As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

(December 17th, 2012, 13:26)sunrise089 Wrote: A few questions:

1) The DF wiki talked about several scripted encounters, but I forget whether that's still current in your version of the game. One was the "lava river" or similar, is that the same as your magma level you dug down to?

2) Are those adamantine spires the same ones that can open a pathway to 'too deep?'

3) What does this new industry do? I continue to be amazed with the breadth of content in this game, but a lot seems to be based around acquiring money without much purpose. Are all of these industries necessary?

Yeah those spires are the same ones which lead to hell. I think the "lava river" was from back when the game was 2D but it's essentially the same idea, right at the bottom of the map before hell.

DF is a sandbox game. You're right that generating wealth has little intrinsic value, because we're running a self-sufficient fortress and the game does not currently implement a proper economy. What it does do is trigger events like upgrading the status level of the fortress (eventually the king can immigrate) and also cause attacks by NPCs trying to raid the fortress. Clothes *are* eventually needed because the clothes the dwarves begin with will wear out. But a lot of the stuff we're doing, such as building a tower above the entrance, is typical sim-game roleplaying that doesn't have any greater strategic purpose.

(December 17th, 2012, 13:26)sunrise089 Wrote: A few questions:

1) The DF wiki talked about several scripted encounters, but I forget whether that's still current in your version of the game. One was the "lava river" or similar, is that the same as your magma level you dug down to?

2) Are those adamantine spires the same ones that can open a pathway to 'too deep?'

3) What does this new industry do? I continue to be amazed with the breadth of content in this game, but a lot seems to be based around acquiring money without much purpose. Are all of these industries necessary?
In addition to what Uberfish said, I have encountered lava pools or magma chambers rising up very close to the surface (chimney like). Allows you to set up your magma driven metal industry much earlier. In the old 2D days, you were first encountering the underground river, which flooded every spring and was great for setting up farming. Further "down" or deeper came a chasm, which could be used to dump stuff into, but sometimes other stuff climbed back out of it. Then the magma river and beyond that adamantium and "The Demon Pits".

The different industries do have some uses. Clothing becomes necessary eventually. And there are different way to make clothes depending on your resources. Also keep in mind that we have a very easy start, with lots of resources, easy wildlife and I think we played with invasions off for most of the time.
If you are missing trees for example you will have to resort to other materials for some of your goods. And if your trade caravans get continuously slaughtered by nasty wildlife or goblin sieges, you better have a self sustaining fort. smile

The currency / dwarven economy aspect was disabled a while ago. It was implemented in the 2D version, but did lead to some weird behaviour. Basically your fort converts to money based economy, once you mint enough money. Then the dwarves started to stockpile private cash. But it was not fully fleshed out.
It will find its way back into the game in the future, I am sure.

In other news, I am just back from watching "The Hobbit" and got some inspiration on fort design! :D

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

(December 17th, 2012, 17:37)mostly_harmless Wrote: In other news, I am just back from watching "The Hobbit" and got some inspiration on fort design! :D

We're not building Rivendell. And we're not releasing the Balrog.

Well, OK, the second one maybe eventually.....
MP
Pitboss Demo - Darrell's Tropical Trolls
PBEM45G - Sareln

just tried installing this onto my work computer (multiple monitors!) but getting an error with stonesense

Cannot load image: stonesense\buildings\Windows.png
stonesense\buildings\WindowGlass.xml: <building> Failed while parsing sprite node: building (Line 5)
Failure in reading stonesense\buildings\WindowGlass.xml
Cannot load image: stonesense\buildings\Windows.png
stonesense\buildings\WindowGem.xml: <building> Failed while parsing sprite node: building (Line 5)
Failure in reading stonesense\buildings\WindowGem.xml
Cannot load image: stonesense\buildings\mechanics.png
stonesense\buildings\Pump.xml: <building> Failed while parsing sprite node: building (Line 5)
Failure in reading stonesense\buildings\Pump.xml
stonesense\buildings\HorizontalAxle.xml: <building> Failed while parsing sprite node: building (Line 5)
Failure in reading stonesense\buildings\HorizontalAxle.xml
stonesense\buildings\Gear.xml: <building> Failed while parsing sprite node: building (Line 2)
Failure in reading stonesense\buildings\Gear.xml
stonesense\buildings\VerticalAxle.xml: <building> Failed while parsing sprite node: building (Line 5)
Failure in reading stonesense\buildings\VerticalAxle.xml
stonesense\buildings\Waterwheel.xml: <building> Failed while parsing sprite node: building (Line 2)
Failure in reading stonesense\buildings\Waterwheel.xml
stonesense\buildings\Windmill.xml: <building> Failed while parsing sprite node: building (Line 2)
Failure in reading stonesense\buildings\Windmill.xml
Cannot load image: stonesense\vegetation\DT_trees\trees.png
Failure in reading stonesense\vegetation\DT_trees\dt_trees.xml
Cannot load image: stonesense\vegetation\shrubs.png
Failure in reading stonesense\vegetation\shrubs.xml
Cannot load image: stonesense\items\items.png
Failure in reading stonesense\items\items.xml

Anybody else had an issue?

No. Sorry. Did you start it from the DFHack console with "ssense"?

mh
---

with "stonesense". Seems to work fine until I load our fort then it kicks up that message

(December 18th, 2012, 06:58)Jkaen Wrote: with "stonesense". Seems to work fine until I load our fort then it kicks up that message
So you can see other fortresses just fine?
Try starting it from the dfhack console with "ssense". That works for me.

mh
---

Just crashed when I tried in on a fresh embark, will try copying my home directory onto my computer see if that fixes things

Nope didnt work, even trying the newb pack instead. I guess my graphics card isnt man enough to handle stonesense maybe?

That said I guess I shoudlnt play at work anyway!

so who wants the next turn?