As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic Release thread : latest version 6.06!

(September 28th, 2015, 16:56)zitro1987 Wrote:
(September 28th, 2015, 16:16)Seravy Wrote: How about 1.5/book but no +5 for the Myrran trait? Myrror provides plenty of advantages anyway.

I think that might be a good choice, though testers should heavily monitor how much that changes the dynamics of the game. Seems subtle, but it would likely make a huge impact.

My main argument is: is it worthy to get a third or fourth retort vs +1 power / +2 skill / +1 starting common / +spell availabilities? It should be 'maybe', not 'most likely'.

It's actually...
+1 power / +2 skill / +1 starting common / +3% bonus to research on all spells of the realm / +1 (or 2 in some cases) rare spell to research / +1 (or 2 in some cases) very rare spell to research / -2% casting cost of all spells of the realm (which gets more beneficial the more books you have of that realm).
Individually these are small effects, but there are plenty, and research/cost reduction does have a big positive synergy with the increased chance of you casting spells of that realm instead of others when having more books.

Anyway I added the power change to my "to do" list, I will include it in the next version if possible. Although our reasons are different, we want the same change.

Quote:** More multi-color spell combos: hard to come up with many ideas and generally difficult to mod, but spell modifications with the intention of allowing additional color combos, particularly for white/black wizards, would spice the game up.
I think this is for the players to come up with. I'm 100% happy with the spells as they are now [now meaning the next version not 0.51], except for Cloak of Fear which I'm still unsure about. I never actually cast it because it kinda sounds underwhelming, so I don't know much about how useful it actually is...or isn't.
I think a nice new combo will be Endurance (+1 to defend) with Iron Skin (+5 defense).
Tranquility or Life Force with Gaia's Blessing
probably a lot more but my job is to make the spells good on their own, combo potential is what we need to find out and have fun with afterwards.

Quote:it is too advantageous to have 8 units per city.
That actually was my intention. I want to encourage players to actually defend their cities with proper garrison instead of relying on hax near infinite movement allowance units that can defend anything anywhere.
Now you have two options :
-Defend your towns with weak units, get plenty of gold, but risk losing the city to an attacking army
-Defend with strong units that can actually beat a stack of 9 AI units, but this will cost you more in production and maintenance than what you gain from the unrest removal.
The highest tax causes 55% unrest, assuming a 20 pop city that's 11 people. You still need 7 reduction from buildings (if that's even available) even if you have 4 from units.
The new tax system was designed with the highest rate being a viable option in mind if unrest reduction if properly done and the race doesn't have high unrest (or bad building options to reduce it) by default.
I've only played one game on Impossible difficulty yet, but having 6-8 top tier normal units in each city felt almost essential, places with weaker defense often ended up losing battles.

This is ofc only valid for the default unrest, if there are unrest increasing enchantments around, even max units and buildings will be nowhere near close enough to have no unrest at a high tax rate.

Quote:Have you consider allowing normal units to start with +1 to hit and somewhat reduce their attack ratings?
It's pretty hard to reduce attack ratings as low end units generally have 1-5 attack only, reducing it would significantly reduce the diversity I can have between races. This would also make all attack buff effects a lot stronger and there are plenty in the game.

Quote:** Warlord - doesn't seem very worth it now.
I've just watched a friend play with Warlord and it was quite good. +1 experience level on ALL units in the entire game is a lot, even if it's not very noticeable individually.
You still get +2 stat points for level 1 and 2 units, +4 for level 3, and another +4 for level 4, so on average all your units have +3 points of stats. It's less powerful on units with small amount of figures, but those units are generally very powerful to begin with.
If you play Warlord, it's a good plan to use units with 4 or more figures, but it's still pretty useful even if you don't.

Quote: Early Production Boost - This suggestion may be hard to implement, but imagine if every city has an added constant of +5 production. Add a cheap but weaker sawmill with +2 or +3 production, and city mechanics would greatly improve.
Buy the sawmill immediately for gold and you have exactly this. 200 gold is not much except for the starting city.
It looks much better if the production is actually coming form somewhere instead of being "free" for the same outcome.
This also gives the player a choice not to go for it (which is usually a bad choice but a game is a game because you can make bad choices and suffer the consequences).

