As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New year, New Master of Magic! v1.5 fan patch

I did a fresh install of 1.31 then 1.4n then 1.5RC3 overwriting all files. Didn't use the tweaker at all. You got a treasure with Bhagtru and didn't have the same problem as I did, trying to let it go? Maybe redo it a few times until you get a sword or armor as treasure. I tried to record a DOSbox movie with ALT-CTRL-F5 but all I got was a black screen.

How do I edit the help file?

(January 8th, 2016, 08:01)Tiltowait Wrote: I did a fresh install of 1.31 then 1.4n then 1.5RC3 overwriting all files. Didn't use the tweaker at all. You got a treasure with Bhagtru and didn't have the same problem as I did, trying to let it go? Maybe redo it a few times until you get a sword or armor as treasure. I tried to record a DOSbox movie with ALT-CTRL-F5 but all I got was a black screen.

How do I edit the help file?

Yes, I got a treasure and had no problems with it. Tried like 5 times, got armor, sword, ring, all working. I tried putting them into all 8 vault slots, on the hero, even tried invalid slots and nothing weird happened. Unless the save was edited, I don't think this can be anything other than generic memory corruption.

All help texts are in HELP.LBX.
You need to open the file in any hex editor you like (normal text editors can't handle it most likely), and everything is plain text. You search for the text you want to replace, type in the new one, save and done. Byte 00 is the end of the text constant in case you want to make it shorter or longer. You only need to be careful to put the text to the exact same place in the file where the old one was. There are like, 1000 characters for each entry so space is pretty much unlimited.

I'm also seeing vault problems with RC3. When I receive an item, I can click on any of the vault slots, at which point the color aura on the item disappears and its name no longer shows up. However, the mouse cursor remains the item's icon. I can still break the item over the anvil. If I try this with the semi-unselected item it asks the usual confirmation question but with a zero-length string as the item name. I haven't said yes to that question yet, since I worry it would crash.

I'll try to compare the RC3 files with CoM's files in the changed location and see if it's a match or the patch was applied incorrectly.
Edit : not a single byte of difference anywhere in that area. If there is a bug, it has to show up in CoM too and so far I haven't seen it happen.
Are you absolutely sure you didn't do anything in tweaker or anything else that writes into the .exe? (some editors might do it where you don't expect that).
Actually, could one of you send me the exe file that produced the bug, so I can compare the file with the one I uploaded? That would eliminate the possibility of third party interference.

I also still think that the "flying units won't attack non-flyers" combat AI patch doesn't belong in the release. It reveals other bugs or at least strange behavior by the AI, and also makes combat more annoying.

(January 8th, 2016, 18:45)Seravy Wrote: I'll try to compare the RC3 files with CoM's files in the changed location and see if it's a match or the patch was applied incorrectly.
Edit : not a single byte of difference anywhere in that area. If there is a bug, it has to show up in CoM too and so far I haven't seen it happen.
Are you absolutely sure you didn't do anything in tweaker or anything else that writes into the .exe? (some editors might do it where you don't expect that).
Actually, could one of you send me the exe file that produced the bug, so I can compare the file with the one I uploaded? That would eliminate the possibility of third party interference.

exe files attached

anyone recommend a hex editor?

Attached Files
.zip   MAGIC.zip (Size: 472.9 KB / Downloads: 1)

(January 8th, 2016, 19:02)Tiltowait Wrote:
(January 8th, 2016, 18:45)Seravy Wrote: I'll try to compare the RC3 files with CoM's files in the changed location and see if it's a match or the patch was applied incorrectly.

exe files attached

Nothing is different.

At length, I was finally able to get a video taken. http://megadrv.com/0DPse-dosbox-2016-01-...-43-46.avi

(January 9th, 2016, 01:39)Tiltowait Wrote: At length, I was finally able to get a video taken. http://megadrv.com/0DPse-dosbox-2016-01-...-43-46.avi

Wow, I got the exact same sword yesterday and it worked. Heck, I tried it again right now, and even made sure I use the RC3 wizards.exe and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZjeDkQu...e=youtu.be

That's just...not possible.
The only thing I can think about now is that you use some different setting that bugs something but
none of those should be related...
edit :Tried changing the settings, still no bug here.

One more thing to try :
http://www.filedropper.com/wizards

This is the exe where I fixed items having ID>=128 not being visible. Maybe it'll show where those "swords" come from.
It's especially weird to see the item you place in the vault disappear, I'm quite sure that is because it has an item id over 128...but it shouldn't have one.

Installed replacement .EXE. Same behavior as in above video.

Here's my Settings screen. Using General MIDI music, Soundblaster Pro later sound.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)