As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS]The Cheap Seats: Lurker Thread

(January 13th, 2013, 10:28)Merovech Wrote: Heh heh. They're one-way only and all lead to the same tile: (0,0). I believe this was actually what Mist and BobCW were able to do in the past, since I didn't do anything special, but that's exactly what I was intending.

For portals to drop you anywhere other than (0,0) you need map-specific python. Obviously the map generator doesn't do that, and you'd need to send the code to each player to add to their FfH install...
Blog | EitB | PF2 | PBEM 37 | PBEM 45G | RBDG1

(January 16th, 2013, 01:05)Sareln Wrote:
(January 13th, 2013, 10:28)Merovech Wrote: Heh heh. They're one-way only and all lead to the same tile: (0,0). I believe this was actually what Mist and BobCW were able to do in the past, since I didn't do anything special, but that's exactly what I was intending.

For portals to drop you anywhere other than (0,0) you need map-specific python. Obviously the map generator doesn't do that, and you'd need to send the code to each player to add to their FfH install...

Ugh. Good thing that I decided to check where (0,0) was on the map before I placed everything else.

For future reference, can this be used to have different portals lead to different locations, or does the python just set all portals to a single, different set of coordinates?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Also, does anyone know how to add knowledge of a specific tech to a civ? I haven't checked the text file for the Worldbuilder save (haven't recieved every civ choice) so perhaps there is a line there, but I do know that Worldbuilder only allows the addition of every tech in an era.

I could add the tech via repeated hut popping, reloading until I get the desire result, then Worldbuildering everything back to normal, but that would, at least in its form of least hassle, have everyone actually starting on turn 1 instead of turn 0. This wouldn't effect anything except the date at the top, of course, but that might be confusing or just weird to see.
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(January 16th, 2013, 01:18)Merovech Wrote:
(January 16th, 2013, 01:05)Sareln Wrote:

Ugh. Good thing that I decided to check where (0,0) was on the map before I placed everything else.

For future reference, can this be used to have different portals lead to different locations, or does the python just set all portals to a single, different set of coordinates?

You can write a different call for each portal.

(January 16th, 2013, 01:24)Merovech Wrote: Also, does anyone know how to add knowledge of a specific tech to a civ? I haven't checked the text file for the Worldbuilder save (haven't recieved every civ choice) so perhaps there is a line there, but I do know that Worldbuilder only allows the addition of every tech in an era.

I could add the tech via repeated hut popping, reloading until I get the desire result, then Worldbuildering everything back to normal, but that would, at least in its form of least hassle, have everyone actually starting on turn 1 instead of turn 0. This wouldn't effect anything except the date at the top, of course, but that might be confusing or just weird to see.

That's not true (it is possible to add single techs in the worldbuilder interface)

In worldbuilder, go to player mode (the mode when you have units) and on the unit pane you'll see tabs that say Units, Buildings Technologies. Any tech the civ has should be highlighted yellow. Click to toggle.

Ahh, thanks. I must have missed that.

Two starting location examples (the others are similar):

Player 3: [Image: Starting%20Location%20Player%203.png]

Player 4: [Image: Starting%20Location%20Player%204.png]

For all starts, every tile in the BFC is the same and the worker turns needed to move to each BFC resource are the same.

Do these seem balanced? Does starting position 3 have too many forests (just noticed how many it has)?

Balance seems pretty decent in general, although I wonder if the starts aren't a little weak for FFH. Fishing takes forever, AH takes forever so the sheep will be mined...a single dry rice is a bit slow, and coast is kind of icky. As a result, I'd expect some to move inland, in which case 4 is better off. Starting settler bonus on?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Ahh. Well, everyone starts with exploration in addition to their natural starting techs (Crafting if they already start with Exploration) so Fishing is a little closer than normal, plus a supplies and an additional, heroic, scout. However, they don't get the free shade that often accompanies starts here, so I think you are right. I will probably irrigate the rice or add an additional, weak, food source.

Yes, starting settler bonus, thanks for reminding me that I have to re-add that.

Edit: Thinking a second, weak food source for both. Maybe add a rice on top of the marsh (4/0/1 tile; takes longer to improve) and turn the dry rice into a banana? I want to keep them close to the coast to start.