As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

If cats are such pests then why did you embark with a pair to begin with?

Made quite some progress. I'll update tomorrow because I'm too tired right now. I tried to accomplish the objectives proposed by uberfish, but I'm not sure if I did things right. We'll see.

(December 5th, 2012, 21:01)NobleHelium Wrote: If cats are such pests then why did you embark with a pair to begin with?

Food? smile

(December 5th, 2012, 21:43)Tasunke Wrote:
(December 5th, 2012, 21:01)NobleHelium Wrote: If cats are such pests then why did you embark with a pair to begin with?

Food? smile

That's what I do.

Leave 2 out of the cage. Periodically sweep for kittens and haul them into a cage. Skin and cook for food and leather.
MP
Pitboss Demo - Darrell's Tropical Trolls
PBEM45G - Sareln

They embark with cats, because it is .... realistic? smile

Cats hunt down small vermin as well.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Yeah, the main purpose of cats is to kill vermin which would otherwise eat food and annoy dwarves. You only really need 2 cats for this but however they breed quickly and also attach themselves to dwarves of their own accord (at which point you can't kill them without making that dwarf unhappy). This can result in the fortress being overrun with cats which get in the way, and slow down the game.

Regarding cats: My stupid homonimous dwarf adopted two kittens, so I couldn't kill them. We also have some strange animals wandering around, like a horse and a reindeer (I think). I didn't know what to do with them, so I just let them stay. There's also a lot of puppies.

---

Right at the beggining of my playing session, Kylearan was possessed by a sudden urge. That made mt slightly worried with thoughts of psycophat dwarves.

[Image: Possession.jpg]

But it ended up being just a desire of building a special... well... door... Sikellam Ngarak Thukkan, the granite door.

[Image: Door.jpg]

[Image: Door%202.jpg]

I ended up placing the door as the door to Kylearan's bedroom, in the newly built dormitory area (1 level under the F2 level).

That leads me to another question:

1. I had already placed a door in Kylearan's bedroom, but I wanted to place the artifact door there. so I realized that the "q" and "t" commands could be used to remove placed items. That was also needed when I ended up placing 2 chests in some dwarf bedrooms, instead of a chest and a cabinet (I think I ordered more chests to be made than needed, even though I counted the number of needed rooms, I don't know what happened). But I realized that that after I gave the remove command, a dwarf would show up and just move the placed item one square, but still leave it there pestering the room. They didn't move the items back to the storage places. I also realized, in the door case, that I could place the removed door again in the map and a dwarf would do it. But is there a way that I can remove a placed item and move it to a storage easily?

---

I tried to start a military, as per Uberfish instructions, but that was a bit difficult. Here's what I managed:

[Image: Military%20training.jpg]

I wanted this to be the Marksdwarf squadron. I queued 10 dwarves here because the game said that 10 dwarves were needed for training. I tried to get the dwarves with the best Marksmanship in the Fortress. i also ordered some wooden crossbows and bolts to be made. I really doubt this is right, though.

---

Regarding other objectives, the bedrooms are almost ready. Only the stone polishing is taking a long time (and I still need to place a cabinet or two), so I ordered two newbie dwarves to also do it, besides Helium, our stone smoother. 2. Is this a good way to start training another dwarves in this function?

I ended up with more bedrooms thatn needed, because I failed to realize early enough that the married dwarves share a room. Speaking of married dwarves (this is the new bedroom area, by the way):

[Image: Birth.jpg]

This was the first. We have three babies now. I don't know how to manage birth control...

And I also furnished the dining room with thrones (I didn't want wooden chairs, so I made stone thrones) and tables (the cats are always in the top of the tables, damn things).

---

An elven caravan arrived and I took a long time to figure out how to talk with them. Finally, I managed to send Uberfish (our broker) there. I didn't see anything useful to buy (like gypsum plaster), only clothes and wooden weaponry, which felt like bad things.

---

Since we got 2 new farmer dwarves, I made our crops bigger, adding another 5x5 farming square and ordering it to produce plump helmets all year. It's together with the other farming area made by uber. I also tried to make a beekeeping industry, since we have a beekeeper dwarf. I ordered two wooden (or was it stone) hives to be produced, but the craftsdwarves didn't seem to go do it (even when I switched it to max priority at the manager). The order is still there, on lowest priority, if anyone wants to try and fix it (or help me fixing it). I was going to place the bees in a new room north of the old bedrooms.

---

Finally, two things happened when I paused the game to end the session.

First, a kobold thief is attacking a dwarf. 3. What should I do? He is attacking a fisher dwarf here.

[Image: Thief.jpg]

And the human caravan is soon to arrive. Anything I should order from them?

---

I'm a bit lost regarding how much time has passed since I stated playing. I had the elven caravan and now the human one, not sure how much time this means. I can keep playing, but if more experienced hands need to tackle this situation, no problem too. I also want to see how our better players want to improve our indistries, which was something I didn't do.

Thoughts.

I see you've figured out the furniture and what you've done with it is good. So is assigning new dwarves to smooth stone, they will learn as they go.

Although pretty lame as an artifact, I think artifact doors are indestructible and thus useful

Our 2nd farming plot should grow different crops since we have lots of plump helmets already. The random animals probably arrived with the immigrants. If you're not sure what to do with the horse just set it to be butchered from Z -> animals screen. Dwarves can't ride horses, so it is not very useful.

Dwarves will normally move uninstalled furniture such as your door back to a stockpile that accepts furniture. I suspect the reason it didn't is that we still have the same stockpile holding everything and it's now full.

In order to solve that problem, we should create a new storeroom with a new stockpile specifically for furniture near the mason's workshops on the F2 level. Once that's done, set the generic stockpile to stop accepting furniture. We can do the same thing for crafted trade goods made with Stonecrafting.

I find that military is totally incomprehensible without referring to the wiki. feel free to let MH sort it out. Thieves will usually just run away. If it doesn't then select the squad you made, order it to attack the thief and deactivate it afterwards.

(December 5th, 2012, 05:26)uberfish Wrote:
(December 5th, 2012, 03:00)VM Wrote: I wish someone could cure Alzheimers. We so need moar of this.

er what

I can tell by this point that you need to read more Terry Pratchett.

I managed to get some more time during my lunchbreak.

1. The thief went away. There was some warnings about another thief trying to steal a baby or something like that, but as far as I can tell, nothing bad happened. I tried sending some military units there, but didn't figure out how.

2. I made 4 new stockpiles near our workshops. 2 for furniture, one for stone and one for wood. I left the old wood and stone stockpiles activated, though, just restricted the big stocpíle from getting furniture. It made the dwarves move the badly placed furniture to the right place. The bedrooms are 95% ready, barring the polishing.

3. The big news that require an update. I tried exploring a bit more of the mountain, as per Uberfish post. So I started digging a level lower than the bedroom levels (and made some random channels in the F2 level).

After just a small digging time, this happened:

[Image: Cave.jpg]

We found some caves!

Here's what we could see:

[Image: Cave%202.jpg]

[Image: Cave%203.jpg]

And what the Announcement log tells us:

[Image: Mined.jpg]

After that, I dug a pathway to the southern cave, which led to this:

[Image: Cave%204.jpg]

And this announcements:

[Image: mined%202.jpg]

[Image: mined%203.jpg]

---

After that, I had to stop. Hopefully there are some valuable things here. Didn't have time to check the wiki yet.