As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic Release thread : latest version 6.06!

When is Stoning Touch applied? Before hand to hand? What if a unit of Cockatrices attacks a unit of War Trolls? In what order they perform Stoning Touch? How many times? Applied to who?

Is the Fortress Lightning bolt a Chaos spell? Also, is it armor piercing? Does it shoot on Invisible Unit?

Change text for Cockatrices to state that it summons 4 of them. Also for Chimera and the other summoned units.

Remove text that Night Stalker is non-corporeal.

Holy Word brief text says that it applies to all enemy fantastic creatures. But the full text does not say that. Which one is true? Make it consistent. Add Target. Currently it is n/a.

Add to Lizardmen that they can’t build Builders Hall.

Does unit’s Fire Breath work if it is retaliating? How about Stoning Touch? Stoning Gaze? First Strike?

Quote:When is Stoning Touch applied? Before hand to hand? What if a unit of Cockatrices attacks a unit of War Trolls? In what order they perform Stoning Touch? How many times? Applied to who?

Exactly like the original : https://masterofmagic.fandom.com/wiki/Touch_Attack

Quote:Is the Fortress Lightning bolt a Chaos spell? Also, is it armor piercing? Does it shoot on Invisible Unit?

Yes x 3

Quote:Change text for Cockatrices to state that it summons 4 of them. Also for Chimera and the other summoned units.

Why? None of the unit stats are listed in the description, including the figure count. There is a manual for that.

Quote:Remove text that Night Stalker is non-corporeal.
Done, also added they have immunity to weapons.

By the way I remember I was thinking a lot about one particular part of Night Stalkers : their Cold Immunity. There is literally nothing in the Nature realm that can do anything about a Night Stalker, unless the player is willing to risk losing the entire unit to the gaze attack and deal damage that way. You can web it but even if you do, you can't actually hurt it at all.

Maybe removing the Cold Immunity and adding Non-Corporeal instead would make more sense. (The problem with that though is the unit becomes able to move at speed 3 on the overland map. In combat that's actually fine as it makes the unit more usable on rough terrain but on the overland map, faster Nightstalkers likely isn't a good idea as they are a "strong early" unit. Although, invisible AI nightstalker stacks coming from the sea would be scary... this is an idea worth considering!)

Or we can keep the creature as is which encourages Nature wizards to take a single Chaos book for Fire Bolt.

Quote:Holy Word brief text says that it applies to all enemy fantastic creatures. But the full text does not say that.
The full text says "Attempts to banish outright all fantastic and/or undead creatures."

Quote:Add to Lizardmen that they can’t build Builders Hall.
"cannot build advanced buildings" has that meaning. "Advanced Buildings" refers to Builder's Hall and all buildings that require it.

Quote:Does unit’s Fire Breath work if it is retaliating? How about Stoning Touch? Stoning Gaze? First Strike?
No, Yes, Yes, No.

Thanks for the article on Stoning Touch. It is useful. But what if Cockatrices attack Great Wyrm? Great Wyrm may kill them all with a single retaliation if rolls high. Do all 4 figures of Cockatrices die, but still deploy their own melee and 4 times stoning touch? Or maybe first Cockatrices figure stones the Wyrm and the other 3 figures do not suffer the Wyrm damage? Being applied simultaneously does not make it clear.

“x 3” What do you mean? Why x 3? It is not displayed in Fortress text.

“Why? None of the unit stats are listed in the description, including the figure count.”
To make it more user friendly. For example, it displays it for Giant Spiders, Shadow Demons, Skeletons, Wild Boars, and most single figure summons, which is nice and user friendly.

Remove Eldritch Weapon Text from Flame Blade.

Add to Flame Blade that does not apply to magic ranged attack. Why? To help the user.

Quote:Being applied simultaneously does not make it clear.
Being applied simultaneously means all the attacks calculate the damage without applying it, then after everything is calculated, both units take all the calculated damage. So neither attack can affect the damage dealt by the other.

Quote:“x 3” What do you mean? Why x 3? It is not displayed in Fortress text.

You asked 3 questions. The answer was yes to all 3.

Quote:Remove Eldritch Weapon Text from Flame Blade.
Done.

