As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New FFH/EITB PBEM?

[Problem fixed]
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Can't you load the save you sent me, as if playing it, then end turn and load the next, etc?

I'll be home soon, but that seems easier.
Active in:
FFH-20: Jonas Endain of the Clan of Embers
EITB Pitboss 1: Clan/Elohim/Calabim with Mardoc and Thoth

(February 2nd, 2013, 20:57)Ellimist Wrote: Can't you load the save you sent me, as if playing it, then end turn and load the next, etc?

I don't know why I didn't think of that...

Welp, everything worked correctly, but it turns out that I accidently left the Illians with more vision than the should have. Save er-sent to Ellimist.

Also, no love for the flavor post? cry
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(February 2nd, 2013, 21:24)Merovech Wrote:
(February 2nd, 2013, 20:57)Ellimist Wrote: Can't you load the save you sent me, as if playing it, then end turn and load the next, etc?

I don't know why I didn't think of that...

Welp, everything worked correctly, but it turns out that I accidently left the Illians with more vision than the should have. Save er-sent to Ellimist.

Also, no love for the flavor post? cry

Flavor post is great! I was actually thinking about whether to come up with something like that for a more flavor-ish thread than I typically do.

The save isn't loading properly for me, but it seems to have a problem with my mod install. It says "Could not load initial game data," then "Failed to load setup information," and finally "The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed."

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but as far as I know I haven't changed the assets in my EITB mod folder. I have to rename the folder when I switch back and forth to the v8 pitboss, but as far as I know I'm doing it properly. At least, I was able to play an EITB v9 game through direct IP with tasunke and ryan not long ago.
Active in:

I am going to "second" the love for the flavor post smile.

(February 2nd, 2013, 22:00)Ellimist Wrote: Flavor post is great! I was actually thinking about whether to come up with something like that for a more flavor-ish thread than I typically do.

Thanks!

Quote:The save isn't loading properly for me, but it seems to have a problem with my mod install. It says "Could not load initial game data," then "Failed to load setup information," and finally "The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed."

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but as far as I know I haven't changed the assets in my EITB mod folder. I have to rename the folder when I switch back and forth to the v8 pitboss, but as far as I know I'm doing it properly. At least, I was able to play an EITB v9 game through direct IP with tasunke and ryan not long ago.

Aw, crap. I know I can load it straight from my computer, but I didn't try downloading it from Gmail. Maybe something happened when I uploaded it? I will check that now.

Edit: I can download and play it just fine. I know that when I was getting a similar error in PB8, it was because I had a second copy of the RB Mod hidden away inside my download folder that I forgot to delete. Perhaps something similar has happened with you and EitB v9?

(February 2nd, 2013, 22:23)HidingKneel Wrote: I am going to "second" the love for the flavor post smile.

Thanks!

I'm working with Mardoc on Gchat to figure out how to fix it.

He didn't get the errors I did, and the password screen loaded successfully.
Active in:

I reinstalled the mod and it works fine. I'm going to take a little time for this turn, though, sorry.
Active in:

(February 3rd, 2013, 01:37)Ellimist Wrote: I reinstalled the mod and it works fine. I'm going to take a little time for this turn, though, sorry.

Phew! I hope everyone enjoys the map!