As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[PB78 SPOILERS] GT and Magic Science in the Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland

The only thing I'll say is that I have been shocked by how useful Immortals are the two times I've had them.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(June 5th, 2024, 12:35)Commodore Wrote: The only thing I'll say is that I have been shocked by how useful Immortals are the two times I've had them.

Two times? You really have been playing for ages.
Have you played as every Civ at least once yet?
Participated in: Pitboss 40 (lurked by Mr. Cairo), Pitboss 45 (lurked by Charriu and chumchu), Pitboss 63 (replaced Mr. Cairo), Pitboss 66Pitboss 69, Pitboss 74
Participating in: Pitboss 78 (lurked by GT), Pitboss 79 (lurking giraflorens)

Criticism welcome!

I remembered this morning about popping minerals from Mines. That mechanic makes me think that the world cannot be totally bereft of metals, because that would mean one lucky pop would be all it takes to decide the winner of the game. I know we were warned to expect an unfair game, and I am perfectly fine with that, but that level seems too far.
Making the metal unusually hard to get is not out of the question, though. On an island or under Barbarian control. “Barbarians hording resources.” contemplate. Or giving us only Iron, no Copper.

About Horses, no great revelation, I just feel like if there were none, then Arabia would be banned. Maybe. Though Horses could still be away on an island, etc.

The nigh endless possibilities of the Mystery Box are already driving me to merry madness, if you can’t tell. I love this game. smile.

But I had better stop the rampant speculation here, for now, I think. It is not making me any better informed, just hurting my head. Best to gamble hopefully in the snakepick and learn what is true when the game begins.
Participated in: Pitboss 40 (lurked by Mr. Cairo), Pitboss 45 (lurked by Charriu and chumchu), Pitboss 63 (replaced Mr. Cairo), Pitboss 66Pitboss 69, Pitboss 74

Criticism welcome!

I'm more than happy with Persia / Louis, I can imagine fog busting being important (Thus the two free culture + cheaper culture buildings) with raging barbarians, so as a "backup", if Gavagai gets the GW before us, having CRE won't hurt. Immortals/Bigger borders and a more "offensive" defense vs. Barbs in case we don't get the GW is a good "Plan B"..

Let's GOOO smile

Alright, we are Louis XIV (CRE/IND) of Persia (Agriculture/Hunting, Immortal, Bazaar).

Scooter, I will pick our third starting technology when I get home from work tonight.

GT, any ideas about that third staring technology technology? I think either Mining or The Wheel. The idea is that we should have Animal Husbandry, Bronze Working, and The Wheel done by the time our Settler is ready, so we can see both early strategic resources and be ready to connect them, wherever they are. That gives us the most opportunity of where to settle to be ready against the Barbarians. Should be doable with Small tech costs. The question is just what we want the Worker to do next after Pigs, Corn, and Ivory? Could be chopping, could be Road-building.
I will think about it.

Criticism welcome!

We'll definitely have at least one player trying the Great Wall (besides us) - Gavagai 100%..

Do we want to go fully towards it? Then we need mining.

I'm usually a fairly late "roader", and I believe with the rivers we don't need roads that quickly.

Hunting is quite good here - we can get those Elephants with forest (decent early tile) soonish.

Agriculture is also useful from the start - even if it's dry and non-river maize (5 food, right?)

There are 2 hills which can be mined, and which we'll need to operate if we want the Great Wall ourselves.

Here is how I see it, with kinda "must do" order:
Worker first (very obviously), 12T (by farming that FOREST LAKE, LOL!)
The extra 2 Gold should make research fairly fast..

Assuming we pick Mining as 3rd tech, go straight for Masonry as first tech, so after the worker, we can start with the Great Wall asap?

Careful scouting around the capital meanwhile..

After the worker is done, I would suggest the maize first -> as great as the river pigs are, we won't go AH first unless we don't try the GW.

And we want to grow quickly to what, Pop4?

So Maize farm improvement -> Elephant camp -> Mines (or chop once we get bronze working? After Masonry, do we go straight to Bronze? I would suggest so, unless we discover something that would change everything..)

This is clearly NOT a very straight forwarded start like other games.. definitely needs to sandbox this, to know what's the best approach to get the GW asap (but also not to make the start too slow otherwise)

I'd expect that no stones are to be found closeby.

But yes, I'd advocate for a wonder first, not settler first strategy. With the rules in this mod, we can send out settlers with a simple warrior as protection if we nail the GW, while everyone else might get harassed by barbs 7/24..

Also, if we grow to Pop4 (and decide not to slave the GW), we'll get that settler fairly fast after the GW has been built with a Pop2 whip.

GT, thank you for your post. You are right that we need to use a sandbox for this start, and that going Great Wall before Settler is worth thinking hard about. I will make a sandbox later and get back to you about this.

Scooter, in the interest of not delaying the game, I will provisionally say: Please give us MINING for our third starting technology, thank you. But if you are not ready to launch quite yet, I would not say no being allowed to change my answer after another evening of thinking. Though Mining is very likely the right choice.

Criticism welcome!

(June 7th, 2024, 11:33)Magic Science Wrote: Scooter, in the interest of not delaying the game, I will provisionally say: Please give us MINING for our third starting technology, thank you. But if you are not ready to launch quite yet, I would not say no being allowed to change my answer after another evening of thinking. Though Mining is very likely the right choice.

I do not have all starting techs from players yet, so you may have a window to change your mind. I'll pencil you down for Mining though in the meantime.

I assume your starting tech has not changed right? Just making sure. One other player has yet to confirm, but once they do we'll be pretty locked in.

Well, I thought no more about it, but Mining still seems okay for our third starting technology, yes.

Criticism welcome!