As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Poll posted

Has Cal posted his civ's password in his thread?

Also, if anyone has not done this previously, please edit your password into your second post just in case your civ (or mine) is the one to hold up the game in the future. My password is posted in my thread.

I am sorry for holding up the game today. Thank you for your patience, everyone.

My pw is, and was, in my thread - but I guess no lurkers were comfortable about logging in on my behalf when I didn't ask for it specifically.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Game just crashed to desktop. I will try again in about 15 mins.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

So I'm living the plot of Terminal with Tom Hanks (except for the part with not having a home country and all that) so I won't have access to the game for about 28 hours. If some good samaritan lurker could play a turn or two, I'd be really grateful. I'll post instructions in my thread if someone volunteers. If not, it'd be a pretty big bummer for me.

Cheers! And airlines are the devil!

Sure. Just move the Quecha stack out of the fog into [REDACTED], right?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Scooter hasn't played his turn, and there has been no pause request and it's under 1 hour to play.

Based on the current poll results, there are 22 entries for "Let it roll!" and 18 entries for "Pause with 1h left and get a lurker to play turn ASAP". I did not check to see which of those entries were actually PB18 players (Old Harry, I presume that you're checking that when reporting the results), but should we let the turn roll in this case in lieu of a final decision?

I fully support letting it roll. Especially as I just saw Scooter log in.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

Scooter played. I summarized the poll results as of now in the poll thread, it looks like 27 of 33 players have voted.

In the interest of not railroading the minority, a rule granting a short time-limited pause along the lines of plako's suggestion might be wise.

(April 22nd, 2014, 05:22)plako Wrote: Concerning pauses, I suggest procedures like this:

Pause requested - Shorter than 24h should always be ok. More than 24h case-by-case analysis needed.

Not requested - Pause could be done by other players when there is less than 30 mins in the clock and resumed when ~12h after the pause has passed. Pause is not automatic, if no one is around and capable then the turn rolls and there won't be reload because of missing the turn. If there would be 2nd turn without the player activity, game would be paused undetermined time until the situation is somehow sorted out.
I have to run.

Okay, results are in and poll is closed. I made a few assumptions:

- While Commodore's vote should probably count three or four times for all the civs he's playing in addition to the lurker civ I've left him on one so no-one throws a hissy-fit
- Brick and Mardoc both voted, but for different stuff, so I guess that'll be fine
- Caledorn, Oxy/BaII and TBS didn't vote, so they'll be happy with whatever we come up with
- Asdfion and Lord Parkin's votes have been disregarded as they aren't nearly as funny as they should have been

For a <24h pause request allowing the pause is obvious with 28 votes (although if you can get a lurker to play for you please do).

For a >24 pause request "Get a Lurker To Play" (21 votes) just pips "A case-by-case analysis" (19 votes). I think this means that once the game gets more complex we'll need to revisit this, but for now if you're going to be away leave instructions. (I also think that public holidays like Easter and Christmas are obviously exempt, but it'll be a while before that's an issue again.)

The contentious issue - Pause not requested - "Let it roll" (21 votes) beats "Pause and get Lurker to play" (16 votes). So unless we've got five people who want to withdraw their "Let it roll" vote then we're going to be draconian from now on whip. Does someone from the "Pause and get lurker to play" camp want to put their case to try and convince the rollers?

Next what to do if the Player doesn't come back for the next turn - "Pause for a replacement" (21 votes) again beats "Ask Commodore to play yet another civ until they return" (16 votes).

Finally Reloads for a missed turn will "Only happen if you asked for a pause" (19 votes), again "case-by-case basis" was close (15 votes) but in this case there is no grey area that means we need to come back to it later. Note: this doesn't say anything for mis-clicks or bugs, which the admins will deal with.

TL/DR: Make sure your password is in your thread.