As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

(December 6th, 2012, 11:35)Ichabod Wrote: I managed to get some more time during my lunchbreak.

1. The thief went away. There was some warnings about another thief trying to steal a baby or something like that, but as far as I can tell, nothing bad happened. I tried sending some military units there, but didn't figure out how.

How to send dudes to kill things (starts assuming you have no military):
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Attack

Do you have a training room setup? I hear danger rooms are really the only way to do this nowadays. Bunch of spike pits under trapdoors covering the training room, and a perpetual toggle on the trapdoors.

Looks like a lot of gems/precious metals in the caves. Good for mining and adding to random crap so you can sell it. Or if you want your dwarves to SPARKLE.

EDIT: what version are you guys running on? 34_11?
MP
Pitboss Demo - Darrell's Tropical Trolls
PBEM45G - Sareln

Well, only tetrahedrite and cassiterite, which gives copper and silver and tin. But with that we can make bronze, which is pretty good. Also silver is the best metal for blunt weapons.
The gems are mostly low value ones, but good for the gem-cuter to train on.

Careful though with the cavern! Who knows what creatures call it their home! smile

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Why is a danger room a good training room? Just seems like it'd send everydwarf into the hospital ....

(btw, I don't know about in DF, but I'd sure as hell get a small hospital room up and going before making any sort of 'danger room' ...)

I've never done it, but I assume it's the equivalent of those ninja training scenes in movies where there's a trap filled room and the ninjas have to dodge stuff.

Its a room full of weapon traps, but using wooden training weapons.
The traps get activated all the time (via various ways) and the dwarves caught, will train up their dodge and armor skills.
So you end up with legendary dodgers eventually.

Also minor wounds might be inflicted, which will allow your medical staff to train as well. So, yes, I prefer a hospital before a danger room.
I have never done, feels a bit like a cheat. Also I have read that pets caught in the danger room are likely to die and cause unhappiness to their owners.

I normally scatter cage traps around and set up an arena, where my champions fight against beasts and disarmed goblins.
The dining room can have a viewing gallery into the arena for party entertainment.

mh
---

(December 6th, 2012, 15:20)Tasunke Wrote: Why is a danger room a good training room? Just seems like it'd send everydwarf into the hospital ....

(btw, I don't know about in DF, but I'd sure as hell get a small hospital room up and going before making any sort of 'danger room' ...)

(December 6th, 2012, 17:33)mostly_harmless Wrote: Its a room full of weapon traps, but using wooden training weapons.
The traps get activated all the time (via various ways) and the dwarves caught, will train up their dodge and armor skills.
So you end up with legendary dodgers eventually.

Also minor wounds might be inflicted, which will allow your medical staff to train as well. So, yes, I prefer a hospital before a danger room.
I have never done, feels a bit like a cheat. Also I have read that pets caught in the danger room are likely to die and cause unhappiness to their owners.

I normally scatter cage traps around and set up an arena, where my champions fight against beasts and disarmed goblins.
The dining room can have a viewing gallery into the arena for party entertainment.

mh

It's also one of the few ways to level up your guys efficiently. Wrestling and random calesthetics/drills don't level them up as quick. And once they're prepped with dodge and armor use, you can have them fight each other with their weapons of choice. Battle arenas against captured things work well too.
MP
Pitboss Demo - Darrell's Tropical Trolls
PBEM45G - Sareln

spellman are you signing up to play then?

Do they fight each other to teh death though? I'd hate to lose good fighters that way. If not, I suppose its worth the risk of an accidental death here and there.

I like the traps of *wooden* weapons tbh. I wonder if there is some way to keep pets from getting in ...

And yea, getting the medic bay up first is a god thing, so all can train together! :D

No. Soldiers set to train will only "tap" each other during sparring.
No deaths. A real fight in a goblin arena is different though. A lucky scratch and your champion axedwarf might go down just as our adventurers did!

Also fight NOT to the death will be implemented in the next version. So you can fistfight a guy to make your point. The moment somebody draws a weapon the fight will escalate.

mh
---

Well, I think I reached a stopping point for my turnset since it seems I lost my mind.

[Image: Berserk.jpg]

Not sure about what to do here and I think I've been with the save long enough.

Here's the save: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21249278/Dwarf%...egion3.rar

The cave that I discovered is actually way bigger, now that I realized it kept going for some levels down. There's an underground river too (or an aquifer, but it seems to have a current) and a lot of space.