As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

So I'm catching up from over the holidays, only to find I'm dead in yet another game. Sheesh.

Did I ever get a proper burial or am I hanting around right now?

Sheesh. :P
On average, everybody thinks they are above average.

I think only Bigger's remains dissolved in magma. From every other dead dwarf we have at least some body parts in the coffin.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Quote: MH and Gustaran clearly arranged for my dwarf to be promoted into uselessness because they wanted his position. Nobles generally don't do anything.

@uberfish: But you are our most beloved leadear and you have just ascended to your rightful place... leading means delegating, right?
bow

Uber, as our new noble, does he have anything to do, other than to live large in delicious decadence? Masked balls, drinking, frolicking, conquest, anything? If so, what becomes of a dwarf once he's achieved that status?

(...Can we... coup...? mischief )

Nobles mostly do nothing. Meaning they are "On Break" very often.
However, lever pulling jobs are often done by nobles, opening up wide opportunities to device noble-killing traps.

But yes, I chose Uberfish, as he is the rightfully the best candidate to ascend to a higher place.
I don't mind nobles. They do request the building of stuff from time to time, which makes the game more interesting.

Btw. if anyone wants to pick up the game, feel free to tell me. Otherwise I will continue when I have more time.

mh
---

I'll probably pick it up once the current werewolf game is over or I get killed in it.

Sorry for not continuing this for now. Wil pick it up later probably.

However, just wanted to point out one of the new things in the next release.
This is from the dev-blog:
Quote:I'm now working on having goblins run around the town in groups, hunting for the leaders and trying to stop people from fleeing. As usual with this new army stuff, it has to occur at three levels -- from far far away when nothing is loaded, when the site map is realized but no tiles are created, and when a portion of the tiles are generated (because you are there). When leaders are found and dealt with in whatever fashion, it also has to be careful with succession and so on now, which is cool. Once everybody is done running around, we'll move into a more stable occupation, and these'll likely be places you don't want to visit unless you feel like a hero.

Sounds amazing.

mh
---

Is that to enable goblins to conquer towns in adventure mode or is that a fortress mode change?

Its a global change, that will definitely affect adventure mode. How it will affect fortress mode, I don't know. Keep in mind that the whole fortress mode is actually just a spin off of the "real" idea behind the game.

mh
---

Sorry what? Adventurer mode was the original game idea? I thought it was the reverse.

Well, my understanding is that you are eventually to explore the world and take on different roles. Heading a dwarf outpost is going to be just one of those roles.
In any way, the fortress mode was certainly by far the better part of it until they started to flesh out the adventurers mode a lot recently.

Next release will have proper dwarven, elvish and goblin settlements to explore and die in. And tree that span multiple tiles and are climbable.

mh
---