As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS]Luddite: A Man, A Plan, An Also-Ran

Wow floodplains galore, gold AND gems! The tech pace is going to be blistering fast. Speaking of, what's next on tech, pottery/AH?

Yeah, the fast tech pace is the only reason I'm able to get away with having mysticism/fishing to start, and getting early meditation. I probably won't even work the gold or gems for a while, with those flood plains available, but it's just nice to have the happiness.

Next is wheel, then pottery. Since I'm founding the next city 1N of the oasis I won't need to work the cows for a while.

So uh... as far as I can tell, the north is all desert. That whole river is just freshwater desert, no flood plains. You sure this wasn't supposed to be a FfH map, Mist? crazyeye
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0425.jpg]

Finished wheat farm, and I'm the first person to grow to size 2. I guess everyone else must be doing an opening that involves bronze working, and opening worker-worker or worker-settler. That'll be tough for AT though, with his starting techs, and there just isn't much forest on this map. Unfortunately I'll be stuck working an unimproved tile for a few turns.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0426.jpg]

Hmm, nevermind, AT and Sian just went up in population this turn. The only way I can think of for that to happen is if they decided to start by cottaging their flood plains and growing onto that. That would also explain why the Rival Best GNP is so high.

Here I am working an unimproved tile and wasting a worker turn... not my best opening. Hopefully this pays off in the long run.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0427.jpg]

You are moving too fast for me to help at all.

Did you consider doing a settler for a couple turns at size 1 rather than growing and then growing only in time to match the completion of the corn farm?
Completed: SG2-Wonders or Else!; SG3-Monarch Can't Hold Me; WW3-Surviving Wolf; PBEM3-Replacement for Timmy of Khmer; PBEM11-Screwed Up Huayna Capac of Zulu; PBEM19-GES, Roland & Friends (Mansa of Egypt); SG4-Immortality Scares Me

Yeah, I did consider that, but this way gets the settler out on the same turn. And I have 9 hammers into a warrior, too.

Got another turn! Here's my tentative (and horribly drawn) dotmap for now. Notice the scores: AT and Sian grew to size 3, while Scooter is still size 1.
[Image: 36dotmap.jpg]

#1 gets me gems, oasis, and 5 flood plains. It can also work 3 hills for production, or help develop plains cottages for the capital
#2 gets me gold and more flood plains, although it'll be a little weak later in the game
#3 gets me deer, wine, and some grass river with plains hill city tile.

Doing it that way I don't get the sheep though, and I don't think it's worth planting a city in the east just for sheep. Maybe it would be better to plant #3 3E instead, basically trading the plains hill for sheep.

for 3, the PFH city spot, and being riverside outweighs founding on the spot SE of the corn, which would also pick up the sheep? or can you fit another city in there?
--
Best dating advice on RB: When you can't hide your unit, go in fast and hard. -- Sullla

3E, without doing the math, seems better.
Completed: SG2-Wonders or Else!; SG3-Monarch Can't Hold Me; WW3-Surviving Wolf; PBEM3-Replacement for Timmy of Khmer; PBEM11-Screwed Up Huayna Capac of Zulu; PBEM19-GES, Roland & Friends (Mansa of Egypt); SG4-Immortality Scares Me