As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Unicorn lairs

Oh speaking of: Seravy, I had a battle where the AI attacked my city, and destroyed both my university and my miners guild. On my turn I recieved the message that 'blank' couldn't be built anymore so I switched to building something or other. I clicked ok on the production an promptly had the same city show with the message that my mechanicians guild was completed, and it was (showed in city screen and in the hammer output).  I had purchased the mechanicians guild the turn before being attacked so I had over 100% completed it. It was an orc city.

Unfortunately I don't have the save file, but the game continued fine with no bugs (that was my ghoul/high men game).

(February 5th, 2018, 17:24)Seravy Wrote: If the battle keeps going until turn 25, what's the point?
All I need to do is move my units back on that exact turn to keep my city.
Also there is no such thing as "non committal fliers" in the game. That's not a unit trait that exists.
Only flyers at turn 25 - non committal just in the sense of being still there doing nothing. Anyway, raising the destruction ration achieves the same.

Quote:Whether we draw the line at 75 or 100% is a meaningless debate that's just wasting time. Or did you miss the part where I explained that 100% destruction would still leave a lot of buildings in the city? Replaced buildings cannot be destroyed until the next turn when they actually reappear in the city.
Then 100%. Better than what we have now.

Quote:Going over 100% by destroying the city or reducing it to an outpost is something I won't do because it'll lead to new bugs in the game.
Doing this for all but fortress cities won't introduce any and yours is just a "it's a DOS attack" kind of answer. Done that, doesn't work on me.

Quote:I had a battle where the AI attacked my city, and destroyed both my university and my miners guild. On my turn I recieved the message that 'blank' couldn't be built anymore so I switched to building something or other. I clicked ok on the production an promptly had the same city show with the message that my mechanicians guild was completed, and it was (showed in city screen and in the hammer output).  I had purchased the mechanicians guild the turn before being attacked so I had over 100% completed it. It was an orc city.

Oh, that bug. I remember seeing it before, let's see...

So when the building is destroyed, if there is still room in your reports for it (up to 20 but also includes built buildings), it'll add an entry and not remove the production setting, otherwise it will remove it.

Then it'll progress production as normal. If the building completes now, it'll actually succeed and even get added to the building report again (this time as a success, not a failure)

Finally, it'll show you the queued building reports in the order they got added to the array and for each of them that city is set to housing.

So, if I understand this well, the bug is, production should be set to "housing" immediately even if the interruption was added to the report, not just if it wasn't, right?

I wonder why I haven't fixed it before, I have a bad feeling about this. Maybe there was something that breaks if I do fix? I guess we have to try.

Quote:Only flyers at turn 25 - non committal just in the sense of being still there doing nothing.
That's the problem - define "doing nothing". The attacker's units that try to conquer the city are also doing nothing and might be flying. Doesn't matter though, we are not doing this one anyway.

Quote:Then 100%. Better than what we have now.
So you are fine with Magic Vortex destroying up to 100% as well? Losing up to 100% when you conquer the city but have to step on the tiles for a prolonged amount of time because the units just take that long to fight? (think 5 dragon turtles vs 5 other dragon turtles)
Abusing this to destroy 100% in the enemy city by moving your flying units into some empty city tiles?
Do note there is a base amount of loss on conquest that varies by city type and difficulty, so 75% doesn't really take that much to reach in certain cases. 100% will be reachable with only 2-3 attacking units!
This would affect a lot more than just hiding in corners, while the effects on that seem marginal. I'm not convinced this is worth taking that risk.

Meanwhile I confirmed the outpost destruction bug is real. There is no check for a fortress being there, so we either need to disable moving it there (very hard) or somehow check for it and trigger a banishment (how?there is no wizard who's attacking! Do we just say it was neutrals? But it was a spell!) or remove the ability to destroy outposts (easy to do but HUGE change in overall gameplay, not sure if we want that. Destroying outposts with certain spells is a nice feature for Chaos and sometimes Nature wizards.)

How is 100% better than 75%? Sure, for population 5 going to pop 1 instead of 2 is important, but going from 25 to 1 instead of 6 or 7 seems a little strange. I simply don't understand how that's actually better. Especially if you're going to have upwards of 10 buildings still standing as well due to coding restrictions. Having population loss match the maximal building loss seems to make more sense.

Ugh a fortress in an outpost is definitely something I see regularly. To be clear this is only a problem when a spell destroys it right? Too bad we can't set a city zero somewhere just to keep the info handy

Yes, only when a spell destroys it. Fortunately, attacks destroying it now correctly executes the conquest procedure unlike the original game so they can trigger banishment.

But move fortress+raise volcano to get rid of having a fortress to defend is still a thing, and that's bad. God knows what happens if someone actually does do that. If we are lucky, nothing, but if the game code anywhere assumes a "live" fortress can't point to a noncity tile then it might even result in crashes and memory corruption.

I might be able to test it in my current game. I have raise volcano and an enemy with very few cities.

You can raise volcano yourself so you don't even need to rely on an enemy to achieve that.

I don't have move fortress yet but ok that'll work

On the building an illegal building, I wouldn't worry about fixing it too much. The game runs fine with no other issues. (Unless it's a simple fix of course.)