As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

They fixed that. Now its capybara (randomly so, they usually go down fine but I've had them rip the limbs off my dwarves and punt them off cliffs) and badgers.
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

Let's start with Dwarves.

Medic/Bookworm/Beancounter
[Image: dwarf_Jkaen.png]
Unfortunately game does assign initial expedition leadership somewhat randomly, and he didn't get it. This will result in mild annoyance when discussing import/export deals, but we can live with that.

Miner
[Image: dwarf_Thermos.png]
Straight no-nonsense. He will improve skill fast, while digging. Skill level influences speed of excavations and amount of stone left behind. I sometimes start miner with no skill when expecting to dig a lot of sand and not pressed for time or stone. But here we will want to feed the Stonecrafter early and with as much as possible.

Money-spinner ( Stonecrafter )
[Image: dwarf_Pling.png]
Preference for crossbow bolts and balista parts pretty much sold the name lol Also no-nonsense, skill level as high as possible to cut down on low quality merchandise, no hobbies.

Mr DIY
[Image: dwarf_handyman.png]
Absolute minimum in all of above. Most of this stuff just has to be done with quality not being a concern and if we want him to engrave, smoothing floors is a quick and sure way to train the skill.

Food Processing Guy
[Image: dwarf_brewer.png]
We are not going to sell food or booze, at least initially, so it's enough for him just to know the basics. Actually I should have probably given him no skills whatsoever, but meh, 6 more turtles won't save us.

Farm Girl
[Image: dwarf_farmgirl.png]
Da Boss
[Image: dwarf_daboss.png]
Both made the same way. Planting skill directly influences chance of getting multiple crops from one seed, we want to hit that stage ASAP. Herbalism is for gathering plants in early spring while our farms are being dug. This will not be relevant as far as feeding us goes, but will ultimately provide us with a cache of surface seeds to plant, thus enhancing variety of booze in our stocks. Thus they don't really need to be efficient at it.

I'm a (very fat) lady!

What is the theory behind having 2 people with social skils trained, wont it just be me trading with outsiders?

Did we not need somebody with a point in architect also?

Jkaen Wrote:I'm a (very fat) lady!
lol First noble we have, goes to you as the game initiator. Gender can't be guaranteed wink
Jkaen Wrote:What is the theory behind having 2 people with social skils trained, wont it just be me trading with outsiders?
No theory. I was slightly late with pausing the game, and they managed to talk smoke
Jkaen Wrote:Did we not need somebody with a point in architect also?
Mr DIY is an architect ( the skill is called Building Designer )

Ahh, fair enough, it all makes sense smile

Now the map.

Minimap looks like this

[Image: map_minimap.png]

We start middlish, slightly to the north on level Z+1 if we take river as defining the Z. Main cliff is to the east, its mainly chalk with 10 tiles ( or thereabouts ) outer layer of soil ( sandy loam and sandy clay, meaning we can consider long term pottery ). The wagon is some distance from both the cliff and the river.

There's no standalone hills/mounds that could be sculpted into a fortress/gate.

There's a lot of trees. And I mean a lot. I expect there will be no depot access possible without heavy logging operation. I'm actually inclined to dig out an undersurface road to the edge of the map once we figure out where are the merchants ( dwarves and humans ) arriving from.

Whole map is covered in snow, which is a bummer. Wet moats are out of the window, we'll have to dig dry ditches for protection. No surface farming/plant gathering in winter.

There's plenty of lakes. Actually our wagon sits right on top of a frozen one. I'll have to evacuate everything before spring hits and water melts. I absolutely hate the prospect. Might be easier just to dig out the ice rolleye

Visible ores : lignite ( low quality coal ), haematite ( Iron veins ), magnetite ( iron cluster ), gypsum, native platinum (!) and some low value gems. Having guaranteed flux ( possibly marble given all the chalk ) we can seriously consider steel in the future.

Animals are represented by a pack of wild boars and a single fox, nothing we need to be concerned about.

Quote:Also I assume you build fortresses on a layer pder function approach, or do you keep it all on 1 or 2 layers?
I build fortresses depending on local conditions, generally preferring to utilise terrain features and hollow out cliffs/hills for the purpose. I rarely go to Z- levels unless given no choice, and always dig out a separate temporary habitation before starting to work on a permanent design.

Whats the reason for avoiding z- ?

Also the ores selection we have look very nice!

Hollowing cliffs upwards gives plenty opportunities to force your dwarves outside ( or at least install windows, glass walls and glass ceilings ) therefore preventing eventual Sun-sickness. And I hate it when I accidentally hit caves or chasm while digging out residential areas which always seems to happen to me if I grow the fortress downwards wink

Mist Wrote:Money-spinner ( Stonecrafter )
[Image: dwarf_Pling.png]
Preference for crossbow bolts and balista parts pretty much sold the name lol

Not the bit about needing the booze, after my early morning (for me) discussion of what I like to drink? lol
...wounding her only makes her more dangerous! nono -- haphazard1
It's More Fun to be Jack of All Trades than Master of One.

All dwarves need booze, this particular one is no exception lol

I've gotten through spring.

[Image: spring_fortress.png]

Temporary living hole as on the picture. Beds, tables, chairs and bins are manufactured full time. I decided to cook all the meat we brought into simple meals to free the barrels. I started a quarry nearby to get some stone for the crafter. We lost one hen that decided to wander off and talk to the boar lol In other less important news I reassigned Jkaen to be Da Boss shhh