As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] naufragar's fist full of pesos (Montezuma)

We found our first food resource:

That irrigated wheat + flood plains makes that area the nicest we've found. I haven't decided whether to circle the scout around to the East or keep going West. It would be nice to see who is going to compete with me for that river area.

At least one team settled in place and is working their forested plains hill:

The rival lowest Mfg of 1 means that someone didn't move to the plains hill and is also working a food tile. The team working the plains hill presumably is building a work boat. I'm not sure why the team working the food tile didn't move.
There is no way to peace. Peace is the way.

Even for a random map that area realy looks very barren when it comes to resources.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

(December 20th, 2019, 16:10)Charriu Wrote: Even for a random map that area realy looks very barren when it comes to resources.

It could be the way I've scouted. With luck I've narrowly missed resources on either side. wink I forget what I've said in which thread but my current plan is to found a city to work both pigs and silver. The silver, despite being only 3 foodhammers, needs to be worked pretty much constantly because of how expensive techs are going to be on this map. This doesn't claim much new territory but if the territory isn't good, no point reaching for it.

Hunting starts... bang

I forgot to take a pic after the scout moved. Ziankali's cap is 6 tiles west of where the scout is in the above pic. Still no food resources, but the fog above the rival warrior contains wines. Not on a river, so can't farm.

Not super thrilled to neighbor Joao.  Siren Very much not looking forward to being choked. Haven't switched to a warrior build because I'm not going to screw up my micro before I'm forced to. Hunting starts. bang

Ziankali stared at his screen for fifteen minutes before choosing not to warrior choke me.

I would bet good money that he will poke an axe my way. I originally planned on using only 1 worker and preserving my forests, but I think I need to get a second, so I can improve copper as fast as possible. Very tense.

Normally not this lazy, but I'm just going to copy-paste:

Here are some plans.

This is my current, normal plan. There are two weird places. On turn 12, I stop working a 3 foodhammer tile and work the silver. This means my BT takes 13 turns instead of twelve, but without this change, I kept missing BV by 1 beaker. All that I lose is some food at size 2. The picture above is the turn we discover BV. If it's not near the capital, I don't found the second city. I probably still shouldn't found the city, since it slows down time to wheel.

In this plan, I finish Agriculture before going to Archery. This is not a good plan.

For this plan, I log back in to this round before it ends and switch from Agriculture to Archery. Ziankali and I will see each other's graphs on turn 14 approximately. I don't want to archer rush him. I really, really don't. It might keep me safe in the short term, but it kills my long-term development. I should add that our capitals are 10 tiles away.

I put Joao into my sandbox to get a rough estimate of when he could get BV. This is the turn he discovers the tech. I think he can connect copper around turn 36 at best. I would be surprised if he were any faster.

Now what do I do with these plans? So much for a nice relaxing game of Sid Meier's Civilization 4. cry

Haven't yet gotten vision on Ziankali's capital.

I don't want to trespass and give him any more reason to think mean thoughts towards me.

I trust the map makers, but I still worry constantly:

I think my signs are wrong. I don't think Ziankali has pre-hooked copper and I don't think he would have started on a tile from which he could only see 1 of his food resources. All the same, the possibility exists and I'm paranoid. Tinfoil If that copper is pre-hooked, I'm dead.

Different question, where do you think you are on the world. I have a guess but like to know yours first.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

Replying in spoilers in case others want to guess too.
I'm 99% sure I'm in the Poland/Lithuania region. When the PB73 map viewer was still online, I spent some time looking for a similar coast and found that Eastern Europe had that single tundra tile. Then I noticed that all the grassland/plains tiles matched, which made me think that the only things changed on the map were resources and rivers. This is incorrect: Scandinavia has been moved closer, so I shouldn't rely on the older map. Since I'm confident about where I am in Europe, I do know that I should not prioritize Sailing, since the land to my north won't get my intercontinental trade routes. I apparently like trying to get metagame knowledge, as you can see in the last post. ("If I were a mapmaker, where would I put copper?")  nono But none of it will matter if Joao can axe rush me. wink What was your guess?

P.S. I haven't downloaded the PB73 map because I haven't had time, but if I did have time, I would play on it just for fun. It (and this game) look amazing.