As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Poll: Map K1 (ss shown) or K5 (Krill's new one)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
K1
0%
0 0%
K5
81.25%
13 81.25%
Either
18.75%
3 18.75%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Pitboss 8

It really depends on what gets rolled. Letme put it this way: I love islands, even if they're suboptimal. By all means, dump me in "Australlia". The B&S smallest continent isn't always the worst, in fact. We've still yet to get a roller volunteer, by the way...really, just rolling ten or so ought to get a good one or two in there, just need about ten minutes to do it.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

While not playing in this game, I want to echo the sentiments of Scooter, Commodore and the others who also played in PB5. I think you can basically sum it up as a turn split.

So when you declare, you either moved before the person you declared on or after. So for future turns, also move either before or after them.

When it is not your "turn", IT IS NOT YOUR TURN. So you can log in to look around, but don't make any moves. Does that sound about right?

The "Australia" start would be OK if not for two things:

1) no luxuries without editing
2) The mod makes it weaker for a variety of reasons

why are we opposed to map editing?
some ideas:

1. a fractal/pangea in the center with scattered islands (either reachable pre-astronomy or not) on both sides
2. continents, teams evenly split, with scattered islands between them on both sides. this would just about ensure everybody has a chance to reach them
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

I'm actually fine with some map editing if we can get a volunteer (Krill? his post early in the thread seemed like he would). We'd just like to avoid as much as we can as we're not really looking for balanced here either... It's just hard to draw the line on where to stop editing.

(October 26th, 2012, 14:21)Bigger Wrote: why are we opposed to map editing?

Well...I'll volunteer to roll a map, but I won't volunteer to roll and edit one. So there's that smile. Assuming I don't need RBMod installed to make a map.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Plako mentioned he's pretty against more than the most minimal of edits, and I can dig that. It's all about trying to make the best out of what the RNG hands you in this kinda game-type.

(October 26th, 2012, 14:34)Mardoc Wrote:
(October 26th, 2012, 14:21)Bigger Wrote: why are we opposed to map editing?

Well...I'll volunteer to roll a map, but I won't volunteer to roll and edit one. So there's that smile. Assuming I don't need RBMod installed to make a map.

Thanks Mardoc!

(October 26th, 2012, 14:18)scooter Wrote: Part of the problem was we got a really fluky roll for PB5. We got two big continents connected by galley, which is not the way B&S is supposed to work. B&S very frequently has one big blob on the left and a bunch of scattered islands on the right, and there will be 1-2 civs on those scattered islands. It's going to be pretty hard to recreate something similar to PB5 without some map editing.

Also, it's pretty uncommon for there to be islands all around the continents like there were in PB5 too. Often they're just on one side.

That's mostly a setting thing (Islands mixed in). I think B&S will give you good results with some minor oversight.

Plus, just look at how well dooteroy did in PB5, and how fun it was for everyone, and that was with the whole lack of luxuries. Personally I wouldn't even want to prevent people from spawning in non-isolated islands, as long as they aren't also screwed for resources.

(October 26th, 2012, 14:35)SevenSpirits Wrote:
(October 26th, 2012, 14:18)scooter Wrote: Part of the problem was we got a really fluky roll for PB5. We got two big continents connected by galley, which is not the way B&S is supposed to work. B&S very frequently has one big blob on the left and a bunch of scattered islands on the right, and there will be 1-2 civs on those scattered islands. It's going to be pretty hard to recreate something similar to PB5 without some map editing.

Also, it's pretty uncommon for there to be islands all around the continents like there were in PB5 too. Often they're just on one side.

That's mostly a setting thing (Islands mixed in). I think B&S will give you good results with some minor oversight.

Plus, just look at how well dooteroy did in PB5, and how fun it was for everyone, and that was with the whole lack of luxuries. Personally I wouldn't even want to prevent people from spawning in non-isolated islands, as long as they aren't also screwed for resources.

I'm fine with keeping them in the islands with some minor luxury additions. It's just hard to quantify what the exact rule should be so that a mapmaker role is "minor editing" and not "balancing"...