As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

I wish someone could cure Alzheimers. We so need moar of this.

(December 5th, 2012, 03:00)VM Wrote: I wish someone could cure Alzheimers. We so need moar of this.

er what

Terry Pratchett, the author of the discworld novels has Alzheimer. Brian's posts with the quaffing was referring to how dwarves are depicted in the discworld novels.

But, yes, VM, a rather cryptic post.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

(December 5th, 2012, 06:00)mostly_harmless Wrote: Terry Pratchett, the author of the discworld novels has Alzheimer. Brian's posts with the quaffing was referring to how dwarves are depicted in the discworld novels.

But, yes, VM, a rather cryptic post.

mh

The only part of that post not Discworld related was the "dwarf's dwarf" bit. I think Carrot was the only dwarf in the books that needed to proove his dwarfishness (by virtue of being human).
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Sorry for taking so long to play my turnset, but I'm proceeding really slowly. There's so much I don't know...

We received some more immigrants after some time (they appeared and I didn't see any way to stop them from joining us). We are up to 24 dwarves. Let's see:

[Image: Imigrants.jpg]

Here's some questions:

1. It appears that the new dwarves start working by themselves. Is it right? But if I want them to do something specific, how can I do that (like making the farmers only farm)? And if they don't have to do the functions I ordered them (let's say, all area was already farmed), will they do another job or will they stay useless?

2. Do I have to assign them a room? How do I do that?

One of the new immigrants was a diagnoser, so I made him chief medical dwarf:

[Image: Diagnoser.jpg]

Is this a good thing to do? Do I have to make him a doctor's office like Uberfish's office?

---

I'm planning the new dorm rooms. I asked the guys to dig and make a new pair of stairs. After that, I ordered the stone to be smoothed. We ended up digging Microcline:

[Image: Microcline.jpg]

1. Do the dwarves harvest this Microcline alone, what is it for?

2. Is this room layout good? (EDIT: I think the corridor is way larger than needed. That was mostly due to not knowing exactly how to make the dwarves dig and doing some testing. I think I can make it very narrow from now on, so as to save time).

3. I ordered a bed to be placed in one of the rooms and a door too. Now, we are out of doors and beds. How can I order people to make more?

---

Lots of questions, I know. But the game is really complex.

BTW, my Ichabod dwarf is throwing a party (with all the cats invited). Any commetns about that?

Ah, and we have a lot of puppies. What do I do with them?

EDIT:

(November 30th, 2012, 17:57)uberfish Wrote: Things we need to do

- Furnish the new dining room

What should I use to furnish the dining room? Each dwarf needs a chair in it?

Ooh, dwarf job wise use dwarf therapist that was linked earlier, you can easily set which dwarves to do which jobs

Nothing wrong with a wide corridor even if it isnt completely needed

You can assign rooms eventually once you have them all dug out. click 'q' and mouse over the bed and you can set it to a bedroom, you then have an option to assign a certain dwarf to it

Don't worry about the medic yet - we don't have any wounded so setting up a hospital isn't a priority. The office etc requirements are greyed out because the medic doesn't need an office.

The dining room just needs a few tables and chairs, doesn't need one for each dwarf

Puppies don't do anything until they grow into adults, at which point they can be trained from the Z animal screen

In order to build items, either Q the relevant workshop (Stone furniture is produced at the mason's workshop) or more conveniently go to the J -> M manager screen and issue production orders from there

literally any room layout will work for bedrooms so go with whatever is aesthetically pleasing to you. They will just pick a random room to sleep in unless you assign them manually Q-ing the bed and married couples will share beds.

Microcline's just a type of stone that happens to be light blue.

Dwarves will occasionally throw parties and get drunk. It's not something to be concerned about.

The dwarf therapist program lets you assign whom is allowed to do what job easily. The dwarves come in with "hauling" labour enabled which means that even if they're not doing anything they will move stuff into the designated stockpiles, install furniture and so on

There will be several migration waves over the year, depending on the wealth and the food stockpiles of the fortress (at least this is what the community has figured out). While getting new dwarves has its advantages (sometimes soldiers or highly skilled dwarves) it has its downsides as well. If your fortress is a well oiled machinery that caters for 10 dwarves and then a wave of 20 new dwarves hit you, things around the food stockpile can get hectic.

There is a parameter in the init_d file where you can limit your overall number of dwarves. It is not a hard cap as pregnancies can increase your population count above that cap and the first two waves are unaffected by that cap as well. Presumably the dwarven trade caravan has to make it back to the mountain home to tell people you don't want any immigrants or so.

Dwarves are assigned certain professions and labour activities. If a job is created you that requires for example masonry (say, construction of a wall) a dwarf with that labour enabled will go for it, if he has nothing more important to do, like sleeping, eating, drinking, taking a break, attending a party. Use the Dwarf Therapist to manage that! (make sure you "commit changes")

I normally assign the first completed individual bedrooms to the most valuable dwarves, to keep them happy.

Assigning the chief medical dwarf is good, as it add the health section to the "z" screen. Note that animals appear there as well, but are currently never treated.

You will get these messages whenever you hit a new or interesting material (like gems, metal). Microcline is nothing special, but can be used for aesthetic purposes, for example construction of a blue wall. I strongly recommend to have the DF wiki open at all time and searhc for every new thing you encounter. The Wiki is very good. (Make sure you read the DF2012 or 0.34.11 entries)

Since Uberfish has assigned a manager, you can comfortably order all things via the manager.

Parties are "annoying" as your dwarves stop working.

Puppies are good as they can be trained into war dogs once grown up. Kittens should be butchered (go to the "z" screen select the animal and assign it to be "b"utchered.).

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Oh hey, this started up again? Neato.

If only I had time....
MP
Pitboss Demo - Darrell's Tropical Trolls
PBEM45G - Sareln