Quote:Add to Flame Blade that does not apply to magic ranged attack. Why? To help the user.

It clearly says "missile attack". I won't explain every single game term in every single help entry that uses that term. That would be endless.

Quote:“Why? None of the unit stats are listed in the description, including the figure count.”
To make it more user friendly. For example, it displays it for Giant Spiders, Shadow Demons, Skeletons, Wild Boars, and most single figure summons, which is nice and user friendly.

I understand it's user friendly but there will be higher priority things to do than that for the forseeable next 6-12 months.
...no, actually I don't understand. If someone doesn't even know what a Giant Spider is, how would knowing you get 4 in the unit help with anything? If they know then they also know there are 4 figures in the unit.

Small typo report:

in Rebuild Everything help text: "procduction" -> "production"
In Spell Books help text: "discout" -> "discount"

Also, when gaining Artificer as a reward from a lair, would it be possible to add the Create Item spell if the Wizard doesn't already have it?

Quote:in Rebuild Everything help text: "procduction" -> "production"
In Spell Books help text: "discout" -> "discount"

Fixed.

Quote:Also, when gaining Artificer as a reward from a lair, would it be possible to add the Create Item spell if the Wizard doesn't already have it?

Yes, that might be possible. Do we want to?

“Being applied simultaneously means all the attacks calculate the damage without applying it, then after everything is calculated, both units take all the calculated damage. So neither attack can affect the damage dealt by the other.”
OK. So this means that wyrm does its full damage and possibly kills all 4 Cockatrices even if the first figure stones the wyrm? This goes against the figures performing in order since first figure is dead, then wyrm kills second and third figures then first figure comes back to life and stones the wyrm then goes back to dead?

“City walls give defense vs magic ranged attacks? How much?”
“3, or if destroyed, 1.” Do you mean To Hit -3 for enemy's attack? Or to Defend +3 for defenders?

Does City Wall To Defend fall back from 3 to 1 if a single part of the wall was destroyed and universally applies to all future attacks regardless of ranged attack's angle? Even if hole is on back side of the city?
I suppose melee is still only possible through the destroyed part and not other parts though. Right?

Web spell worked on unit that had Magic Immunity. Is this intended feature?

AI razes well developed cities too often. Then AI brings in settlers. It is not optimal for the AI. Lower probability that it razes cities. Make it even lower probability if their own Army Strength and Spell Power is higher than their enemy’s.

Successful casting of Possession gives immediate control of enemy unit so I can move it in my same turn. Unless, it was my last move in my turn to Possess it. Then I don’t get to control that unit even if possessed in the same turn. it is like force clicking Done on it. Intended feature?

When AI attacks me on global map can you freeze the frame for 2 seconds to show where the battle is? It makes a difference how I want to fight it due to its position.

Quote:“Being applied simultaneously means all the attacks calculate the damage without applying it, then after everything is calculated, both units take all the calculated damage. So neither attack can affect the damage dealt by the other.”
OK. So this means that wyrm does its full damage and possibly kills all 4 Cockatrices even if the first figure stones the wyrm? This goes against the figures performing in order since first figure is dead, then wyrm kills second and third figures then first figure comes back to life and stones the wyrm then goes back to dead?

All touch attacks are also part of damage calculation. The stoning damage will also be calculated first before any unit takes damage and will be actually dealt after both damages were calculated.

Quote:“3, or if destroyed, 1.” Do you mean To Hit -3 for enemy's attack? Or to Defend +3 for defenders?

+3 Defense. Not +3 To Defend.

Quote:Does City Wall To Defend fall back from 3 to 1 if a single part of the wall was destroyed and universally applies to all future attacks regardless of ranged attack's angle? Even if hole is on back side of the city?
No, only the city tile directly behind the wall is affected. Other tiles still get the full +3 defense. (Including the center tiles which are not adjacent to any walls.)

Quote:Web spell worked on unit that had Magic Immunity. Is this intended feature?
Yes.

Quote:AI razes well developed cities too often. Then AI brings in settlers. It is not optimal for the AI. Lower probability that it razes cities. Make it even lower probability if their own Army Strength and Spell Power is higher than their enemy’s.
Settlers and razing are not connected. The AI will use their settlers even if razing the city was the correct strategy.