Quote:Champions: careful with the low cost, champions are very powerful (including yours) and many players can do great work with them.
I noticed, but prefer to nerf the champions themselves if necessary. If something is gamebreaking, it is gamebreaking even for 750 mana. I'm especially worried about the Black Knight and Paladin, they have the same problem as the Paladins had, Magic Immunity+First Strike+Armor Pierce = unbeatable in melee AND by spells.
Other champions seem less of a problem. (Although they are too good for 400 if you also have heroism)

Quote:When you get to spells like iron skin, the added cost would be so worth it.
The "cost" in these spells is that they take up your overland spellcasting skill so you can't do other stuff like...well, cast Armageddon, summon champions, create an unstoppable sword, and so on.
It really depends on the enchantment, I did increase the base cost of the most overpowered ones.

As the concept behind the mod is maintaining more armies, lower upkeep is a must. If something is too good, I prefer to balance it by raising the casting cost.

Elemental Armor and similar "immunity to one type of attack" enchantments are cheap because they are situational. +10 defense against most magical ranged attacks isn't bad...although...it isn't that good either compared to Guardian Wind which costs even less. They both block specific types of ranged attacks (magical+fire breath vs missile+arrow). I think 15 is a fair cost for Elemental Armor in combat, which leaves no option but 75 for overland. Maintenance cannot be high considering it's a situational unit buff that's entirely defensive (and very much inferior to Righteousness). I need more ingame experience how useful it is, though.

Iron Skin by the way isn't that cheap, it costs 100/3.

Quote:Prayer - Despite added cost, this spell would remain extremely powerful, particularly due to your removal of elite to hit bonus.
Recommendation - removing the 'to hit' and keeping the 'to defend' ... maybe with lower cost.

Might be a good idea, I didn't know how to change that when I was adjusting the spell. However, reducing any of the +1 bonuses to 0 would make it far too weak I think, so not much room here for changes.
And tbh, it's not all that better than Black Prayer (-2 resist is a killer, -1 attack and defense on a low or medium tier unit is worth as much as a -1 "to" penalty), the improved Blur (ok Prayer is nearly twice as good but costs more and is of the "buffing" realm so that's reasonable), and in some cases even inferior to Metal Fires.
I'm fine with some spells being better than others, and there is a catch with Prayer : Unless you are in a big enough battle with 4+ units on both sides, it won't be really helping you much compared to a unit curse or nuke or even a summon.

Quote:Inspirations - Wasn't it +100% production? Your notes state +50%.
I'm a bit confused with this one, I think I found contradicting numbers in the game and assumed it was 100% but later got nerfed to 50...I still don't know what's the official value but 100% sounds way too excessive, I prefer to keep it at 50 and have a low cost to use.

Quote:Phantom warrior / psionic spark / psionic blast - similar damage-oriented spells. Could use some variety.
Well, Sorcery is the realm for illusions. They have different uses, though, Spark is to finish off 3 health units, Blast is expensive but hurts, and warriors are best used when you need additional presence in the battlefield to avoid the battle ending too early due to lack of units. I guess Warriors could be changed but don't have any good ideas for it and don't really see the need.

Quote:Mind Storm - Still too powerful and cheap. It's unresistable and can cripple most units, particularly multi-figured ones. I recommend weakening the penalties somewhat or not letting it affect its attack ratings.
I actually like this spell for the combo potential. For 35 you can usually outright kill (or even take control of) a unit that would be rendered useless from a -5 penalty. However, the resistance reduction allows hurting targets that would be otherwise impossible with resistance based spells. Think of it like this, would you want that enemy unit to lose 5 attack and defense, or...summon a Phantom Beast for 18, defense ignoring melee attack which it can use every turn unit it dies? I'd go with the beast 75% of the time and only use the reduction if I face a 6-8 figure unit with highly buffed to hit and a medium or low attack.

