As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

http://www.youtube.com/user/51ppycup for tutorials. If you are interested in a SG, its best you build your first fort and watch it get horribly crushed by something hilarious.
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

I'll pass on this first SG though, i just flooded my own fortress (heh). Will be very interested in this!

I have yet to do that but since I'm building rock hammer powered by magma, it may not end well.

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

I'm so n00b that I'm not so much coloured green as made of it, so I'll lurk this.

I downloaded the game last night and a tutorial recommended by the wiki. And I'll probably play tomorrow.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Jkaen Wrote:Ok, so I have the following, is this correct?:
<snip>
I'd say yes. My suggestion is to maybe raise children cap from 0 to 30 ( again, anything below 80 dwarves total means no king ) but no other qualms.

And also to clarify, all those world generation options don't impact the performance of the game. They only influence how long world generation will last and how easy will it be to find a site later. If you have a computer for that roll :
Quote:World Settings
World size: Large
History: Short
Number of Civilizations : Low
Sites: Medium
Beasts: Low
Savagery: Low
Mineral occurance: Frequent
This should give us much more nice destinations to choose from later.

Much more important question is

Can everyone run 5x5 embark square?

And after that :

Anvil - yes/no?

Which will influence other choices like

Dwarves - high or low skilled?

And

How do we feed ourselves - fishing/hunting/farming or cat herding?
What do we drink early on - water/booze?
What's our first industry to buy stuff in Autumn - stonecrafting/woodcrafting/bonecrafting/clothing/booze/food?

Quote:Can everyone run 5x5 embark square?
Only tried the default 4x4, but it shouldnt be an issue

Quote:Anvil - yes/no?
That mean take an anvil as part of the initial kit? based on my first game I would say its possible to wait till the first caravan

Quote:Dwarves - high or low skilled?
I used a default pack, not sure how you choose that, but I would say few high skilled
Quote:How do we feed ourselves - fishing/hunting/farming or cat herding?
I would say farming and chicken/eggs, can cover fishing and hunting from people joining us later

Quote:What do we drink early on - water/booze?
Call yourself a dwarf! Booze obviously!

Quote:What's our first industry to buy stuff in Autumn - stonecrafting/woodcrafting/bonecrafting/clothing/booze/food?
Do you mean what we get our cash from, or what we buy?
Is it not maybe easiest to make money from gemcutting?

Amelia Wrote:I'll pass on this first SG though, i just flooded my own fortress (heh). Will be very interested in this!

That's part of the Fun.wink

(I've flooded my last two fortresses...)

Jkaen Wrote:Call yourself a dwarf! Booze obviously!

And of course you quaff it, not drink it. Is Mist *shudder* a female?
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The biggest lag is 200+ dwarves trying to path at the same time and the calculation for their clothes age.

Amelia Wrote:I'll pass on this first SG though, i just flooded my own fortress (heh). Will be very interested in this!

I did that intentionally once 'cause I was tired and screwed up my build.

Also, I recommend using these:
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php (sprite pack!)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39229.0 (manage hordes of dwarves!)