As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoiler] First rodeo: Jalepeno takes the bull by the horns.

Hmm very interesting, thanks for that. He seems to be falling into a bit of a long-term trap with regards to teching ad infinitum (at least, I hope so wink). Did the GC get born there?
Have you considered a quick 5-turn (?) worker out of Social Media to keep up with improvements?
Probably just un-assigned, but the grass forest at Incentivize is probably better off as a plains.
Yell0w seems a bit of a hypocrite. Did he reply re:settlement? I think he's probably just bluffing at this point, and hoping you go along with it.
Any progress on the barbs? If he seems quiet, will you take it out?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(September 3rd, 2013, 03:12)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Hmm very interesting, thanks for that. He seems to be falling into a bit of a long-term trap with regards to teching ad infinitum (at least, I hope so wink). Did the GC get born there?
I hope so too! I'm actually not sure if he got the GC. It showed up in the log on T66, and TBS, WK, and Sian all had score increases either T65 or T66. TBS and WK GNP both dropped that turn as well, and WK switched to military state on T66 (I saw it on T67). So that suggests that WK got it, although it's possible that both of them reached military state on the same turn, giving the GC to TBS because of turn order.

(September 3rd, 2013, 03:12)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Have you considered a quick 5-turn (?) worker out of Social Media to keep up with improvements?
Good estimate - I just checked and it would be exactly 5 turns! I'd prefer to keep Socia Media working on the GM to get that up asap. Maybe I can borrow some worker turns from next door quick wins (or even build a worker there; it finishes its GM in two turns).

(September 3rd, 2013, 03:12)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Probably just un-assigned, but the grass forest at Incentivize is probably better off as a plains.
Will go back to a plains forest next turn, but working grass gave just enough food to grow this turn.

(September 3rd, 2013, 03:12)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Yell0w seems a bit of a hypocrite. Did he reply re:settlement? I think he's probably just bluffing at this point, and hoping you go along with it.
Any progress on the barbs? If he seems quiet, will you take it out?
I agree that he's probably bluffing; I haven't heard anything back at all. Networking will start pumping out 2 moroi every 3 turns, so hopefully that will be enough to scare off Yell0w and conquer the barb cities in a reasonable time frame.

Popping in to say this is a nice and detailed thread to read.

Globally lurking though.

A quick question, which might in some way be connected to soon-to-come events in PBEM xXx...

"How do you feel about BW before CoL now, in retrospect?"

And when is "Proactive" going to be founded...(or did I misunderstand the theme?)
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

(September 8th, 2013, 02:11)Molach Wrote: Popping in to say this is a nice and detailed thread to read.
Thanks!

(September 8th, 2013, 02:11)Molach Wrote: Globally lurking though.
nono

(September 8th, 2013, 02:11)Molach Wrote: A quick question, which might in some way be connected to soon-to-come events in PBEM xXx...

"How do you feel about BW before CoL now, in retrospect?"
Hmmm, as it turned out, the barbs have pretty much completely left me alone and until recently my opponents couldn't have been less aggressive. So, despite having two close neighbors, BW first probably wasn't the best play. That said, it enabled the settling of my key border city (Networking) with Yell0w and provided the muscle to keep rapidly expanding without breaking the bank with too many defenders. Even now I'm averaging something like 1.5 units per city. So I don't regret the decision (especially as a newbie to MP who's worried about getting spanked in warfare).

(September 8th, 2013, 02:11)Molach Wrote: And when is "Proactive" going to be founded...(or did I misunderstand the theme?)
haha, I can't believe I didn't have that on my list! I think that should be saved for my first city conquest, or maybe a particularly aggressive border plant. contemplate

Turn 79

And we're back! and somehow I'm behind on turn reports already. shakehead

The bloodpet searching for Sian met an untimely end.

Which means this guy needs to be retasked to find him.
HK is getting too close.

Almost time to turn tech back on

Demos
TBS' GNP is horrifyingly high. coffee He's in a golden age at least (although weirdly enough, it's not showing in the scores, but he started it like 3-4 turns ago, and his tile yields make it obvious).

Turn 80

WK snagged the big, golden naked man.
Better him that TBS.

Yell0w's getting a good view on all the empty land he has to expand on.