Quote:The weapon-immune fire elemental - nothing should be weapon-immune this early. Too easy to conquer towns, even an enemy capital with a single unit.
The fortress lightning bolt will have a word or two to that. And those 9 Skeletons/Hell Hounds/Nagas if you play hard or higher.
There are way fewer neutral towns in the game now, and most players can easily conquer them even without a fire elemental anyway. Although my main reason is that Fire Elemental is worthless without Weapon Immunity. Single figure, unimpressive stats, it could barely beat a single unit of swordsmen without it. Not to mention, Weapon Immunity is only useful in the early game, after that, everything has magical weapons.

Quote:Immolation - disallow ranged attack effect with it. Otherwise, this unintentional ranged attack 'fireball' bonus gets excessive.
I fixed that bug today morning. I didn't know it was still in insecticide before I actually tested.

Quote: I see an exploit here with the easily accessible one-realm +5 combo with flame blade. Particularly deadly and unstoppable with archers.
Metal Fires is rare though, that means like turn 150+ for this to work. And archers still die to a single hit from a fireball spell, and Flame Blade needs to be cast overland on each of them individually. Powerful vs neutral targets for sure, not so much for enemy wizards. But anything works against neutral targets, a single invisible archer will do the job better.

Quote:what if caster has a 'call lightning' effect on every battle instead of the unrest effect on enemies? that way, you can differentiate it better against great wasting.
Armageddon is plenty strong already, that would be an overkill. The problem was Great Wasting being too weak, not the other way.

Quote:Call Chaos - I actually find the spell pretty poor for 75 mana compared to your flame strike.
It actually can disintegrate targets with over 10 resistance, though. Good point tho, I need to add this spell to my "debug needed" list. There are quite a few problems with it.

0.52 is up, it mostly fixes bugs.
As this update is a priority bug fix for the "AI not using caster" bug, some other minor changes are still untested.

Quote:0.52
-Extra production from sawmill is now considered in detailed display for terrain and % based buildings.
-Adjusted AI starting spell preferred order. This is also used when the player selects a default wizard.
-Capturing neutral cities will now grant more gold (1-20 at random per population instead of 1-10)
-Capturing cities owned by other wizards yields gold equal to the city's gold production*2 but no more than half the gold in the wizard's treasury.
-Capturing the enemy fortress will no longer allow stealing half of the enemy wizard's mana reserves. No more free 10k+ mana for banishing the AI on high difficulty.
-Extra gold from marketplace is now considered in detailed display for % based buildings.
-Wizard's Guild now correctly displays the amount of power as positive
- Evil Presence now correctly displays the amount of power as negative
-Raised the resistance of ships ( trireme = 6, galley and warship = 8)
-Weakness now reduces attack by 3.
-Maybe fixed bug “Flight” not raising movement to 3 if it was 1.5 or more.
-Endurace now grants +1 to defense on top of the 1 movement but costs more and is overland only. (this bonus is also applied from Endurance granted by Teleportation items)
-Immolation is no longer affecting ranged attacks.
-Black Sleep now removes all movement types from affected units (bugfix, was supposed to do this but didn't)
-AI Overland casting priority : Endurance is now priroity 7 to reflect improved effect.
-Wraith Form now requires 2 death books to add into items.
-Doom Drakes now cost 180 and have 1 less defense and 1 less firebreath (they are still much stronger than the original)
-Fixed bug : AI not using the caster ability on units. (caused when I separated mana from ammo)
-Fixed bug : Noble displayed +20h (32) gold instead of +20 gold but only added +20 gold. Now the amount is properly displayed.
-Fixed bug : Miner's Guild doubles the effect of Coal and Iron Ore instead of adding 50%
-AI combat casting : Guardian Wind now receives a priority of “Invalid spell” instead of just 0 priority if no enemy units with appropriate ranged attacks are present. 0 priority spells can still be randomly chosen if nothing else receives a high enough priority boost.
-Fixed bug : Chaos Surge now has an effect when cast by the AI.
-Fortresses now generate 1.5 power per book owned and no +5 bonus for being located on Myrror.
-Power display is now updated to show the correct amount of power from the fortress.

