As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS]The Cheap Seats: Lurker Thread

(January 30th, 2013, 21:45)Commodore Wrote: Seems fair enough to me, still lets it be Wayne, without automatically just being able to sit there.

Okay. I think I will announce that in a hour if nobody else comments.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(January 29th, 2013, 10:40)Merovech Wrote:
(January 29th, 2013, 09:31)DaveV Wrote:
(January 29th, 2013, 07:10)Merovech Wrote:
(January 29th, 2013, 04:41)DaveV Wrote: I tried playing as the Calabim: they start with Pacificism instead of Nationhood. On turn 36, disaster struck: one of my warriors was destroyed by an invisible Allip. This is very un-fun flavor.

. That should not happen. I will have to change something...

Also, thanks about the starting civic. Do you know how to change that?

What Commodore said. Under the BeginPlayer section,

CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_CULTURAL_VALUES, Civic=CIVIC_NATIONHOOD

I ran this under More Naval AI, since EitB v.8 wouldn't work with the minor leaders, and I didn't want to mess up the pitboss game by switching to EitB v.9. So it may be an artifact of a different AI; in any case, I'd recommend taking Water Walking away from the Allips. Two of them were still sitting at home in Hell, one had come to attack me, and the other had killed off the Sidar.

I thought I had taken it away, to be honest. I wonder if, because it is a natural promotion, it got re-added when you loaded the save. I will have to check to make sure that does not happen in EitB v9. If it does, I will have to change the base unit.

Sadly, this was the problem. The Iras have been replaced by Mistforms.
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

The finished map:
.zip   EitB PBEM XXV.zip (Size: 38.35 KB / Downloads: 14)

I played about a hundred turns with the latest map. Conclusions:

Tech costs are high (huge map), commerce is low. Good commerce and happiness resources are in third or fourth ring cities. Second ring cities should be settled for what little commerce is available. Expansion needs to be managed carefully: distance maintenance is pretty steep, and economic collapse is pretty easy to achieve. Barbs were pretty bad, so a good-sized standing army is required. Since number of cities maintenance is low relative to distance maintenance, aristocracy is much stronger than city states.

I hate lairs. The possibilty of popping a game-winning great person, or (as always seems to happen to me) a stack of capital-razing Azers, just doesn't strike me as a fun addition to the game.

Hey, they wanted lairs and not huts, so I gave them plenty (notice: no epic lairs, at least not on the main continent). Yeah, I'm never sure if I would want an mp game with lairs or not.

Hell isn't as hellish as I wanted it to be... frown

Well for treasure chests, at least not you know not to put them on water. smile

(February 8th, 2013, 23:59)BRickAstley Wrote: Well for treasure chests, at least not you know not to put them on water. smile

Is it the water that's causing those problems? Ahh... That would explain so, so much.

Oh, btw, in order to run a FFH or EitB map through novice's map tool, one has to edit a few things (thankfully, notepad has a find tool). Do all of this to a copy of the map, btw, not to the original map. Most of the following steps can be done through the worldbuilder or in notepad (or a similar program). I recommend the WB for easily visible things, like improvements, and notepad for easy-to-miss things, like base tile type. Also, these steps can be done in different orders, this is just the way I like to do them. Also, remember that most, but not all, text file editing has to be done in ALL CAPS.

First remove any mana nodes, raw mana, typed mana, and FFH-specific improvements, including map improvements, like volcanoes. You can treat mana like the resources below, but since it has no yield replacing it will artificially boost the average tile value, and because it is so militarily important, I prefer to manually balance it. FFH specific improvements (except for nodes) will actually not crash the map editor, as far as I can tell, but they may give screwy results.

Second, and this must be done in the text file, edit the FFH colors to any old color that you want. For some reason, the FFH colors are not defined by color name but by civ name, so they are not compatible with the map editor. Oddly, FFH (or, at least, EitB) maps will correctly read a color name, so you can still open a map after changing the colors.

Third, replace hell terrain with the equivalent normal terrain (Burning Sands->Desert, Obsidian Plains ->Floodplains, etc.), marsh with tundra, and scrubs with forests. I don't know how the map deals with ancient forests, but I suggest changing those to forests, and maybe editing the plot to give the proper yield somehow.

Fourth, replace the FFH-specific resources with BTS resources. I don't remember what I actually ended up replacing what with what, but some suggestions: Pearls->Oil; Mithril->Aluminium; Cotton->Silver; Reagents->Spices; Shuet Stone->Stone; Toads->Sheep; just kill razorweed; Nightmares->Horses; etc.

If one makes a mistake, novice's tool will say exactly what the mistake is.

Note: Barb units may be a problem, as in they can alter the analysis of what land belongs to what civ. FFH-specific units, as far as I know, will not actually crash the tool.

I was going to explain this all in more detail, but I'm beat. Washed dishes for five hours tonight.

Huh, I thought the map had a fair amount of commerce, but maybe I should have added more. DaveV did warn me...