As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

(December 2nd, 2012, 19:43)Tasunke Wrote: I'd like to be chief medical dwarf if possible ^_^

Edit: nevermind. So I'm the jeweler?

Due to the fortress' current lack of demand for jewellers, you're arsonist furnace operator.

(December 2nd, 2012, 15:21)uberfish Wrote:
(December 2nd, 2012, 15:09)Brian Shanahan Wrote: So I probably get the job of negotiating with caravans? Oh, and get me some bones. Carvings make lovely decorations.

You actually collect a bunch of your own bones since you're also a hunter. And then use them to make bolts. Uberfish also has appraiser skill so still has the broker job.

Aah, didn't realise on the appraiser skill would be part of negotiating as well.

Re using my own bones, what happens when I've dug them all out?tongue
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

It has been known for dwarves to murder other dwarves for their bones to make an artifact :D

(December 3rd, 2012, 07:05)uberfish Wrote: It has been known for dwarves to murder other dwarves for their bones to make an artifact :D

I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that axes cut more than wood so no poncy crafty dwarves should get any ideas nono ...
...wounding her only makes her more dangerous! nono -- haphazard1
It's More Fun to be Jack of All Trades than Master of One.

(December 3rd, 2012, 06:28)Ichabod Wrote: Ok, now that the weekend is over, I have a lot more time for this (which I'll need, since I don't have the slightest idea about what i'm doing). Consider this a got it, if no one has an objection.

No objections. Go for it! smile

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Ok, so I've started playing. Mostly looked at the menus and tried to figure out what was happening (without much success lol). Some questions:

1. What must I watch so as to not let the fort die? I mean, what are the most important things to watch out for.

2. Where do I see the date?

3. Where are the stairs to the lower levels? I couldn't find them.

4. How do I switch between levels? I only managed to see the F1 and F2 levels.

5. There's a group of 3 snail man approaching from west. Should I be worried?

EDIT: By the way, I'm thinking about doing the dwarves individual rooms. What size should they be and what should I put in them to make the dwarves happy? I'm thinking of continuing that corridor that leads to the farm and the communal room and make the bedrooms there. Is it a good placement?

My inexpert responmses.

1. I think most likely deaths initially will be you letting the fort starve or dry out, or by invasion

2. I forget

3. they are in the courtyard just beyond the drawbridge, easiest to see on the next level down

4. up and down is < and >

5. If everybody is inside you can draw the drawbridge up. not sure if dogs can handle them or not

6. Rooms need a bed. if you are keeping it to 25 dwarves then I would say a 5x3 room each should be plenty once polished, cabinets, chest etc etc are added.

(December 4th, 2012, 09:15)Ichabod Wrote: Ok, so I've started playing. Mostly looked at the menus and tried to figure out what was happening (without much success lol). Some questions:

1. What must I watch so as to not let the fort die? I mean, what are the most important things to watch out for.

EDIT: By the way, I'm thinking about doing the dwarves individual rooms. What size should they be and what should I put in them to make the dwarves happy? I'm thinking of continuing that corridor that leads to the farm and the communal room and make the bedrooms there. Is it a good placement?

1) Hostile creatures

2) on the Z screen

3) next to the trade depot

4) > goes down and < up

5) not really, snail men are mostly harmless, and might not be hostile anyway

6) rooms as small as 3x1 can work but I'd make larger ones as we have a relatively small population at the moment. 3x3 or larger maybe. Build the rooms on the lower levels because dwarves will be happier with stone rooms that can be engraved later - for example you could dig a new level below the F2 level for housing.

(December 4th, 2012, 09:15)Ichabod Wrote: Ok, so I've started playing. Mostly looked at the menus and tried to figure out what was happening (without much success lol). Some questions:

1.) We are probably safe from goblin invasions for this year. So starvation mostly. Hit "z" to see the drinks and food stocks.
2.) "z"
3.)
4.)
5.) not to worry, they should be more afraid of our dwarves.
6.) Individual rooms. 1x3 minimum to house a bed, a cabinet and a chest/bag. 2x2 for a bit more comfort. Larger room and better furniture make for happier dwarves.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

(December 3rd, 2012, 07:08)pling Wrote:
(December 3rd, 2012, 07:05)uberfish Wrote: It has been known for dwarves to murder other dwarves for their bones to make an artifact :D

I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that axes cut more than wood so no poncy crafty dwarves should get any ideas nono ...

Who said craftmanship was poncy. I'm a dwarf's dwarf I am. I quaff my beer with more spill per gallon than anyone else in my mineshaft. I know all the signs in the dark, I can h'alk my G'akha, I know all the H'ragna, I have completed the proper stages of the K'zakra, I follow the Kruk in both letter and spirit.

While I am not a deep down dwarf, having seen the light of the sun on many occasions, I cleave truly to the Teachings of Tak, especially as revealed to us by Board Monitor Vimes.

T'dr'duzk b'hazg t't!
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.