(September 29th, 2015, 04:30)Seravy Wrote: -Wizard's Guild now correctly displays the amount of power as positive
could you share how to fix this? i assume you did the rest as kyrub explained it to zitro?

Code:
Wizards guild
C0A6E    83 C6 08 => 90 90 90 (no research bonus)
C0C2B    83 EF 03 => 83 C7 08   (add 8 power points)
(optional)
C3E01     C7 45 06 08 00 => 90 90 90 90 90 (inner city display of research contribution – must be tested!!)
C4117  C7 44 0E 03 00 => C7 44 0E 08 00  (inner city display of mana contribution – sadly, this will probably show 8 loss… must be tested, otherwise I suggest to use instead 90 90 90 90 90  = no information is better than a misleading one.)

wrong display is what kept me from modding this. i want correct information =)
dance!

(September 29th, 2015, 08:01)letsdance Wrote:
(September 29th, 2015, 04:30)Seravy Wrote: -Wizard's Guild now correctly displays the amount of power as positive
could you share how to fix this? i assume you did the rest as kyrub explained it to zitro?

Code:
Wizards guild
C0A6E    83 C6 08 => 90 90 90 (no research bonus)
C0C2B    83 EF 03 => 83 C7 08   (add 8 power points)
(optional)
C3E01     C7 45 06 08 00 => 90 90 90 90 90 (inner city display of research contribution – must be tested!!)
C4117  C7 44 0E 03 00 => C7 44 0E 08 00  (inner city display of mana contribution – sadly, this will probably show 8 loss… must be tested, otherwise I suggest to use instead 90 90 90 90 90  = no information is better than a misleading one.)

wrong display is what kept me from modding this. i want correct information =)

I moved the "-" from Wizard's Guild into Evil Presence, which conveniently missed it.

411DA 07->0E
411ED 34 00 74-> 46 01 75
41204 75->EB

I also have to apply it again, it seems to have gotten lost while I rolled back some other changes.
I really hope no other changes got lost, please report if you find anything missing from that list.

0.53 is up, contains mostly fixes to all sorts of bugs.
Call Chaos now works better, Call Lightning and fortress lightnings will not randomly skip bolts, Cloak of Fear has a resistance penalty of -3, fixed various missing 0.52 features, improved AI.

