As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Dude, where's my civ? [spoilers]

Yep.

I'm not sure what I'll use it for. I think settling is probably the "correct" play, but it's not one I'm likely to do.

Paying out 75 gold did set back Code of Laws a bit, though. Unless I choose not to replenish my event fund.
Active in:
FFH-20: Jonas Endain of the Clan of Embers
EITB Pitboss 1: Clan/Elohim/Calabim with Mardoc and Thoth

A second griffon has been recruited, even if he did need several turns to consider his options. This one will heal up, then head over to search for Mardoc.

The first griffon will head NNE whlie the second goes more directly NE. Once I find him, I'm not sure exactly which strategy to use. I'll try to learn a bit more and either set up a choke or try to attack directly with the element of surprise.

I may also delay hostilities a bit if I have a chance to acquire more griffons, but I at least want to make contact with him and check his progress more carefully. OTOH, I am spending a lot of money on unit upkeep already, now at 6 gpt.
Active in:

Lizard lagoon:

Depending on how the timetables work out, I might be able to use these guys to gift vampirism to some chariots(moroi).

On the other hand, that might delay me from settling this island, and it looks good for at least 2 cities.
Active in:

(May 2nd, 2013, 13:28)Ellimist Wrote: Depending on how the timetables work out, I might be able to use these guys to gift vampirism to some chariots(moroi).

I'm not sure that I understand.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(May 2nd, 2013, 15:04)Merovech Wrote:
(May 2nd, 2013, 13:28)Ellimist Wrote: Depending on how the timetables work out, I might be able to use these guys to gift vampirism to some chariots(moroi).

I'm not sure that I understand.

Moroi can be gifted vampirism at level 4 (ten exp), but everything else must be at least level 6 (26 exp). Once a moroi has the vampirism promotion, it can be upgraded to a chariot and feast for as much exp as it needs. It can also take promotions such as city raider before I upgrade it, that chariots don't normally have access to.

I can drop a stack of moroi onto that copper tile next to the lizardman ruins, cast haste on them, then attack one of the lizards on the hill. A bronze moroi with combat 1 and commando will have 53.4% odds vs an undamaged lizardman, and gain 6 exp if he wins. I can use this isolated tribe of lizardmen to get some Moroi up to level 4 pretty easily, with 1-2 battles each depending on how many exp they start with. Lizardmen are great for this because of their higher strength, but having a ruins nearby on the mainland would be a totally different situation.

[Image: pediamoroi.JPG]

Why is this important?

Sun Tzu says it best:
Quote:The spot where we intend to fight must not be made known; for then the enemy will have to prepare against a possible attack at several different points; and his forces being thus distributed in many directions, the numbers we shall have to face at any given point will be proportionately few.

For should the enemy strengthen his van, he will weaken his rear; should he strengthen his rear, he will weaken his van; should he strengthen his left, he will weaken his right; should he strengthen his right, he will weaken his left. If he sends reinforcements everywhere, he will everywhere be weak.

Numerical weakness comes from having to prepare against possible attacks; numerical strength, from compelling our adversary to make these preparations against us.

Raiders chariots can do a pretty good job of implementing this advice, but a unit without a lot of exp has to decide whether to spend promotions on mobility or combat strength. This limits their ability to threaten certain targets considerably, because one or two strong defenders per city might be sufficient vs the entire chariot stack. On the other hand, if I include a few that are well promoted to spearhead the attack, it acts as a force multiplier by increasing the defense required at every place they can threaten.

In addition, if I land a chariot from a boat and then give it haste and two mobility promotions, it can have three movement AFTER it lands. Combine that with raiders and eventually engineering... and it would be very difficult to defend against that kind of mobility.

[Image: examplechariot.jpg]

Here's an example of what could be done. This one took shock 2 and the city raider promotions while it was still a melee unit.
Active in:

I didn't realize that you meant using the lizardmen as experience fodder.
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(May 2nd, 2013, 20:47)Merovech Wrote: I didn't realize that you meant using the lizardmen as experience fodder.

Yeah, but you gave me an opportunity to explain the entire plan. It's easier to respond to stuff than just throw updates up when there isn't a whole lot actually happening yet, and I enjoy that type of planning/tactics. Sorry if it came off as patronizing/rude; I had some time to kill today and I've been getting the turns after midnight lately.
Active in:

(May 2nd, 2013, 21:01)Ellimist Wrote:
(May 2nd, 2013, 20:47)Merovech Wrote: I didn't realize that you meant using the lizardmen as experience fodder.

Yeah, but you gave me an opportunity to explain the entire plan. It's easier to respond to stuff than just throw updates up when there isn't a whole lot actually happening yet, and I enjoy that type of planning/tactics. Sorry if it came off as patronizing/rude; I had some time to kill today and I've been getting the turns after midnight lately.

No, you came across fine. I wasn't offended, just explaining what I didn't understand. In fact, posts like yours are how I learned a lot of my civ knowledge in the first place!

Turn 61 did come in after midnight, but thankfully it was three hours earlier than last night.

I'm up to 76 gold on hand, with an expected deficit of 10 when I turn on research next turn. I'll be founding a city on turn 63, but I'm hoping to finish Code of Laws by turn 70 anyway.

Luxuries are going to be pretty important once manors are in. Unfortunately the gems and dye will require BW. Here's some potential coastal sites going west:

BTW, have I missed any of the potential sources of trade income from this list?

+1 Free for all cities
+1 Guilds technology (3698b, formerly at currency)
+1 Trade technology (519b, also gives access to Foreign Trade civic)
+1 Foreign trade civic (no agrarianism, all cities)
+1 Foreign trade civic (no agrarianism, coastal cities)
+2 Great Lighthouse (335h, coastal cities)
+1 Lighthouse in city (40h with ORG)
+1 Stable in city (67h)
+1 Tavern in city (100h, also increases yield)
+1 Inn in city (73h, also increases yield)
+1 Smuggler's Port in city (80h, requires resolution)
+1 Obsidian Gate in city (201h)
+0 Harbor in city (80h, increases yield, colossus effect)
+X Over/Under council resolutions?
Active in:

I thought the GLH was only +1 trade route in FFH/EitB. Been to long to say for sure, however.