As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

Notes about minor details in current COM II Alpha:

- The enchantment-auras are much better now ! Only white/life on a white unit on the overland map is difficult to see.
- The Governor’s flashing-city-pixel is not in the right place on the minimap.
- The map of the City screen is not central in the frame. 
- The fortress building has no text about the owner.
- For many buildings the text “Allows:” is missing.
- Monster invasion “quantity” typo. The monster unit pic should be inside of the black square. … Boars did not show up then.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Unfortunately I can't do much about the city window. The original used 18x20 tiles but this uses 20x20 tiles so less room on the bottom. I do remember trying to move it higher up to center it but for an unknown reason the rendering caused issues when the Y position was negative for the topmost tile.

Figured out what happens with the Chaos Spawn.

It's the Poison.

In the original game, Chaos Spawn had the attack type "multigaze" which counted as one attack that did both the stoning gaze roll, the death gaze roll and then the doom gaze damage in that order.

In CoM II, those are 3 separate attacks as they should be. Poison, being a touch attack, triggers on each attack being done.
So four times : once for each of the 3 gaze attacks and once for the melee.

As Resist Magic doesn't protect from Poison, the Gladiators take 16*0.4 = 6.4 Poison damage.

Similar to what happens if you have Poison on a unit that has Thrown, Breath or Haste, more attacks = more poison.

(October 20th, 2020, 00:05)Seravy Wrote: In the original game, Chaos Spawn had the attack type "multigaze" which counted as one attack that did both the stoning gaze roll, the death gaze roll and then the doom gaze damage in that order.

In CoM II, those are 3 separate attacks as they should be. Poison, being a touch attack, triggers on each attack being done.

That would explain it. But I wonder if that really is as it should be? It seems equally reasonable to me to think that when a unit has 3 Gaze attacks it's just gazing once with 3 effects, rather than making 3 separate attacks. I think this unit is the only one in the game with more than 1 of the same attack type though, so there's nothing else to compare it to.

A gaze attack is just looking at an enemy unit rather than touching it, so the touch poison attack should only happen on the actual melee attack.

Well, we can make a new rule that says "Touch attacks don't trigger on gaze attacks", if we want to. But it would be a rule that's explained nowhere in the game so I'm not sure it's worth it.

(October 20th, 2020, 14:18)Seravy Wrote: Well, we can make a new rule that says "Touch attacks don't trigger on gaze attacks", if we want to. But it would be a rule that's explained nowhere in the game so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Personally, I think the normal interpretation of "Touch" attacks wouldn't include Gaze attacks at all, so it doesn't need an explicit explanation. Like MrBiscuits said, it's clearly not an attack that touches. All the other stuff have a clear mechanism of delivery. Thrown is whatever is being thrown, same with Ranged. Magic has a clear animation of something hitting the opponent, which could be poisonous. Breath is a thing that's being breathed onto the enemy and the idea of there being poisonous gas included isn't much of a stretch. But Gaze? There simply isn't anything physically touching the opponent, so it stands to reason that it wouldn't activate Touch attacks.
I also don't see anything wrong with keeping the multigaze version that was in the original. To me, it seems like having Gazes all activate poison separately is different and unexpected behavior, which is why we had this confusion.

EDIT: Just adding that in the original, although it wasn't tagged that way, I naturally conceived of the poison as a 4th Gaze effect. So like, the Chaos Spawn looks at your unit and it causes Doom, Death, Stoning, and Poison. And it also poisoned you on touch. That to me, can make sense, because you could have a poison spell, for example, that directly applies poison to a unit, even though one doesn't exist. But for each Gaze to be treated as a separate attack, for the Chaos Spawn to look at your unit 3 times and dealing poison each time does not seem obvious to me, even if I know that all other attacks apply poison per attack.

Update :

Quote:2020-10-21
-Fixed bug : Starting relation formula is missing the "-4" part in alignment difference.
-Fixed typo in monster invasion event
-Fixed bug "Allows : " is not displayed if only units are unlocked by the building
-Added missing feature : When mousing over a fortress in enemy city view, the owner's name is shown
-Fixed bug : Inner Power adds 3 defense instead of 2 (or did we want it to be 3, I seriously don't remember?)
-AI research priority, Detect Magic 1188->990
-AI research priority, Nature's Cures 1399->1182
-AI research category, Stone Giant and Angel now moved to "good rare summons" category from "weak rare/strong uncommon" category.
-fixed bug : Pandora's Box subtracts production cost instead of production cost+50 from the budget for each summon.
-Fixed bug : Game crashes when clicking the scroll buttons in the info window
-Fixed bug : Farmer/worker clicking is slightly misaligned
-Fixed bug : AI looks at their own spells instead of the intended target's when targeting Disjunction
-Fixed bug : typo in Philosohper's Stone spell name
-Fixed bug : the first AI player still gets a turn even after being eliminated. As a consequence, the first AI player who actually in the game executes their "start turn" phase twice, gaining income twice as well.
-Further improved flight damage prevention handling in automatic combat, fixed bug of it being logged on simulations as well as real battles.

Will decide on how to handle Chaos Spawn after I finish my ongoing game.

So it looks like there hasn't been a fix for the slow-moving terrain in city tiles issue I mentioned several builds back and no comment on it either. Is that supposed to be intended behavior in COM II, or just rather difficult to fix? It doesn't make much sense to me, if it's intended behavior. It not only nerfs ranged units, it's just weird for the town to not have built roads or something. There should at least be a building to upgrade towns to make all tiles 1-movement again if that's actually intended.

Quote:So it looks like there hasn't been a fix for the slow-moving terrain in city tiles issue I mentioned several builds back and no comment on it either. Is that supposed to be intended behavior in COM II, or just rather difficult to fix?

I might have missed that report. What exactly is moving slow?
City tiles inside battle should cost 1 move each, if you mean they don't, that is a bug, if you give me a save file, I'll try to find why.