As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

T136 Preview - Since I rolled the turn I got to see this before I logged out:

[Image: T136-Revolt.JPG]

lollollol

Can I have another of those, PLEASE? dancing

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I remember Sullla mentioning in one of his reports that you can't flip cities that were captured through conquest...
(March 12th, 2024, 07:40)naufragar Wrote:"But naufragar, I want to be an emperor, not a product manager." Soon, my bloodthirsty friend, soon.

Well, you can, but it's a game setting determined when the map is rolled. I don't have a picture of the game settings screen to check this game's settings but I'd guess it's turned off (default).

"thestick, throwing cold water on xenu since post #292."

Edit: Except that I did have a screen shot (but I didn't see it until I tried to save a new one with the same name). Yeah, no recapturing via culture in this particular game. frown

[Image: PB8-GameSettings.JPG]

If that setting were turned on it would be listed in the second column.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

T136 - Other than the revolt not much happened. Serdoa wanted my world map for peace. Declined! Dude your army isn't getting any further, I'm not skeeeeered. Straight up peace or don't bother.

Settler is almost ready in Two Fish, going to the island south of One Fish for fish/silks. I'll throw out more settlers soon to grab the marginal remainder of my lands.

Demographics:

[Image: T136-F9.JPG]

Is it me or is there a power buildup going on somewhere out there? hammer

T137 - Serdoa offered a white peace, which I accepted. I doubt this will please sugar daddy Commodore, who may decide his gifts of horses, etc., aren't required of a team not at war with a primary rival, but oh well. I'm at a disadvantage in the water against Serdoa until I finish Metal Casting (about 5 turns away most likely), so that will buy me enough time to drop some triremes in the water to protect from a sea invasion, which is the only way he's getting in since we don't share a land border. However, just because I'm not going to be at war with Serdoa doesn't mean I can't be at war. lol

Why?

[Image: T137-NakorTakesMySpot.JPG]

That settler due to finish next turn was headed here, and Nakor is placing a city there next turn. Why have I no luck in this game? It may cost me a few units but damn it all that's my spot. < /irrational> I may have thought twice about it if that GG archer was promoted up the city garrison line, but drill? On a 3 strength unit? What's the point??? (And now that I've questioned it I'm sure it will win a few flawless victories, due to the first strikes). crazyeye

I give you this turn's map, annotated with new battle plans!

It sucks that Nakor will see me coming but I can't move in now anyway, as our peace will last two more turns (well I assume that's really one more turn, this turn counts as one turn, T138 the 10th turn, I think). Anyway I'm going to burn that city soon. Yeah, I could go settle my horses, but I want this spot.

I may be sending out another settler immediately after this one finishes in Two Fish, though. I'm going to settle the spot W,W,NW of Two Fish, whip in a granary, barracks, and a lighthouse, and then whip units until my whip anger is like one billion. Sounds like a great plan, right? smoke If my future defensive plans are supposed to make me look like I'm too much trouble to kill, I need to look like this:

[Image: spiny.jpg]

Not this:

[Image: sm3dl-goomba-tower.jpg]

So with all apologies to Sian (see PBEM44), it's time to add unit build queues!

And yes, someone is building up power. Multiple people, actually.

[Image: T137-F9.JPG]

My power keeps dropping in rank, but strangely other than Brick I'm still competitive in my neighborhood on the power graphs. Serdoa is ahead of me now (not that the graph shows it, on delay), but other than him and Brick I'm ahead of everyone else I have graph visibility on. So I can track power on the guys in 7th-11th place, plus Brick. Great. bang

I've read '44 but I don't get the reference...
What are your long term plans if you don't get invaded?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

RE: Sian - I criticised his (repeated) practice of building bad, culturally crushed, apparently exposed cities. It seemed like all he used the cities for was pumping units for endless attacks against Boldly Going Nowhere. The attacks were ultimately disruptive but unsuccessful, and Boldly burned several of these bad "build queue" cities as the game went on.

Now, I'm going to do the same thing, building small, marginal cities for no purpose other than to war constantly (probably unsuccessfully, but hopefully disruptively). That's the plan, at least until I'm invaded again.

Side quest: declare war on every player at least once. hammer

T138 - Ho hum turn. There isn't always a lot going on when you only have four cities and no wars to fret over.

I had an archer loaded onto the galley sitting 2W of Two Fish last turn. I dumped him onto the hill tile outside my territory on the peninsula to get a look at the coast over there. I didn't see anything, which is fine by me. Not that it matters, I should have saved the gold it cost me to have a look but I've been wanting visibility over there for a while and I'm playing for lulz now anyway, so there you go.

The settler from Two Fish boarded the galley and will disembark next turn, settling Sad Fish in two turns. I'm putting a few turns into barracks at Two Fish because I'll finish that within 50 turns. Another military unit, I'm not sure if I'd finish it within 10 turns (depends on my neighbors now doesn't it?), so I passed on that for now. I want to grow Two Fish back to using its cottages before it starts the next settler. One Fish will probably build a settler soon too, when it grows in 3 turns. I'll need another Buddhist, but really, do I need the missionary at Sad Fish? I'll whip barracks there, maybe I'll get a free spread. Anyway, I should have probably swapped One Fish onto a lighthouse since I still haven't built one there, but I never work coast in that city (and frequently not even the lake tile) so it hasn't been worth it yet. The Buddhist was supposed to go south but we see what has happened to that plan.

Speaking of that, my boats have to idle this turn because they can't declare war on Nakor until next turn anyway. So I shuffled one boat E,SW onto the tile pictured, joining the other boat that moved onto that tile. That gives the impression that the galleys aren't waiting around for anything, because as of now Nakor hasn't seen these boats yet (I played after him last turn but before him this turn). I'm going to do my best to play before him next turn, too, so that I don't double move him on a war declaration. I'm tired of being second in turn order in every war, maybe this time I won't have to be. But as he has a turnplaying teammate and I don't, I'll probably be away tomorrow when the turn rolls and come back finding I'm playing second in yet another war. Blah.

What else...the worker stack left the fort at 9/10 worker turns invested, so if my invasion radar starts pinging I can finish it quickly and hope for the best. I don't want to do it now though, because that grass hill mine is a good tile and I'm short of those. Pretty much the plan is to keep growing as large as I can on all positive or food neutral tiles for as long as I can (Two Fish and Old Fish), and then work whatever other tiles I have (mines), and then be ready to whip like crazy again when the time comes.

Four turns to Metal Casting, triremes, and forges.

Demographics:

[Image: T138-F9.JPG]

Do you have currency (or Alphabet)? Wealth is a good build when you're just building whatever in order to grow.
I have to run.

(March 2nd, 2013, 02:24)novice Wrote: Do you have currency (or Alphabet)? Wealth is a good build when you're just building whatever in order to grow.

Eh, I actually want all of the things I'm building, eventually. But yes, I have Currency and could build wealth.