As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(March 23rd, 2014, 07:03)novice Wrote: The tech being researched is shown in the score display which overflows off the screen.

I guess you just need to run the game at a higher resolution if this becomes an issue.

Ah, this. Yeah I can see that being problematic and higher screen resolution is the only fix I can think of that wouldn't include more mod work to change the layout of the scoreboard.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Pindicator, Hashoosh, Dhalphir and AutomatedTeller added to the automated email notification smile

I will put up a new version of the portal that I got from Novice now - we're now at version 9. smile
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Caledorn/novice/etc., can you hardcode Holy Roman Empire as Holy Rome for display purposes, or add a character or two to that portion of the display so it doesn't wrap?

#nitpickersanonymous

So, what screen resolution is recommended to be able to view everything?

Completed: PB 28, PBEM 55, PB 18, PBEM 60, some other stuff, PB 2

(March 22nd, 2014, 19:21)Ruff_Hi Wrote: Laugh at Boldly Going Nowhere who changed his in-game name to BGN so that his civ's entry wouldn't wrap in the pitboss monitor.

We aim to please. I felt bad if my name covered up half of a player's screen when it is totally preventable. Also, the second line on the tracker annoyed me. If only we could do something about that pesky HRE line.

(March 23rd, 2014, 07:33)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Ah, this. Yeah I can see that being problematic and higher screen resolution is the only fix I can think of that wouldn't include more mod work to change the layout of the scoreboard.

It should actually be pretty easy to simply tighten up the vertical spacing on the scoreboard. I poked around that area of Python coding back for one of the SP events with a mod. And this would not require another restart, the new .py file can be overlaid in place on the Pitboss host and each player's computer. I'll take a shot today.

(March 23rd, 2014, 10:28)T-hawk Wrote: And this would not require another restart, the new .py file can be overlaid in place on the Pitboss host and each player's computer.

T-Hawk, is this possible just for .py files, or can the .dll be updated like this as well?
I have to run.

(March 23rd, 2014, 10:28)T-hawk Wrote: And this would not require another restart, the new .py file can be overlaid in place on the Pitboss host and each player's computer. I'll take a shot today.

If this is true ... then can we edit the info py file to exclude the lurker civ from the opponents information. That way, we will get a true 'best' and 'average' instead of a distorted one.

Let me take a quick look at the python involved.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

Ok Ruff, you're more of a Python expert than me, I'll let you run with it. Yeah excluding the lurker civ is a great idea too.

The DLL can also take a slipstream fix in an ongoing game, as long as no admin password is set and nothing changes the save file format.

Attached for the info screen, demographics tab only.

I am also attached a 'compare' file that compares the original with the changed version so that someone can review the changes.

I tested it in a SP game and Civ #16 (counting from 0) is excluded from best, worst and average. I didn't try and exclude them from the rank as that might be a little difficult. I will however try to think about how to do that.

I tried to fire it up in the pitboss game and it crashed my civ4 session. I think I saw a 'different asset' warning before the crash. That is good news.

Q: Is the lurker civ #16 (counting from 0)?

Attached Files
.zip   Screens.zip (Size: 820.87 KB / Downloads: 3)
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.