in Enchant Item use?
When the hero casts a spell that targets resistance, there is an additional -1 resistance penalty on the target.

Quote:Spiders have normal move 5, but in battle they walked on 2 hills and on grass which is 5. Then they attacked. That is 5.5. See screen shot. They spiders on bottom came from red cross then killed my hero.
Did those spiders move last? If they moved before the other spider, they could have moved onto the tile the other spider is on in the screenshot, then to the hill then to grass for a total of 4. It's hard to know what happened without a video recording.
Did you try to move onto those hill tiles? Did they cost 2 as expected?

“It works on ranged attacks unless the ranged attacks are already magical in which case having magical weapons won't make a difference.”
It does not become +1 to Hit on existing magical ranged attack. The text makes it look like it would. For example Nomad magicians do not have +1 to hit with range and Alchemists Guild does not give that either. Text says “alchemists’ guild equips all new troops with magical weapons with +1 to hit”.

“When the hero casts a spell that targets resistance, there is an additional -1 resistance penalty on the target.”
Does it also work when the spell is in the item and hero swings it on the enemy, such as Death-3 becomes Death -4?

“Did those spiders move last? If they moved before the other spider, they could have moved onto the tile the other spider is on in the screenshot, then to the hill then to grass for a total of 4. It's hard to know what happened without a video recording.
Did you try to move onto those hill tiles? Did they cost 2 as expected?”
You are right. Sorry for reporting this wrong. It is good that the game save gives exact same battlefield. So I was able to reproduce.

When researching spell is complete excess does not carry over to next spell. This requires mental effort to watch not to under research 2 turns before finishing. Can you do something about this? Ideally carrying over to the next spell research.

Quote:Text says “alchemists’ guild equips all new troops with magical weapons with +1 to hit”.
Which it does. But magical ranged attacks don't use the weapon, I think that's common sense. You don't shoot fireballs out of your sword or dagger if you are a magician. You also don't make staves, books or scrolls from metal, magical or not.

Quote:Does it also work when the spell is in the item and hero swings it on the enemy, such as Death-3 becomes Death -4?
No, that's not a spell, it's a touch attack.

Quote:When researching spell is complete excess does not carry over to next spell. This requires mental effort to watch not to under research 2 turns before finishing. Can you do something about this? Ideally carrying over to the next spell research.
I can't, mainly due to how research modifiers work in the game, but the way RP is stored doesn't help either.
In particular, abilities like Conjurer increases RP gained, instead of reducing the RP cost of summoning spells. So the extra 25% RP would carry over to the next, non-summoning spell.

In CoM II it will carry over however, as retorts and books will give a % RP cost reduction (same way as casting cost reductions work now)

“Which it does. But magical ranged attacks don't use the weapon, I think that's common sense. You don't shoot fireballs out of your sword or dagger if you are a magician.”
Not common sense to me.
Even in CoM heroes shoot out fireballs, Fire Bolts, Zombies, etc. from magic items wizards find, buy, or create. 
Alchemy (hence Alchemists Guild) was pseudo chemistry. Unlike priests they experimented with materials. Their magic sometimes worked, sometimes did not. Their theoretical understanding was sometimes wrong, sometimes right. The versions that only had verbal component were mental magic such as religion. The rest needed some matter and actions to make them work. When alchemists became confident in their theoretical understanding they renamed their field of study to chemistry. So now we have hand grenades, flame throwers, napalm bombs, nuclear missiles. For us it is tech, for them it would be magic. Some existed thousands of years ago in various less effective forms.

But most important is that games are designed for users. If there is ambiguity, there is opportunity to improve the game so user perception will improve.

I guess it costs nothing to add it to the building help entry so might as well.

Can monsters in CoM just appear out of thin air? I've had a situation when I built a city on a 2 tile island expecting to save money on its garrison and boom! Here comes the monster squad. And those weren't Nagas. Nor the reptilians.

Can Monsters reconquer Magic Nodes I asked expecting the answer no?
Because I've seen a pack of rampaging Guardian Spirits and thought to myself hot damn, they're gonna capture my node. But no. They chose death on the field of glory storming my city instead. Despite the fact that the node was undefended.