As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

FTL - Faster Than Light

(October 14th, 2012, 17:15)T-hawk Wrote: Killer awesome run with the Crystal ship today. 5318 score, which is about as high as it can go without intentionally milking.
It does go higher. 5487 with the Kestrel B (Red-Tail). This ship is a BEAST, starting with the four lasers and a Mantis guy. Again I bought the teleporter in sector 1, which is how you start the snowball in this game.

I lucked into _two_ weapon reloaders (each 15% faster charge), which meant the four-laser salvo could charge and fire and whack enemy weapons before they charged to shoot, then on the next salvo whack the medbay, then teleport over for an easy cleanup. (Nothing but lasers is the simple and effective weapon build. Other weapons just don't work as well. Missiles run into defense drones and the bigger missiles are too slow. Beams are useless without lasers to drop the shield, and unnecessary if you can already drop the shield and whack the enemy weapons system; use more lasers instead for more reliability. Ion guns are useless against anything with 2+ shields, you need too many of them to outrace the ionizing recovery and then you have no room for actual damage. Bombs, at least fast-charging ones, can be okay, though watch the ammo usage.)

Halfway through I got a Scrap Recovery Arm for even more payout. I came one notch shy of literally maxing out the ship, missing only power level 8 on the drone system. For good measure I even unlocked the Mantis ship on this run, and finally picked up the "Astronomically Low Odds" achievement on the boss.

So I thought T-hawk had good luck with drops since I never seem to find anything good. Then last night I was going to try a run with the Osprey focused on its artillery beam when the game decided to throw all the best weapons in the game at me: glaive beam in sector 2, burst laser II in sector 3, and a preigniter in sector 6... needless to say, the artillery beam remained at level 1 and powered down for most of that game.

I have the same luck as anyone else. I just play too much, bending the law of large numbers in my favor. You just don't hear about the runs that restart after getting eaten by giant alien spiders, or that give up in sector 5 after never getting a defense drone and spending all the money on repairs instead of shield upgrades, or that win with an average score like 4000 using standard tactics and no noteworthy weapons. smile

Well, my one great stroke of luck was unlocking the crystal ship. The ftlgame.com forums are full of complaints about that process, but all the steps just happened in the right order for me without any specific trying.

And yup, the artillery beam ship does the same thing to me all the time. Plan for a defensive build where the arty beam does the killing, and that's the best way to get the game to give you all the best weapons or a teleporter and two Mantises. lol

(October 18th, 2012, 12:52)T-hawk Wrote: I have the same luck as anyone else. I just play too much, bending the law of large numbers in my favor. You just don't hear about the runs that restart after getting eaten by giant alien spiders, or that give up in sector 5 after never getting a defense drone and spending all the money on repairs instead of shield upgrades, or that win with an average score like 4000 using standard tactics and no noteworthy weapons. smile

Well, my one great stroke of luck was unlocking the crystal ship. The ftlgame.com forums are full of complaints about that process, but all the steps just happened in the right order for me without any specific trying.

And yup, the artillery beam ship does the same thing to me all the time. Plan for a defensive build where the arty beam does the killing, and that's the best way to get the game to give you all the best weapons or a teleporter and two Mantises. lol

Would you be willing to put some of your runs on youtube?
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

So am I the only one really unlucky with obtaining ships? I've only got the stealth ship, the engi ship and the one you get for beating the game. I haven't even seen one other ship quest after lots of playthroughs.

(October 21st, 2012, 09:12)Sciz Wrote: So am I the only one really unlucky with obtaining ships? I've only got the stealth ship, the engi ship and the one you get for beating the game. I haven't even seen one other ship quest after lots of playthroughs.

Some of the ships have in-game requirements to be eligible to get them, such as "have X component when you meet" or "Y crewmember" or some such.

The info's here, but I'm not going to lay it out in this thread in case someone does want to explore in-game for themselves: http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

(October 21st, 2012, 09:22)Cyneheard Wrote:
(October 21st, 2012, 09:12)Sciz Wrote: So am I the only one really unlucky with obtaining ships? I've only got the stealth ship, the engi ship and the one you get for beating the game. I haven't even seen one other ship quest after lots of playthroughs.

Some of the ships have in-game requirements to be eligible to get them.

The info's here, but I'm not going to lay it out in this thread in case someone doesn't want to explore for themselves: http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

Yeah after a lot of time and no ships i actually checked the guides out and have tried to get several ships many times but not even been close

sigh

(October 18th, 2012, 20:04)antisocialmunky Wrote: Would you be willing to put some of your runs on youtube?
I wasn't planning to, since my plays are really slow and micromanagey and take well over 2 hours. And unlike Jamestown and FF5, I'm not really doing anything that anybody else hasn't done.

Until this happened. Since folks here seem to like it when I break games...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNVmbfb6Wrg

Wow! T-Hawk! I'm impressed!

(October 21st, 2012, 22:05)dazedroyalty Wrote: Wow! T-Hawk! I'm impressed!

More reason to go for finding the lowest score win smile
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”