-Call Chaos now uses “Healing Charge” instead of “Healing”
-Call Chaos : if Fire Bolt is chosen, it is now strength 30 instead of 15 to match the Flame Strike animation better.
-Call Chaos : if Warp Creature is chosen, it will use a resistance penalty of -10 instead of -1 of original or -5 of the actual Warp Creature spell.
-Call Chaos : Disintegrate no longer does an undetermined amount and type of damage to the units if the resistence roll is passed.
-Call Chaos : Disintegrate now has a -3 resistance penalty, meaning it can kill units up to 12 resistance.
-Call Chaos now costs 65 mana and is show in the “Combat spells” tab instead of enchantments.
-AI combat spelcasting priorities : Call Chaos now uses the same priority calculation as Flame Strike, instead of “no priority”
-Call Lightning, Fortress Lightning : Will now try to find a valid target 100 times before giving up instead of 30. Hopefully this will help avoiding the bug of lightning bolts going missing.
-Call Lightning, Fortress Lightning : If a valid target was found at random, there is no additional 50% chance to ignore it and retry finding another for no reason at all.
-Cloak of Fear (both spell and item power) now has a resistance roll at -3 instead of +0. Restored original costs for the spell. Item power now costs 200.
-AI overland casting priority : Cloak of Fear is now 5 instead of 1 as the effect is more useful now.
-AI unit estimated “defensive” capacity calculation : Defensive Rating is now 4*(Total Remaining Health)*(4+Defense). This calculation is used both in combat and overland.
-AI is allowed to flee when heroes are present in the battle again. Hopefully the new unit value calculation will prevent fleeing with powerful heroes.
-AI unit combat value calculation : The following effects now multiply the unit value : Magic Immunity +100%, Invulnerability +100%, Bonus To Defend or to Hit +33% for each point, Death and Illusions Immunity : +25% each.
-Healing Charge now costs 400 to research.
-Fixed Healing charge missing the help text.
-AI unit estimated combat value calculation : Formula is now {[(Melee Rating+Ranged Rating)*(Defense Rating)]/2048}*(99+Total percentage multipliers,see above)/100 instead of (Melee Rating+Ranged Rating+Defense Rating). Value is capped at 3640 to avoid possible overflows in case of extremely buffed units in a full army. Note that this provides roughly ¼ of the original unit values, even less for low end units. As all units are calculated through this and their relative strengths are used, this shouldn't cause problems, but it might, for example, reduce the priority of castng healing on some units. Considering healing uses 0.25*(unit value) for priority and a weak unit like swordsmen had a value of ~160 for a huge +40 boost, this should actually make healing priorities more reasonable. Overland calculations do not use this subroutine, so they should be unaffected.
-Removed Caster 20 from High Men Magicians, it does not work on normal units unfortunately. Now they have Fireball again.
Several previous changes seem to have gotten lost due to an unknown reason before the release (probably had the file open in two hex editors), these are added again :
-Reapplied : Wizard's Guild now correctly displays the amount of power as positive
-Reapplied : Evil Presence now correctly displays the amount of power as negative
-Reapplied : Weakness now reduces attack by 3.
-Reapplied : Maybe fixed bug “Flight” not raising movement to 3 if it was 1.5 or more.
-Reapplied : Endurace now grants +1 to defense on top of the 1 movement but costs more and is overland only. (this bonus is also applied from Endurance granted by Teleportation items)
-Fixed help text still showing 4 strength for Immolation.
-AI combat : Mana is no longer considered when calculating remaning total shots in army.
-AI combat decisions – Relative army strength : AI will now consider an enemy “overwhelmingly stronger” if they are 5x more powerful instead of 3x. This significantly reduces the chance of the AI running away when not absolutely necessary, as well as the AI considering the situation “hopeless” for spell selection in combat less often (which generally goes after direct damage spells and doesn't cast anything else).
-Fixed bug : Doom Bolt graphics appear at the wrong location when used by AI or Auto.
-AI is now more likely to prefer using Caster mana instead of shooting. It now requires 30+ ranged attack strength to have a 100% chance of shooting instead of 20+.
-AI will no longer ignore previously assigned roles of units when doing the second part of the assignment
-AI will remain idle with flying units if enemy army is at least “significantly stronger” instead of using melee. This effect seems to get overridden in some cases when something else forces units to attack anyway.
-Death units (mainly created undead) now gain the mentioned, but missing immunities (Poison, Illusions, Cold) as an actual ability.
-Fixed bug : Bard hero counts as Life unit and gains no exp.
-Animist's guilds now cost 240 to build, they are far too powerful to cost 160.

I've made it so that if an AI flying unit would use a melee attack, and it's at a disadvantage (enemy army is at least 2x stronger that the AI's), it'll instead stay idle. This only affects melee attacks, the unit will still use ranged attacks or magic.

However, something seems to still override this in cases, and I couldn't figure out what, the battles where that happened had nothing in common. Sprites guarding a node still attacked my great wyrms. Shadow demons still attacked my lv8, fully equipped, extremely powerful hero, despite the demon unit having only 1-2 remaining figures. Shadow demons in an enemy town correctly didn't attack my hero for the first 15-20 turns after running out of ammo, but when they were down to their last few hit points from my nukes, they suddenly attacked.
If anyone knows what causes this, please tell. (Technical detail : AI uses 0x99h as the action code for staying idle. If 0x99 is selected, it will skip the process of checking validity of target, and will set "no target" immediately. As an action, it does nothing, just skips the unit like 0 would. 0x99 is only set if the unit is flying, would use melee, and the total army strength of the AI is half or below the other army.)

