As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic Release thread : latest version 6.06!

My Torin unit with 32 doom attack couldn't do any damage when melee attacking magicians with a defence of 6. 
However when they attacked him he killed them immediately with his counter-attack.

The file should be the right one, just move Torin to attack the city one tile North West of his current position. It doesn't happen every attack, but a lot of them.

Attached Files
.gam   SAVE6.GAM (Size: 151.96 KB / Downloads: 2)

(September 13th, 2020, 02:59)MrBiscuits Wrote: My Torin unit with 32 doom attack couldn't do any damage when melee attacking magicians with a defence of 6. 
However when they attacked him he killed them immediately with his counter-attack.

The file should be the right one, just move Torin to attack the city one tile North West of his current position. It doesn't happen every attack, but a lot of them.

As expected, it's the usual. 3 of those magicians were flying and your Torin has no thrown or breath attack so he can't attack them but the system autochanges the ranged attack to melee because it's stronger.

Where can I read changelogs for all versions past 6.0? The manual supplied with the Steam version only lists changelogs upto 6.0

Thank you for your fast reply. 
Yes the game was edited for the retorts and spells.

It seems more of an AI problem to me, if i am attacked i have no problem ending my combat turn with casting a spell.
If i remove 3 of my combat spells, the game have a different behavior on my PC: the dosbox window just closes.
If i remove all my spells, again a different behavior : the game freezes but this time i cannot move the mouse cursor.

Anyway as the game was edited maybe it is not worth the effort to fix it like you mentioned.
I will try to post issues on not tampered games in the future ^^. 
Like i have a tampered game created in 6.0.5 where i attack a neutral town full of wizards with one wizard, and the AI just flee (no attack).

On a side note, when spells increase the max population of a town, do you intend to go above the max population of 25 ?

Kind Regards

MoM is a DOS game with extremely limited space for additional data or logic. The structures are designed to be just big enough to handle valid states. There just isn't room for more unless Seravy takes it from some other structure or feature.

(September 13th, 2020, 06:31)Anskiy Wrote: Where can I read changelogs for all versions past 6.0? The manual supplied with the Steam version only lists changelogs upto 6.0

It should be included, it was in the DLC folder when I checked. Maybe there is another, older version in a different folder?
Yeah there is a "manuals" subfolder which has never been updated and contains the manuals converted to PDF format.
Anyway, it's also available here : http://seravy.x10.mx/CasterofMagic/CASTEROFMAGIC.HTML

Quote:It seems more of an AI problem to me, if i am attacked i have no problem ending my combat turn with casting a spell.

That actually is a good hint where the problem is. The crash does happen at the beginning of the AI's turn and at that time there is only one function that accesses the human player's spell list : the one that checks which protection spells the AI needs to consider using against them. And indeed it does store a list of spells in a local stack array.

So, to fix this, assuming you want to try, it's the function starting at $BBB4E. Replacing the sub sp,$BA and all instances of lea ax,[bp-$BA] with a greater number ($C0 should be enough) can fix the problem in that particular function - but the game might still crash elsewhere during your own turn.

One more thing - I don't remember if that's still true but the game used to crash when a unit was too powerful and had a "unit rating" value that's impossible to reach normally. I did change the calculation so it should be safe for any actually possible hero, but a hero with all abilities twice might trigger that crash as well.

I bought the mod in GOG because I loved it for many years, but I was quite disappointed to see, that there is only a binary .EXE now. I always played the mod on Linux without Wine.

(September 15th, 2020, 06:48)lechium Wrote: I bought the mod in GOG because I loved it for many years, but I was quite disappointed to see, that there is only a binary .EXE now. I always played the mod on Linux without Wine.

Not sure what you mean as I'm not a Linux expert, what else should be there? I mean, it's literally the exact same files as the original, just different contents in the EXEs and LBXs and it has been that way the past 5 or so years.

(September 15th, 2020, 07:23)Seravy Wrote:
(September 15th, 2020, 06:48)lechium Wrote: I bought the mod in GOG because I loved it for many years, but I was quite disappointed to see, that there is only a binary .EXE now. I always played the mod on Linux without Wine.

Not sure what you mean as I'm not a Linux expert, what else should be there? I mean, it's literally the exact same files as the original, just different contents in the EXEs and LBXs and it has been that way the past 5 or so years.

The EXE is not in archive form, so I have to install it with Wine and then copy over the files to the Linux installation of Dosbox/MoM.
For GOG there is a Linux version of Dosbox/MoM packaged but not for CoM. Pretty sure the Launcher isn't compatible, your files of course are.

For me not a big deal tbh, but for Newbs might be not intuitive.

Oh, yes I have heard the installer and launcher don't work on Linux from other users. Maybe report it as a problem on Slitherine's forum or send their staff some emails? I don't think they'll do anything about it unless enough people complain directly.

A zipped version would be especially useful considering the game itself can run on ancient versions of windows and the installer probably does not.