Razing chance is modified by
-AI personality (worse = more razing)
-Surviving army strength (less = more razing)
-Number of high quality summons in army (more = more razing to let the doomstack keep going and raze everything, winning the game)
-Enemy presence vs own presence on continent (more enemy and less own presence = more razing)

Detailed formula might be somewhere in the changelog, if you want to try improving it.

Quote:Successful casting of Possession gives immediate control of enemy unit so I can move it in my same turn. Unless, it was my last move in my turn to Possess it. Then I don’t get to control that unit even if possessed in the same turn. it is like force clicking Done on it. Intended feature?

If you already moved all your units then the turn automatically ends and you can't cast Possession anymore.
I assume this happened when you were starting your turn with having no units that can move (all webbed for example) in an "all units immobilized" state which allows you to cast a spell even though you had no moves left. I remember I made combat summons somehow preventing the end of turn to let the player move the new summon but control changing spells were not fixed at that time it seems. So this is a bug, but I'll have to first figure out how I fixed it on summons to be able to fix it for control changing spells.

Quote:When AI attacks me on global map can you freeze the frame for 2 seconds to show where the battle is? It makes a difference how I want to fight it due to its position.
No, I can't unfortunately. I plan to add a feature in CoM II that shows you the city (or maybe map) through the Info button in combat.

“All touch attacks are also part of damage calculation. The stoning damage will also be calculated first before any unit takes damage and will be actually dealt after both damages were calculated.”
Do you mean the first cockatrices figure will stone the Wyrm if it rolls that and Wyrm unable to attack the second figure? And first Cockatrices figure dies?
Or all 4 Cockatrices figures die and Wyrm gets stoned?

“No, only the city tile directly behind the wall is affected. Other tiles still get the full +3 defense. (Including the center tiles which are not adjacent to any walls.)”
So if back wall is destroyed then unit standing inside wall next to it gets +1 Defense from all Melee and Ranged attacks coming from outside the wall regardless of angle?

What other spells may work directly on unit with Magic Immunity? All guaranteed impact spells like Doom Bolt, Warp Wood, Entangle, etc.? And all beneficial spells can be still casted on them, such as Healing, Chaos Channels, Flame Blade, etc.?

Entangle text: “All, corporeal enemy units lose 2 movement point per turn”. Change “per turn” to "for the battle". It is flat 2 only. If unit has 3, it stays at 1.

Quote:“All touch attacks are also part of damage calculation. The stoning damage will also be calculated first before any unit takes damage and will be actually dealt after both damages were calculated.”
Do you mean the first cockatrices figure will stone the Wyrm if it rolls that and Wyrm unable to attack the second figure? And first Cockatrices figure dies?
Or all 4 Cockatrices figures die and Wyrm gets stoned?

This is the algorhytm (very simplified) :

Code:
Set X = Sum for each attack applicable Calculatedamage(attacker, defender)
Set Y = Sum for each attack applicable Calculatedamage(defender, attacker)
Dealdamage(defender,X)
Dealdamage(attacker,Y)

So yes, the cockatrices and the wyrm both dies, assuming the Wyrm hits hard enough and stoning was successful.

Quote:So if back wall is destroyed then unit standing inside wall next to it gets +1 Defense from all Melee and Ranged attacks coming from outside the wall regardless of angle?
Yes.

Quote:What other spells may work directly on unit with Magic Immunity? All guaranteed impact spells like Doom Bolt, Warp Wood, Entangle, etc.? And all beneficial spells can be still casted on them, such as Healing, Chaos Channels, Flame Blade, etc.?
Beneficial spells work.
Spells that target the ground instead of the unit work. (Crack's call, Earth to mud)
Web works.

I think that's everything.

Quote:Entangle text: “All, corporeal enemy units lose 2 movement point per turn”. Change “per turn” to "for the battle". It is flat 2 only. If unit has 3, it stays at 1.

That's nitpicking.
The word "movement" can both refer to the variable that stores the number of unused moves left for the turn, or the number of moves the unit has each turn. There isn't a separate game term for them. Here it's the former.