So maybe he won't feel the need to aggressively settle up on me...
*sigh* Well, I've got 3 moroi and 3 bloodpets in the area to his 2 warriors...nah, I want to wait until he grows to size 2 before I capture it. I also want to raze his city on my northern border at the same time. devil Time to start building up for that. Ideally that'll also force him to pop his worldspell.

EOT great sage finally popped.

Demos
I'm really curious what my GNP will look like with tech turned back on. I should have enough gold saved up to get all the way to vamps.

That's such a ridiculous settlement - how can he possibly think you'll accept it?
Take ASAP if he has any units coming, IMO.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(September 21st, 2013, 15:59)Qgqqqqq Wrote: That's such a ridiculous settlement - how can he possibly think you'll accept it?
Take ASAP if he has any units coming, IMO.

The frustrating thing is I didn't gain visibility on his settling party until my borders popped EOT. So I'd already put all my core cities on econ builds.

Any units on the way are at least 2 turns out (unless they're those fabled monks he threatened me with). If I can afford to wait just 5 turns before moving in, that'll give me enough time to build 3 moroi to attack his border city in the north (total force 3 moroi, 2 BP) and build a road allowing me to 1-turn this new city. I should have HBR in just 1-2 turns more as well.

Yell0w at least gives the courtesy of emailing me about his planned settlement.
Yell0w Wrote:Hey, I would like to build a friendship as well. I will settle that spot next turn, and if I win the border war you might lose the Wheat. If that happens I will trade the wheat to you, for some kind of token. I think we both would profit from an open borders agreement via trade routes and resource trades, between the two of us we should have pretty much all resources available.
Now the borders are pretty much as they are. I would say the river in the NW would be natural border, in the south we already border, and we aren't too close to each other as that we would get into a culture war down there. You said you don't want to settle to my west. I'd say the goblin camp would be a good border point there I won't settle beyond that to the west and I'll keep cultural overlap to a minimum. The only thing I'd ask is that you don't settle more cities to my N, there is a choke with a hill (where the dungeon was I tried to pop) and I'd see that as a natural border I won't settle on that hill or really close to that hill. If that all sounds agreeable to you only think left to discuss is borders to my SE, there is plenty of jungle but great land under that, so I'd like to know your thoughts on that area.

As you stated a open borders deal without a NAP doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I'd like to know what you would consider a good length for a NAP.

Yell0w

p.s. the city you planted, we disputed about, I thought you'd settle it way closer to my borders. Like it is now we will have a culture war there but as I said if it's about the wheat, that shouldn't be a problem.
TL;DR
I'm ~7 turns from Vampires, now is not the time to be making deals with me.

Turn 81

I decided to clear out the goblin fort this turn rather than heading straight for Yell0w's new city spot.
Sacrificed a bloodpet, but I now have three 2-promo moroi (two of which are undamaged). Here you can see he's planning to build on my planned furs border city, with only three warriors around. I've moved a worker next door (1N of peak) to chop and covered him with a moroi. That'll allow a 1-turn strike, plus getting the chop into Win-win's GM.

Okey dokey, finally time to use this guy.

Which did very good things to research times
Finished HBR eot, trade is 2 turns, feudalism 5. Depending on overflow, I might be able to start making vamps in only 6 more turns. I'm considering throwing in warfare (plus maybe philo+military strategy) first.

Despite the fact that I've almost reached my super unit, I'm still REXing.
Someday I'll learn to turn my focus on pure military, but there's just so many beautiful spots around! Here's one in the NE to firm up my border and bridge towards the eastern barb city (and HK). Will plant on the T65 bear sign.

And here's the clam-dye filler

Demos
Before turning tech on

EOT

Turns 82-83

Assorted screenshots from the last couple turns.

I finally met Sian.
So, do I pop the dungeon and get our relations off on the right foot?

Yell0w's defending his city with 2 warriors...
AND he's building a road to allow me to 1-turn him from my city (I've already built a road on the wheat). His guy on the ancient tower gives him great vision, but if I stick 4 moroi down there (eta, 3 turns), there's nothing he can do to stop me from taking it. I'd love for him to grow to size 2 first though.

The game decides I need more money.

HK beats me to most cities, again.
But I'll be settling TWO cities next turn.

TBS is keeping busy.
Interesting that Yell0w also went order. I wonder who gets Valin? Military state from TBS is worrying.

I'm not ready for war yet.
Too much infra to build first!