As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

FFH PBEM3?

Quote:Sounds like Irgy's convinced a majority that Basium should be AI and Hyborem human if possible, which was our last area of contention.

I think by that you mean "Basium and summoner should be one AI/one human". It doesn't sound like any of you would be planning to switch... but you don't want to legislate it out of the rules by accident and leave someone who was intending to do that in an awkward position as far as revealing their plans.

Selrahc Wrote:I think by that you mean "Basium and summoner should be one AI/one human". It doesn't sound like any of you would be planning to switch... but you don't want to legislate it out of the rules by accident and leave someone who was intending to do that in an awkward position as far as revealing their plans.

What he said.

Which makes me wonder by the way, if someone wants to switch to Hyboream, I'd assume Sciz would take over their civ? If that's the case it kind of screws with the whole pre-summoning infernal contact idea. I'd still prefer overall to allow both pre-summoning contact and switching anyway mind you, just raising the issue.

I've started a thread over in the Civ General forum to see if we can get a map maker.

I think it would be for the best if the map is pre-examined and balance fixed before we play.

Selrahc Wrote:I think by that you mean "Basium and summoner should be one AI/one human". It doesn't sound like any of you would be planning to switch... but you don't want to legislate it out of the rules by accident and leave someone who was intending to do that in an awkward position as far as revealing their plans.

If someone wants to summon Basium/the Infernals and then switch to the summoned civ, I'm ok with it.

I'm not fussed either way about pre-summoning contact with Sciz. However, that makes another issue come to my mind: if Sciz were to take over the summoning civ, should he inherit that civ's memory (i.e. spoiler info) in that case, as well? While I'm uncertain here, as well, I think we should settle this question before anyone gets near Infernal Pact.

On the map issue: in case we don't find a volunteer for mapmaking in time, I strongly prefer a "natural" map of a mirrored one: first, this makes exploration more interesting than essentially knowing the whole map after knowing 1/6 of it. Second, other than in BTS, even an exactly mirrored map is not necessarily a balanced map in FFH. A start that is perfect for the Ljosalfar (lots of forests) or the Lanun (enough coast for 3 or even 4 Pirate Coves in the capital) could be abysmal for everyone else, for instance.

On how long we should wait for a mapmaker until we just start blindly, I'll just throw out a random suggestion: what about waiting until somewhen on Saturday for somebody to commit?

Nyktorion Wrote:I'm not fussed either way about pre-summoning contact with Sciz. However, that makes another issue come to my mind: if Sciz were to take over the summoning civ, should he inherit that civ's memory (i.e. spoiler info) in that case, as well? While I'm uncertain here, as well, I think we should settle this question before anyone gets near Infernal Pact.
I can't think how he'd play without knowing what's up in the civ; I'd be inclined to say the spoiler thread for the civ that summoned him becomes his if he takes them over, while the summoner would need to make a new one. Of course, if he's summoned to be Hyborem, then all he knows is what he sees and is told.

Nyktorion Wrote:On how long we should wait for a mapmaker until we just start blindly, I'll just throw out a random suggestion: what about waiting until somewhen on Saturday for somebody to commit?
I would give it at least until the end of the weekend; that's when people are most likely to have the available time. If we're lucky, someone will see Thoth's thread and jump right in, though.

Someone ought to attempt to answer the more technical questions of how to make sure Hyborem can be taken over if summoned; I'll give it a whack, since I've been meaning to learn Worldbuilder and mapmaking anyway, but since I haven't done it before, I'd appreciate if someone else tries too.

If we are stuck with a random map and no-one to check it, we can always rely on the honor system to regenerate a map with one of the big 3 in someone's BFC. They'll know on their first turn - although it will still waste a fair bit of time for everyone.

Make it clear that it's a fairly low-effort bit of map making (they're really just checking it over, not building one in worldbuilder or something) and I'd expect we should get a volunteer though.

Quote:I can't think how he'd play without knowing what's up in the civ; I'd be inclined to say the spoiler thread for the civ that summoned him becomes his if he takes them over, while the summoner would need to make a new one. Of course, if he's summoned to be Hyborem, then all he knows is what he sees and is told.

That seems reasonable.

Quote:Someone ought to attempt to answer the more technical questions of how to make sure Hyborem can be taken over if summoned; I'll give it a whack, since I've been meaning to learn Worldbuilder and mapmaking anyway, but since I haven't done it before, I'd appreciate if someone else tries too.

It would be nice to know for certain one way or the other before we start. There's not much point in beelining for Hyborem if the mechanics aren't going to work. wink

Ughhh i was waiting for a new FFH PBEM for so long and then my internet goes down while everyone organises one. I am not amused. Oh well. Anyone still after a exclusive lurker or anything?

Ravus,

Ye're welcome aboard with me Lanun! If'n ye can tolerate me bad piratey lingo! lol I think I've demonstrated with PBEM 11 that I keep a detailed thread smile

Alternately, we might be able to squeeze in a 7th (I'd be ok with that, but I'm only one vote), or I suspect the FFH4 crew would be happy to have a sixth. Neither game has started yet.