As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Augustus of Arabia: Alliteration Isn't Always Amazing (ad hoc and Merovech)

I guess the barb axe was blocking the hill from being worked?
I have to run.

(January 31st, 2013, 17:09)novice Wrote: I guess the barb axe was blocking the hill from being worked?

Except we've been working that tile since at least turn 100, long before the axe even appeared.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

The world situation

FF is now surrounded by an unwounded barb warrior and a wounded Barb axe, i doubt it will survive this time.

Mero,

Building Units, Barracks or a Granary is moot, even if we'd have started a archer (the cheapest defensive unit available) when the first barb axe/bricks chariot appeared we would still be two turns away from completion and there was no way of hurrying the build. Wether a barracks or the granary was better as the first build i'm still debateing in my own head but my gut feeling being at war that getting the culture defense bonus and getting the crabs online quickly would be the best way.

The Killer in this situation was the barb axe taking out the archer in FF at less than 30% odds so all we can do is please

We have statred another settler in AA anyway and hope fully we'll be able to settle again in 7 turns if we lose FF. the gold will be connected next turn and we'll then improve the cows so GG can grow while we're researching Maths. After maths, i don't want to but i think its Construction for cats

[Image: oa0000_zps14bdff6c.jpg]

Yeah, sorry, I got overexcited.
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

well FF is gone although our warrior did kill the axe and did have a 46% chance against the barb warrior, but it was one battle to Far.

Well whats been happening, answer not much although i did notice we're off the bottom of the scoring table smile

We now have a galley with a settler/spear and a galley with an archer ready to unload next turn, i'd like to unload onto the forest hill and then move down onto the iron to settle but that depends on what that Barb warrior does

Maths is now in and i've provisionally set research to Construction, i'd like to go calender or currency but that warmonger Plako is forcing our hand.

Hopefully we'll also have a great person in a few turns and i'm not really certain what to do with him, normally it would be an academy if a Gsci but i'm wondering if a GA might enable us to survive for longer.

[Image: 1120000_zps849c6941.jpg]

We would have to put the production to good use. How soon is the GS coming?

(February 5th, 2013, 10:20)Merovech Wrote: We would have to put the production to good use. How soon is the GS coming?

i'll have to check in game but i thick we can MM one in 6 turns. We would then have to complete construction build some cats, axes and spears and go and raze plako's horse city. i don't think Plako has researched AH or Construction yet but our opportunity to get those horses will be limited

Six turns...how many tiles are working that would benefit from the Golden Age boost?

I would check in game, but I am very busy. Actually, I can check some things this weekend...