As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

So more fortress building I presume for the year and start work on military + more complex production paths? I never quite got the hang of setting up leather production.

For leather you need a pair of breedable animals, then slaughter the new adult ones =)

You need a butcher, a tannery, and a leatherworker. You also need an animal that is good (horses are common, sheep can be sheared... these two don't eat a lot as well). Do not get elephants, the elephants can't eat enough to sustain themselves and will eventually die of hunger (heh).

Ok, got the save and had a bit of a look around, first this is what the burrow looks like in pretty iso view

[Image: Burrow%20Stonesense.jpg]

Then had a bit of an explore. Fortress Hill is unfortunately just a hill of about 2 levels and seems to be mainly soil, so not quite the towering edifice I had hoped for.

1 season in so far, and have done very little. Yet to break the ground at Fortress Hill, have built half a wall so far, extended the ditch round the Barrow a bit more, and have taken it through a frozen pond, so when that thaws we may have a wet ditch.

I have also squared off the Barrow a bit to make it a bit more dwarfy

Ok, here is the plan for Y2:

Infrastructure
- Wall off both sides of the gap between Barrow and Fortress
- Try to ditch most of the outside of the walled area
- Tidy up the outside of the Barrow, i.e. ramp access from inside the walls only.

Farming - Leave in Barrow

Barracks - Picked out 6 people who are not that useful atm, and they will form Squad Werewolf (already named the dwarves). Barracks to be formed ground level in Fortress

Current Industry - Leave in Barrow

Metal Industry - Set up in Z-1 of Fortress (Charcoal/Wood based)

Living Quarters - Set up in Z+1 of Fortress

My Office - Set up in Z+1 of Barrow

Ok, ticking along on this and have reached autumn. Will stop once I reach winter, then start to write all this up.

But as a cliffhanger, are you the 1 dead dwarf I have?

Interesting to see a DF game going on here, I'd sign up to run the fortress except that for some reason in the later versions of the game the keys get "stuck" and I'm not really sure what to do to fix it/have too much to do to spend hours troubleshooting the problem.

At the very least feel free to assign me to be a dwarf on the fortress. I'd prefer being a hunter, farmer, brewer, butcher, or some combination of the above smile

Will see what we can do but:

Hunter - We have one, but he works his off job as there doesn't seem to be anything to hunt
Farmer - Have F&I and Illios as our only 2 'real' farmers who also cook and brew
Butcher - Set up the buildings, but dont have anything to bucher yet

Jkaen Wrote:Farmer - Have F&I and Illios as our only 2 'real' farmers who also cook and brew

Hm, I never had an issue with just 1 dedicated farmer. Once they're badass enough they can easily plant a 6x6 grid, and that's way more food than you need for a while.

At least my giant stockpiles of food seem to think so. Gotta cook these damn mushrooms faster...

ALSO cook and brew

I call the Beer or whatever alcohol your dwarves are drowning themselves in

fire&ice' Wrote:ALSO cook and brew

I call the Beer or whatever alcohol your dwarves are drowning themselves in

Yeah, which is a temporary measure until you get a dedicated brewer and chef imo.

I dunno, maybe I'm just infatuated with each dwarf doing primarily only 1 thing, and I split the brewer with a woodcutter for my embark team. Don't really need cooking early.