Looks like I forgot to hit the post button, the 0.54 post is missing so here goes again.
Quote:0.54
-Surveyor : If a Dungeon and Corruption are both present, the display of the dungeon takes priority.
-If no city is present in combat, game will not add the city wall defense bonus to units standing inside the wall area.
-AI flying units will not remain idle if enemy has an ammo advantage even if they are significantly stronger.
-AI flying units will not remain idle if enemy has a fortress in battle.
-AI Attack Rating calculation : Life Steal now adds +100 to the score per figure instead of +60. (equivalent to 5 swords)
-AI Attack Rating calculation : Stoning Touch now adds +200 to the score per figure instead of +60. (equivalent to 10 swords)
-AI Attack Rating calculation : Death Touch now adds +200 to the score per figure instead of +60. (equivalent to 10 swords)
-AI Attack Rating calculation : Illusion now multiplies the rating by 3 instead of 5
-AI Attack Rating calculation : Illusion and Eldritch Weapon multiplier is now applied before adding points for touch attacks, as those do not benefit from ignoring armor.
-AI Raise Dead casting priority : “Not involved” units (those that are carried by ships) are no longer counted as potential targets.
-Raise Dead : “Not involved” units do not count into the check for spell validity, and cannot be selected as targets.
-AI Animate Dead casting priority : “Not involved” units (those that are carried by ships) are no longer counted as potential targets.
-Animate Dead : “Not involved” units do not count into the check for spell validity, and cannot be selected as targets.
-Paladin heroes now have Illusion immunity instead of Magic Immunity.
-Black Knight heroes now have Death Immunity instead of Magic Immunity.
-Paladin and Black Knight heores have 2 lower starting attack strength (meaning they now only have a +2 boost instead of the +4 others got)
-Fixed bug of “not involved” units always getting killed in battle even if their army is fleeing.
-As a side effect to the above, I expect lost naval battles near land to cause units carried to escape to the available land cell instead of dying on the ships.
-Fixed Barracks help text not showing up
-The Holy Bonus on the Bard hero now actually works. (level wasn't set to 1)
-The Chosen now has Holy Bonus. (level 1)
-The Chosen no longer has Missile Imunity.
-The Chosen no longer has the +4 starting health boost other heroes got.
-The Chosen now has a mana capacity level of 4 instead of 6, equivalent to the better spellcasting heroes, but 1 below the top tier ones.
-If you already have 9 units in the current army, it does not prevent the creation of zombies or raised undead. Instead, they leave the battle location as though they were fleeing.
-Dwarven Settlers now cost 50 more than the normal cost because Dwarven towns are very powerful : Building one at a spot with an ore will immediately yield double the normal bonus for an impressive boost of gold, power or production.
-Cloud of Shadow now costs 800 to research instead of 1600

where can i download the previous version caster 0.52 ?

(October 3rd, 2015, 04:42)Asfex Wrote: where can i download the previous version caster 0.52 ?
Nowhere, sorry. I don't keep the old versions. Why do you need it? I might have a file in my backups that contains what you look for, but it most likely won't be stable for playing.
0.52 in particular, contained several few bugs I fixed in 53 as far as I remember.

It's needed to determine bugfixes . do you have any previous version before 0.52?
I afraid the metod you make versions can create unpredictable new bugs,and the older versions can help to determine problem without remasternig all previous work.

(October 3rd, 2015, 10:25)Asfex Wrote: It's needed to determine bugfixes . do you have any previous version before 0.52?
I afraid the metod you make versions can create unpredictable new bugs,and the older versions can help to determine problem without remasternig all previous work.

I do have regular backups, but they aren't the actual release versions. I usually make a backup every day, sometimes even twice or three times.
If that's what you want, I can find you a file that's around 0.52, a day newer or older, but it might not be exactly the 0.52 that was uploaded.
If you tell me a date, I'll upload the exe I stored away that day.

Edit :
I have 4x 9/30 files, 3x 9/29, 3x 9/28, 1x 9/27, 3x 9/26, 2x 9/25, and the rest older or newer.
Based on the date of the post, you want one of the 9/29 files? I uploaded 0.52 that day.

This is the file dated 09/28 23:38, the last one I saved before the 0.52 release.
http://www.filedropper.com/wizards