As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Augustus of Arabia: Alliteration Isn't Always Amazing (ad hoc and Merovech)

(January 21st, 2013, 07:31)flug__auto Wrote: Where will your west iron city be?

No choice but will be on the iron, that way we will connect is straight away.

(January 21st, 2013, 07:38)ad hoc Wrote:
(January 21st, 2013, 07:31)flug__auto Wrote: Where will your west iron city be?

No choice but will be on the iron, that way we will connect is straight away.

Sad but true.

Everything set up to overflow the turn we get iron connected? A few quick axes should repel him.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Well Plako decided to attack CC with his force of 3 jags, two axes and 1 spear against which we had 4 archers. As Wellington said "It has been a damned nice thing" but CC held with just 1 archer left at 0.6 strength yikes. One more unit Plako lol lol !!!!!! We're not out of the woods yet as this left Plako with a damaged Jag to the south and a damaged Axe and damaged Spear to the west. To these Plako reinforced with two axes to the south.

Looked bad for CC even with a whip of an Archer in CC, however people often forget that Archers can attack so i attack the damaged Axe and Spear with Archers out of BB and won both (one at 53% and one at 93%)

So the end of the combat sees Plakos two undamaged Axes and damaged Jag facing a damaged archer in CC (with a further 1 whipped), an archer and warrior west of CC, an Archer 2W and 1N of CC and another Archer 2W and 1S of CC. i haven't ended turn because i need to check if theres away to see if a galley is loaded.

Plakos galley has pillaged my fish but has unloaded any troops. i've whipped another archer in BB but if i can tell if Plakos galley is empty i can move the Archer in there out towards CC as well.

Plako has lost 175 hammers against my 75, If CC holds this has been a reasonable trade

i ended by offering Plako a ceasefire. Will he take it, i don't know. his options at CC are limited now.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0053_zpsc8ddc7c5.jpg]

In unrelated news, the galley loaded with the warrior and settler have set out on there six turn voyage to the western iron. If plako accepts the ceasefire i may delay this by a turn to change the warrior for an archer. Note our first GG has now been born, i'm not certain of his use yet.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0054_zps99dc94ce.jpg]

The South is still looking quite nice with iron, gold, wine, crabs and fish already found.

[Image: 10001_zps1ddeb81c.jpg]

And we have an undefended hut to the North

[Image: 30002_zps39734316.jpg]

Question just in case any one is reading Mero's and i's thread. What constitutes a double move?

Any action?
Any action involving moving
Or to be more precise promoting a unit without moving. This does have a profound on our game now and could be the difference between losing or keeping a city?

No expertise on the double move, just wanted to let you know that I do read your thread.

(January 23rd, 2013, 09:25)ad hoc Wrote: Question just in case any one is reading Mero's and i's thread. What constitutes a double move?

Any action?
Any action involving moving
Or to be more precise promoting a unit without moving. This does have a profound on our game now and could be the difference between losing or keeping a city?

In my opinion - anything that affects you vs Someone, that you couldn't do if it were sequential, is a double move. So it comes down to the question of whether the unit could promote if the game were sequential. I'm not 100% sure if the restriction on promotion is movement remaining or at least a turn after the unit earns the XP, but the main question is whether you could have done it last turn and just overlooked it, or not.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Yep, Mardoc nailed it. If you couldn't do it in sequential turns, it's a double move.

(January 23rd, 2013, 11:07)Ceiliazul Wrote: Yep, Mardoc nailed it. If you couldn't do it in sequential turns, it's a double move.

Still confused crazyeye does it work like this

I’ll try and explain it thus

Split 2 turns into A1, D1, A2 and D2 with the official end of turn between D1 and A2

Attacker attacks in A1 and gains EXP and can promote in A2 with the D1 turn inbetween
Defender attacks in D1 and gain EXP and can promote in D2 with the A2 turn inbetween

Defender defends in A1 and gains EXP and can promote in D2 with the D1 and A2 turns inbetween
Attacker defends in D1 and gains EXP and can promote in A2 – no turns in between

So it can be seen that in there is a significant advantage in going first … or am I wrong in how this works

Defenders who survive A1 are able to promote in D1 (same as in PBEM, if attacked, your units don't have to wait to promote.

The main thing to avoid is D1 attacking out, then using promos as soon as the turn rolls (during A2.)

(January 23rd, 2013, 12:13)Ceiliazul Wrote: Defenders who survive A1 are able to promote in D1 (same as in PBEM, if attacked, your units don't have to wait to promote.

The main thing to avoid is D1 attacking out, then using promos as soon as the turn rolls (during A2.)

Doesn't seem to work this way. My archer with 2xp that survived Plakos assault can't promote