As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Not another elf chick? HidingKneel beats a dead horse. (Spoilers!)

Another turn passed. Mistform pillaged without attacking.

Two turns of worldspell left.

(June 9th, 2013, 00:57)HidingKneel Wrote: Another turn passed. Mistform pillaged without attacking.

Two turns of worldspell left.

How long does it last, in total? Also, I suppose that even if you moved onto the correct tile, you souldn't attack the Mistform, right? Man, mistforms are cold, hard killers.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(June 8th, 2013, 19:02)HidingKneel Wrote: Mistforms: 1
Treants: 0

cry

alright

(June 8th, 2013, 19:02)HidingKneel Wrote: Lurker question: what promos do barbarians take when they run of combat promotions? Is it possible that I'm facing a single mobility-promoted mistform, rather than two? (I've seen two pillages and one attack on the same turn, but haven't seen two attacks on the same turn.)

My experience has been that they'll take Drill promotions after Combat. I can't remember ever seeing an AI unit with Mobility promotions.

(June 9th, 2013, 06:47)DaveV Wrote: My experience has been that they'll take Drill promotions after Combat. I can't remember ever seeing an AI unit with Mobility promotions.

So much for that theory. So, at least two mistforms. Who once again did not attack this turn.

One more turn and I'll be back to square one, minus the worldspell.

Time for plan B. Teching archery.

Another turn.

Finally some good news for a change. One mistform died attacking a treant.

Unfortunately, I think there must be another mistform out there. However, given the sparsity of recent mistform activity, it's possible that it wandered off or something. Only one way to find out. I built a warrior in Volantis' Rest to bring it out of anarchy; we'll see if it's still there next turn. Going to need that warrior soon anyway: there's a barbarian goblin heading my way.

Now, I don't want to press my luck. Moved all my workers out of that area. Means a few wasted worker turns, but better to lose worker turns than actual workers. I'll focus my settling efforts to the NW for the time being.

Swapped my tech back to Warfare. Looks like I can still finish Warfare and Cartography in time to swap civics during my golden age. Of course, if there's another mistform attack, I may switch back to the archery plan. I'll finish archery soon anyway... a semi-experienced Gilden ought to be able to hold the line against further mistform incursions.

Finally, one other bit of good news: got a free Fellowship spread this turn, to Shipbreaker Bay. Sounds like a good place to start cranking out fawns.

Mood: cautious optimism. (Though at best this episode has taken me from "a close third" to "a distant third").

Turn 84.

No mistform attacks! Which let me promote the warrior in Volantis' Rest to Guerrilla I, and fortify it. Not sure if it'll make a difference, but you never know.

Meanwhile, I'm sending a settler NW. I don't think I want to expand much further in that direction, though. Originally I thought it would be a good idea to push my borders towards Ellimist and make sure there was plenty of forests that way. But without my worldspell, forests don't mean as much as they used to. Now I think I just want to delay conflict for as long as possible. Or at least until Mardoc would be involved, too.

Most likely, though, is that Ellimist conquers us before Mardoc is ready to act. Speaking of which: building the Titan is looking a little more dangerous, since it will make our cities look more of a prize. Think I'm going to do it anyway, though.

Warfare in at EOT. Upcoming tech path:

Cartography -> Animal Husbandry -> Mining -> Archery -> Philosophy -> Military Strategy -> Priesthood

possibly inserting Masonry if/when I can secure a source of marble.

Mistforms can come back. (Trust me). So don't let your guard down just yet.

I really hate Mistforms.

Indeed... they can, and they have. cry

Turn 100 update!

[Image: Civ4_Screen_Shot0002.jpg]

jive

jive

So, any Grand Plans for making a comeback?
fnord