As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[TECH] IT and Tech issues thread

Game server: caledorn.no-ip.org:2058 (or 87.252.66.245:2058)
Civstats: http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=2607 (registration pw for all civs: rbpb15)

Again I'm loaning sunrise's excellent tech thread intro:

Access the game via DirectIP connection after loading the mod to the address above. No password is needed (nor will one permit a successful connection) when connecting to the game. Make 100% sure there are no spaces in the field or you'll get an error. Spaces love to crop up unexpectedly, so please double-check this before posting that you can't connect.

The first time a player logs into the game they will be asked to set and confirm a password. This is non-trivial to change, so please make sure you know what it is, can remember it, etc.

In-game you can play as normal. This game is played via simultaneous turns, so you can queue unit actions and builds like normal, even after you end turn. I get asked sometimes, so I'll note you press TAB to chat in-game. When you're done playing please log out via Exit to Main Menu, not Exit to Desktop (which can create connectivity/lag issues).

I have set a 48 hour timer per team for the first turn. Starting next turn the timer will switch to 24 in-game hours. Of course in the future the timer can be tweaked according to the wishes of the players.

I will occasionally save and reload the game due to the ghost package issue. I do this with all Pitbosses I host, and the interval is about every 2-3 weeks. I always avoid doing this when someone is logged in, and it takes about 2-3 minutes.

This game uses Civstats to track the turns and other info, as indicated by the link above. Password is also noted above if you wish to register.

From now on, please let me know if you have any technical concerns in this thread. I can be reached infrequently via forum PM, and easily via email at caledorn at gmail dot com (Also Google Talk/Hangouts - although I seem to be having some problems with getting people who are not in my Google+ to contact me, and vice versa).

Enjoy the game! jive
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Me and Saladin only have 1 tech. That may be an issue.

Pindicator and Scooter seem to be missing techs.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

How did you know I only had one tech, scooter? scared
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(August 29th, 2013, 21:06)scooter Wrote: Me and Saladin only have 1 tech. That may be an issue.

What? How does that even happen? Ugh. Let me look at if I effed up the Worldbuilder save.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

CivStats wink

(August 29th, 2013, 21:10)Merovech Wrote:
(August 29th, 2013, 21:06)scooter Wrote: Me and Saladin only have 1 tech. That may be an issue.

What? How does that even happen? Ugh. Let me look at if I effed up the Worldbuilder save.
Removed Archery from a Monarch AI and went too far? I think Caledorn is going to poke at it.

Well, it's uncanny how he knew I was missing Civil Service. Please fix this, Caledorn!
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Two of the teams lacked techs, so I manually edited the WBSave file to add the techs missing. I had to restart the game after doing that, obviously. wink

Edit: Gods, you guys are speed demons at posting!!
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

(August 29th, 2013, 21:14)pindicator Wrote: Well, it's uncanny how he knew I was missing Civil Service. Please fix this, Caledorn!

Don't tell anyone, but I gave you rifling. The 11 point score is cleverly camouflaged.